Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope of this forum

Options
  • 01-07-2007 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

IMO there is a problem with this cycling forum, it is listed as "For bicycle sport discussions" in the forum index and it is part of the "sports" hierarchy. The "only high end sports bikes are allowed to be offered for sale" rule also points to the sports only designation of the forum. Yet the forum is frequently being used to discuss utilitarian or leisure cycling.

This is an issue for the mods, but I think it is useful to get the opinions of those of us who use this forum on whether or not this constitutes a problem, and if so how to address it.

My own thoughts:

Cycling could fall into three main categories: sport, utilitarian (commuting, going to the shops etc.) and leisure. Good reasons to split up a forum into multiple forums are: the number of messages becomes too large, or people only interested in one category are bothered by messages on other categories. Afaics neither applies to boards.ie/sports/cycling. Ideally I'd like to generalise the cycling forum by moving it out of the sports hierarchy, but since boards.ie doesn't have a main category under which a "general" cycling forum would fit, my preference is to ask the mods to change the forum description and update the charter to say that utilitarian or leisure cycling is on topic, but leave it in the sports hierarchy.

What do you want? 2 votes

Change the forum description and update the charter, leave it in the sports hierarchy
    0% 0 votes
    Update the charter, non sports discussions are off topic and create other groups if desired
    100% 2 votes
    Generalise the forum scope by moving it out of the sports hierarchy
    0% 0 votes
    Do nothing
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

At worst, this strikes me as a problem of classification. I see no need to divide the forum up.

Besides, there is an area where the distinction between cycling as sport/recreation and cycling as transport is blurred: touring. Therefore, dividing the forum up would give rise to a new classificatory problem i.e. where threads to do with touring would go!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I ride for sport but find some of the other comments interesting. The forum isn't so heavily used that you can't find what you are looking for. Leave well enough alone.

Can you please outline how you had difficulty browsing the forum or are you just anally retentive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I suspect most users of this forum aren't even aware of a "charter" (I certainly haven't read it). People post all sorts of bike and cycling related topics here without any trouble. I don't think there's an issue to be addressed at all.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

nothing wrong with the forum the way it is.

if you really have an issue take it to feedback or request new forums in the foums forum..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I like the forum as it is tbh. I like the variety and it’s always one of the forums I read each time I log on. I cycle mainly to commute and the occasional leisure ride once a week. Looking to get more serious now and have started to train for what will hopefully be entry into a few races next season so this forum covers everything I need really. I wouldn't like to see a two tier system where by the forum only tolerates serious riders with shiny 4000 euro bikes while the rest of us get relegated to sub forums. I'm interested in all the cycling topics posted - sporting / touring / commuting and it's nice to have them all in one place.

Maybe if fourm traffic increased significantly it would warrent segregation but I don't think it's at that stage yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

forum is fine as it is to be honest,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

as above. nothing needs changing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

This thread is off-topic, please discuss in the appropriate meta-forum (see charters).

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement