Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

96fm Wind-ups

Options
  • 01-07-2007 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Do ye remember these lads. The few new ones that were on last year weren't quite so good, but the oldies were an absolute classic.I've genuinely never heard a funnier radio wind up than these. ESPECIALLY yer man,Con I think, who they caught out like three times, the first time about the dog licence,quality stuff!
    Anyone else have as fond memories of this as me?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Davedubh

Theyre ****e.Any of the ones i heard were obviously set ups and theyre not even funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

ahh who is an ol stick in the mud?
    btw I happen to know they are not a set up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

has anyone got any of these mp3's, especially the dog licence one. Classic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

dog license call can be heard on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

jaydigity wrote:
    Do ye remember these lads. The few new ones that were on last year weren't quite so good, but the oldies were an absolute classic.I've genuinely never heard a funnier radio wind up than these. ESPECIALLY yer man,Con I think, who they caught out like three times, the first time about the dog licence,quality stuff!
    Anyone else have as fond memories of this as me?!

Believe me it's not so funny when you find out that one of the station's newsreaders (PJ Coogan) was "Con", he was called that because it was a "Con job" the listeners were "Con-ned"!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 concanan

Big Tone wrote: »
    Believe me it's not so funny when you find out that one of the station's newsreaders (PJ Coogan) was "Con", he was called that because it was a "Con job" the listeners were "Con-ned"!

You are wrong, it was not PJ. He was not purposely called Con because it was a con job. The nature of a wind up is to create something funny, not to con people. Most of the wind ups were genuine but on occassion we did make one up. You can only cancell so many weddings!
    I know what I'm talking about because I was Con (AKA Martin Mullen)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

That Con man supposedly did exist and is now dead. Search this forum as there is a link to ALL the windups!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

concanan wrote: »
    You are wrong, it was not PJ. He was not purposely called Con because it was a con job. The nature of a wind up is to create something funny, not to con people. Most of the wind ups were genuine but on occassion we did make one up. You can only cancell so many weddings!
    I know what I'm talking about because I was Con (AKA Martin Mullen)
    We? So whoever you are, Con or not, you're in cohoots with 96 fm and were involved in creating wind ups, I see :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Wish they'd bring this back,was really great.

Is Mick Mulcahy with Red FM now and are they doing windup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I thought that Con guy was genuine :-/. One my friend's gf's knows who was as lived by there. I must ask again.

Cohoots? You make it sound like some kind of conspiricy. I was music director for 96fm for ten years. What people do that work in radio stations all over the world is attempt to entertain their listeners, not try and deceive people like as if they had something to gain by it.

concanan wrote: »
    Cohoots? You make it sound like some kind of conspiricy. I was music director for 96fm for ten years. What people do that work in radio stations all over the world is attempt to entertain their listeners, not try and deceive people like as if they had something to gain by it.

Ok I'm pretty confused now, I first thought you were a guy coming on here claiming to be Con, as in the real person Con! But now you say you're actually a guy who worked with 96fm for 10 years, and you're saying that Con was ficticious, played by yourself when that particular wind up was created?

So what's with all these ppl saying they know of Con and he's real! And it's not just here, same on PROC too, saying he was living in Macroom etc... :confused:

:eek:

Bit odd alright haha

Ok ok, after some googling and concanan's posts I think I have it figured!

soooo I see that concanan is a real person called Martin Mullen, who worked as a producer for 96fm. They ran out of windups and made one up, Martin played the part of Con, it was Martin who lived in Macroom and that's why people thought Con lived in Macroom, and possibly why people know him :)

This and this helped clear it up, along with Concanan's post!

Case closed :P

Man I really should be doing some work rather than "solving" little things like this...

babo9 wrote: »
    Ok I'm pretty confused now, I first thought you were a guy coming on here claiming to be Con, as in the real person Con! But now you say you're actually a guy who worked with 96fm for 10 years, and you're saying that Con was ficticious, played by yourself when that particular wind up was created?

So what's with all these ppl saying they know of Con and he's real! And it's not just here, same on PROC too, saying he was living in Macroom etc... :confused:

:eek:
    Yeh, what more can I say, it is funny though! Oh and yeh, I am from Macroom.

There's no doubt that there are real people like "Con" too in the world. Hope they find one.

The Red FM wind ups are terrible, absolutely awful.

babo9 wrote: »
    Ok ok, after some googling and concanan's posts I think I have it figured!

soooo I see that concanan is a real person called Martin Mullen, who worked as a producer for 96fm. They ran out of windups and made one up, Martin played the part of Con, it was Martin who lived in Macroom and that's why people thought Con lived in Macroom, and possibly why people know him :)

This and this helped clear it up, along with Concanan's post!

Case closed :P

Man I really should be doing some work rather than "solving" little things like this...
    OK...I was in court one day back in the eighties for a minor traffic ofence. Up before me was this farmer on a dog licence charge, it was so funny the whole court were in stiches. It always stuck in my mind and that's how Con was invented, I just had this idea and we went for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭waterford mma

i bought all six series years ago. if anyone wants a copy pm me for more details :D

• Advertisement

I thought Con did exist. A friend of mine supposedly knew him and his sister. He also had a brother. He died a few years ago.
    I always thought that was a genuine wind up.

Just realised that the voice on -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H90HgEIw5c0&feature=related
    a fella talking to N. Prenderville re golf is exactly the same guy who had the Poodle wind up!

We were all wound up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭applehunter

I always remember the one with the "Chocolate Plonkers"

The girl being wound up had a real infectious laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

PcAngel wrote: »
    Is Mick Mulcahy with Red FM now and are they doing windup?

traitor, by the way, anyone know where i can get hold of RED FM wind ups?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tigerli

traitor, by the way, anyone know where i can get hold of RED FM wind ups?

Certainly not a traitor, 96FM pushed him out the door......their loss now ha ha

Advertisement