Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT reduction for hybrids/flexfuels to end on 31 Dec 07

Options
  • 01-07-2007 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

The 50% reduction in VRT for such vehicles is to go.

From http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/vrt1.htm#11

This relief is confined to category A or B vehicles and expires on 31 December 2007.

Means one of two things: the VRT/roadtax system is actually going to change on Jan 1 2008, or, the govt and its civil servants are more stupid than originally thought.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Why more stupid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

kbannon wrote:
    Why more stupid?
    Ok, I suppose that's an impossibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'd say the VRT system is changing. I have heard unconfirmed reports that the revenue want to charge VRT by how much emissions an engine produces (or maybe that was the tax...)

Either way, with the greens in, they want a change to the entire motor tax system.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A change to an emissions based road tax is a certainty.

The VLC's for new cars have contained the co2 emissions for some time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

tsk - going from one crap & unfair system to another because it sounds good!

• Advertisement

Initially when I read this, I looked at is as a bad thing.

But if the system is to be overhauled in the way the govt originally claimed then vrt and tax on hybrids could actually go down. On the flip side the tax will probably go up on anything 2 litre or above, moreso if it's petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Anyone know what's the VRT situation with imported hybrids?

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    Anyone know what's the VRT situation with imported hybrids?
    Normal rules for hybrids apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Looks like Volvo dealers will have to push all the FF S40 / V50 they've started stocking and get rid of them before the end of the year! Crazy situation where you can buy the 1.8SE (Leather etc.) for less than the 1.6i S model.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JHMEG wrote:
    or, the govt and its civil servants are more stupid than originally thought.

Or perhaps the government, just like Toyota and Honda, copped on very late that diesel rather than petrol hybrid is they way to go for the short to medium term ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

God i hate our tax system....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

R.O.R wrote:
    Looks like Volvo dealers will have to push all the FF S40 / V50 they've started stocking and get rid of them before the end of the year! Crazy situation where you can buy the 1.8SE (Leather etc.) for less than the 1.6i S model.

If the road tax position changes next year to an emmissions based one, this may not be necessary.

Imagine for example €100 p.a. for your flexi fuel vehicle and €5000 for a gas guzzling mpv?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

No way any category is going to cost less after they change the system, thats for sure !

Someone told me the Yanks did a survey whereby they proved that a Hummer had a smaller carbon footprint than a new Toyota !! I haven't any other details of this BTW !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

This has been going around for a while now.

The government’s proposals are already available to view:
    http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/MotorTaxConsultation/

They propose different CO2 categories and if your car is over 200co2/km, VRT and road tax will be higher then what it is now.

and if your car is between 100-150co2/km, VRT and road tax should be lower then what it is now.

If you’re buying a high powered car buy it before Dec 07 and if you buying a small economical car wait till Jan 08

This is only a proposal and will probably change or be more complicated than above.

Bottom line is any system brought in will have to be "revenue neutral" which means if VRT/Road tax drops, petrol/diesel price go up to compensate.

unkel wrote:
    Or perhaps the government, just like Toyota and Honda, copped on very late that diesel rather than petrol hybrid is they way to go for the short to medium term ;)
    How did you reach that conclusion? Neither Toyota or Honda are bringing out diesel hybrids.

The next logical step for them is flexfuel hybrids, as they both make flexfuel cars for the Brazillian market, and they both obviously make hybrids.

Unlike their euro counterparts, the Japanese don't have much love for diesel.

I reckon Mc-BigE is somewhat correct. Low CO2 emissions tax/vrt will go down. Average, and things stay as they are. Higher than average and everything goes up. Current average cc is between 1.7 and 1.8 litre according to the CSO.

Fuel cell technology looks promising too.

JHMEG wrote:
    How did you reach that conclusion? Neither Toyota or Honda are bringing out diesel hybrids

I didn't make my point very well. What I meant was non-hybrid diesel instead of (full) hybrid petrol

unkel wrote:
    I didn't make my point very well. What I meant was non-hybrid diesel instead of (full) hybrid petrol
    Diesel is not the way of the future, imho.

But anyway, we should see what way it'll go in Jan. I expect (& hope) hybrids and flexfuels will be cheaper when the new regime comes in.
    Fuel cell technology looks promising too.
    Potentially the holy grail. Fuel supply will be a problem. Honda's FCX will be hitting the streets next year in the US. For now Honda plan on supplying the hydrogen themselves.
    honda_fcx_27_09_06.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

JHMEG wrote:
    Unlike their euro counterparts, the Japanese don't have much love for diesel.

...which is kind of irrelevant. If the market want diesels, it'll get diesels, and if Honda & Co don't get on the bandwagon, they won't sell product.

Proof: they avoided it long enough, but were forced to invent the Ctdi engine, and guess what? It's actually very good. See, that wasn't so hard now Honda, was it ?:rolleyes: Pity about the 10yrs worth of sales lost to the rest of the manufacturers while they stuck their head in the sand.....

All they need now is to do a 1.7 version and they world'll be their oyster, just don't take 10 years to do that............

And with the markets of France and Italy now being in excess of 70% for diesel, well hey...........there's a reason PSA make the 1.4 Hdi...............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote:
    ...which is kind of irrelevant. If the market want diesels, it'll get diesels, and if Honda & Co don't get on the bandwagon, they won't sell product.
    The US and JDM markets don't particularly want diesel. These are Honda's 2 biggest markets by far. The 2.2 ctdi was only really brought out for the euro market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

If the new system is based exclusively on CO2 emissions, I predict a massive increase in the sale of BMWs (MINIs)and diesels in General next year here.

BMWs because they are so efficient with the Efficient Dynamics technology, so good it can even beat a Hybrid on petrol alone (the 530i does 37.7 mpg versus the GS450`s 35.8 mpg, and not only that but the BMW is faster from 0 to 60)
    http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/pricesandspecifications/0,,1156___bs-NQ%3D%3D%40bb-TEk%3D,00.html

http://www.lexus.co.uk/lexus_cars/gs/gs450h/specifications/specifications_index.asp?model=GS%20450h&spec=FUEL+CONSUMPTION

Diesels for the reasons everyone knows. I dont think Hybrids will, simply because they have such a huge discount already, and there will be diesels on sale next year and even dare I say it Petrols next year which wont be far off the CO2 emissions of some Hybrids.

As for the US and diesels, 2 of the `big three`in the US are introducing Diesels next year, Ford on the US`s best selling vechile, the F150, and the non Merc part of what was Daimler Chrysler are haqving a big roll out of Diesels, the Merc 3 litre CDI engine is being rolled out in too many Dodges, Chryslers, and Jeeps to mention. Of course Jeep already offer this engine in the Grand Cheeroke there. And Honda are bringing it out in the Accord therre in 2009, VAG are rollibng out the 2 litre TDI 140 bhp engfine next year there, Mercs plans and BMWs plans for the US are well known as regards diesels for the US.

I would say that by 2010, Diesels will account for at least 20% of the US market.

E92 wrote:
    If the new system is based exclusively on CO2 emissions, I predict a massive increase in the sale of BMWs (MINIs)and diesels in General next year here.
    The celtic tiger is coming to an end, or haven't you heard!

E92 wrote:
    I would say that by 2010, Diesels will account for at least 20% of the US market.

Bold and interesting prediction. I wouldn't bet against it though!

Advertisement