Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are NTL blocking torrents?

Options
  • 01-07-2007 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭

Sorry I know this is probably a regular thread here but I can't find any defintive answer and would like to know what people think.

Basically I'm convinced NTL are blocking P2P traffic and in particular torrents. I have ports open on my d-link router for bittorrent and my client shows that I have the correct ports open but I still get really poor download/upload speeds. The strange thing is it seems to come and go in waves, for maybe an hour I'll be at maximum download speed then it'll drop right down to 1kb/s for a day or two? Its been on and off like this the last few months whereas previously(Maybe a year ago) it was consistently reliable?

Did I miss something? Should I change my torrent client?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

It's been consistantly good for me for the past year and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

feylya wrote:

Which client are you using?

UTorrent, Azereus and Ktorrent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Sorry I know this is probably a regular thread here but I can't find any defintive answer and would like to know what people think.

Basically I'm convinced NTL are blocking P2P traffic and in particular torrents. I have ports open on my d-link router for bittorrent and my client shows that I have the correct ports open but I still get really poor download/upload speeds. The strange thing is it seems to come and go in waves, for maybe an hour I'll be at maximum download speed then it'll drop right down to 1kb/s for a day or two? Its been on and off like this the last few months whereas previously(Maybe a year ago) it was consistently reliable?

Did I miss something? Should I change my torrent client?
    Speeds change? It's hardly just contention? Any other users using your connection at the same time as you torrenting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

When I had them a few months ago I was *CERTAIN* that they were applying traffic shaping during the day/evening. Not overnight though.

• Advertisement

When I had them a few months ago I was *CERTAIN* that they were applying traffic shaping during the day/evening. Not overnight though.

I'm pretty certain this is whats going on because when I went to bed last I had a few torrents running which had been stuck on 2/3% for the last few days then this morning they have jumped to 50%! I also considered that the contention on the line during the day might be causing it but I ran speedtest and downloaded files from Heanet and they were all maxing out the download speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Isn't there some feature of uTorrent (and maybe Azureus) to get around that?

Protocol Encryption or Obfuscation or something? Try switching that on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Yeah the problem with the encryption feature is you can only have encrypted communications with other clients that support encryption and have it turned on. And depending on how smart NTL's throttling system is, it might catch you anyway

I've figured out that public torrents are the only ones that are exceptionally slow for me. When using privately tracked torrents I get full speed all the time. This is kind of strange because most of the public torrents I use would have much more seeders that the private ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Try forcing it down port 80. I did that with ours when we were getting slow speeds on torrents on IBB and they jumped up to full speed again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Right, is this how traffic shaping works??

Started using Azureus and tried to download a legit movie trailer from their Vuze service. It started off for about 30 seconds at full tilt, connecting to several peers pretty quickly. Speeds up to about 120kBs. Then, suddenly, all the peers were wiped from the peer list instantly, 0 speed. Some slowly connect soon after, but are wiped quickly again.

Now either its Peerguardian blocking them or its NTL - could well be Peerguardian though. Other torrents really at a crawl as well though. :(

Will leave on overnight and see if anything happens...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

I've figured out that public torrents are the only ones that are exceptionally slow for me. When using privately tracked torrents I get full speed all the time. This is kind of strange because most of the public torrents I use would have much more seeders that the private ones?

This is completely normal.

On private trackers people want to upload as much and as fast as they can to boost their ratio, so the speeds should be much faster. Also there should be much less leechers.

Most peers on public trackers would have there upload speed limited, and people usually stop seeding soon after their download is finished.

plazzTT wrote:
    This is completely normal.

On private trackers people want to upload as much and as fast as they can to boost their ratio, so the speeds should be much faster. Also there should be much less leechers.

Most peers on public trackers would have there upload speed limited, and people usually stop seeding soon after their download is finished.

Yeah I suppose that makes sense. The only thing is that I used to always get good speeds on public torrents and only recently have they slowed right down do on average 1 or 2kbs. I can live with that I suppose

mollser wrote:
    Right, is this how traffic shaping works??

Started using Azureus and tried to download a legit movie trailer from their Vuze service. It started off for about 30 seconds at full tilt, connecting to several peers pretty quickly. Speeds up to about 120kBs. Then, suddenly, all the peers were wiped from the peer list instantly, 0 speed. Some slowly connect soon after, but are wiped quickly again.

Now either its Peerguardian blocking them or its NTL - could well be Peerguardian though. Other torrents really at a crawl as well though. :(

Will leave on overnight and see if anything happens...:o

:( Azureus disabled my internet connection, again. Its a bit buggy that software it seems. Will try again with Utorrent over the weekend and revert!

Any NTL employees reading that know for sure what the story is??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Azureus is nowhere near as good as Utorrent IMO. Had problems with Azureus and crap speeds before switching to Utorrent.

