Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

File transfer

• 01-07-2007 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

The help centre on my computer mentions that setting up a local area network is the best way to transfer files from one computer to another.
    I've connected the two with an Ethernet cable but I've been told that the network has little or no connectivity.
    Can anyone give me better directions for transfering the files than what my computer can give me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you need to make sure that your ethernet cable is a cross over ethernet cable (same cable but wired differently).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Is the cable you're using a crossover cable? If not its never going to work as a crossover cable is needed to switch the send/receive pins unless you have a router/switch doing the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

As the two previous posters have already said, you need to make sure that you have a cross-over cable, or a regular cable with a cross-over adapter on one end.

In addition, the error message that you're getting is quite specific - it means that your PCs are unable to pick up an IP Address. As you don't have a DHCP server to hand them out, you need to set the IP Addresses on each of the PCs manually. Google for more info on this - it's pretty straightforward.

Of course, this might be overkill. It's not necessarily the best way to transfer files from one PC to another. If this is a once-off (and you don't say), why not use a USB memory stick?

Regards,

Liam

Advertisement