Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are NTL blocking torrents?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Have you done port forwarding etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

i tested a few ports in the configuration wizard,they all failed
    the default setting waas on 14495 i think and i tried this and about 10 other ports but all failed,ranging right up to 60000 and still download speeds of 5k on well seeded torrents on 6meg broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yep I am still expeariencing teh traffic shaping. Yes I so have all ports forwarded correctly, and yes I have tried the enctyptio on utorrent (and I think azureus aswell) and that hasnt worked. I am very annoyed. Seeing as it seems that private trackers are not affected too badly( I dont know I am just going by what other people have said, I havnet downloaded anything off of a private tracker in a long time) do you think its possible that Either NTL or one of the companies that actually provide the internet links(backhaul? ) could possibly be severly limiting bandwidth to a number of public trackers??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

my friend is going to call ntl and cancel his 6meg contract if he cant torrent at reasoable speeds so il keep u all informed of what happens and if theres anyway way around it
    if anyone finds a fix before that please let us know,thx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Easiest way to test it is to get a torrent of a really popular tv show late on the day it was released. You'll usually have several thousand seeders with a very high ratio to leechers, all on a public tracker. 90% of the time it'll be at max speed throughout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

However there are lots of legal use of torrents, that is illegal and can't be discussed here. Get TV aerial, Satellite Dish, Cable etc or wait for the DVD box set. Better quality too, and doesn't slow down the Internet for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Left a very well seeded torrent on a semi private tracker running all night and it barely budged.

Using Utorrent, port 65505. I have opened this specific port in Windows SP2 firewall. On NTL, am I correct in saying you cannot port forward? I'm using the small purple modem (NTL:250??) plugged directly into the PC via ethernet. Encryption is turned on in Utorrent settings, although turning it off makes no difference.

Utorrent continues to tell me that the port is not open, even though I do on occasion get quite good speeds. These occasions are fewer and fewer though.

I have no other firewalls running, only other thing on computer is AVG Free anti virus and peerguardian.

For those who have few problems with torrents on NTL, can you give me a steer here? And if anyone can advise step by step as to how to open ports on that NTL modem specifically, and if any other tips to try - increase number of connections in Utorrent or something?

No you cannot open up ports or change anything really on NTL modems. I dont bother with encryption because as far as I understand, then you can only connect to other people using encryption, and there are likly to be fewer of these people, also I dont think it really makes any difference to the speed you are going to get off of NTL anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Ntl do not seem to watch their caps at all. In the last 6 months ive pulled over 2TB in both directions through them. And no letters or anything.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Anti wrote:
    Ntl do not seem to watch their caps at all. In the last 6 months ive pulled over 2TB in both directions through them. And no letters or anything.

Famous last words?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anti wrote:

Nice! Actually maybe you live next door to me and thats why everything is crawling :eek:

lol. No they do watch the caps although it seems at random. A few months ago they sent out letters to loads of people on one go saying that we had all gone over the limit.

Advertisement