For some reason, even though the ports were open on the firewall and set in Azureus correctly (checked all documentation), speeds would start off okay and then plummit to almost nothing or nothing. Then it would spike to about 10KB/s at time but never much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭alhimself

brim4brim wrote:
    Try forcing it down port 80. I did that with ours when we were getting slow speeds on torrents on IBB and they jumped up to full speed again.

hey havin problems with ibb and torrents,used to fly at 100KBS even only a few seeding but for the last 2/3 months if not more im lucky if i can top 20 with a whole bunch of 'em.speedtest have the connection runnin grand.so i was thinking ibb was limiting it,running games online has become a nightmare too where the ping'll jump to 500 for a min and drop down again.even then the ins and outs are horrible. now qouting brim4brim how do you this even for bittorrent,the ports only start at 1024 in the options window under the network tab
    any help much appreciated,
    oh and just another thing,was going to get onto ibb and say it 'em but a little freaked if i start mentioning torrents n stuff,anyone know how they stand?is it kosher?
    aL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭yan

feylya wrote:

and what about the traffic limitations mate?

i was looking the other day their plans and the most expensive one has 30GB per month traffic limit....

this is nothing when i normally need about 10GB per day!!!!

any hints?

thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

alhimself wrote:
    oh and just another thing,was going to get onto ibb and say it 'em but a little freaked if i start mentioning torrents n stuff,anyone know how they stand?is it kosher?
    aL

I'm with IBB too. Which sites are you using. The public trackers have gone to crap for me but with the legal stuff happening with torrentspy and isohunt I'm kind of steering clear of those from now on anyway. The private trackers are fine though so for me it's not the ISP.
    If you're going to be brining it to their attention make sure you have a torrent for some Linux ISO that is giving you trouble.

yan wrote:
    and what about the traffic limitations mate?

i was looking the other day their plans and the most expensive one has 30GB per month traffic limit....

this is nothing when i normally need about 10GB per day!!!!

any hints?

thanks

Well, they allow for about a gig a day which is usually good enough for home users. They're not overly strict on it either.

feylya wrote:
    Well, they allow for about a gig a day which is usually good enough for home users. They're not overly strict on it either.

and what about someone who is into online gaming? can ntl provide?

cause 1GB per day seems REALLY low limit for me

thanks

• Advertisement

Online gaming won't eat a gig a day. I play CSS and Eve online daily as well as downloading and it's grand.

feylya wrote:
    Online gaming won't eat a gig a day. I play CSS and Eve online daily as well as downloading and it's grand.

ok thanks mate, unfortunately 1gb is not enough for me per day.

but thanks for the infos :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

The ISP certainly does affect the torrent speed. I have both NTL and Eircom. Some good torrents download at fill throttle on either, but not so good ones are strange. I don't usually use private trackers.

I'm not sure exactly why, but one torrent might work on NTL (10-20kB), switch over to Eircom and it might die, but another torrent will work (similar speed) that didn't on NTL.

Also, NTL is rubbish all the time, but Eircom is usually pretty fast at night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I don't understand that. You're saying some torrents come down at full speed but when other ones from the same tracker to the same PC come down at a slower speed it's the ISPs fault? Is that correct?

Right, left 5 torrents downloading all night - 1 came down at a good pace at about 120kBs, the others are dripping very slowly, anything from 0 to 4kBs.

Would indicate that there's little traffic shaping through the night if one of them could come at that speed. But why not the others? Seeds are ok on them all

Are torrents just not working as well as they used to in general??

Edit - have another well seeded torrents 2 flying down now - starting to really think torrents in general just not as good as they used to be...

Edit2 - and now they've both stopped - aaarrrggghhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

yan wrote:
    and what about someone who is into online gaming? can ntl provide?

cause 1GB per day seems REALLY low limit for me

thanks

There's no ISP here that has a cap that will allow a home user to download 10Gb a day.

matrim wrote:
    There's no ISP here that has a cap that will allow a home user to download 10Gb a day.

smart telecom mate

over 300 gb per month and no problems at all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

The definitive answer is YES. NTL have traffic shaping. Try using another p2p, such as DC++ and you will see connections being closed and dropping or running at less than 1kps.

NTL suck.

Kernel wrote:
    The definitive answer is YES. NTL have traffic shaping. Try using another p2p, such as DC++ and you will see connections being closed and dropping or running at less than 1kps.

NTL suck.

Yep this is true, I just turned on DC++ after having not used it in months and nearly every download I tried started off great but dropped down to a few kb/s after a minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

I am trying to get torrents up and running on a friends computer,its connected to ntl max pack 6mg and the torrents are running at 5-10kbps
    the broadband repotrts a speed test of about 1meg so they definately have enough bandwidth,ive tried encrypting the torrents,tried bittorrent,azureus and utorrent
    nothing seems to be working,does anyone have any ideas on how to get around this traffic shaping if thats what causing it?

Advertisement