Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billboard type thing

Options
  • 01-07-2007 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭

This question was put to me last friday:

Run an announcement/Billboard type thing on 2 big plasma screens using internet explorer.

Now, the first and obvious thing I thought of was just to use Powerpoint and run it on a loop. But the problem is content. Content would need to be updated by people who have no knowledge of powerpoint or anything like that.

So what was suggested was some kind of php script that called a MySQL DB, and could be updated by whoever was using it, if such a thing existed.

Anyone heard of anything like this or have any other ideas? thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 replicantface

Easiest way is to use Flash. The frontend can run in IE, look as nice as you want and all content can be input and read from XML files on the backend.

I worked on a system like this for an Estate Agent a while back. If you need any help give me a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

I never even considered Flash. Thanks buddy, that's a great help!

I might give you a shout if it goes ahead.

Much obliged

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

chamlis wrote:
    Now, the first and obvious thing I thought of was just to use Powerpoint and run it on a loop. But the problem is content. Content would need to be updated by people who have no knowledge of powerpoint or anything like that.

What ever system you decide on, the company are going to have to receive some level of training anyway.

If you develop an in-house app they will require some level of training on it. If you use PP then they will have to be shown how to edit the file amongest other things

I would use PP myself as it will scale a lot better across two plasma screens than Flash.

You could spend ages trying to get the presentation to look 'just right' on the plasma screens if you use flash because of resolution issues. Unless of course you are going to create the flash file while using the two plasma screens instead of a monitor.

If you decide to use a MYSQL/PHP backend then you're going to have to setup a local server enviornment too. Are you going to show the business how to do some simple troubleshooting for this if it goes wrong?

Powerpoint is the obvious choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Powerpoint is the obvious choice.

...on condition that they (a) have Microsoft Office Professional and (b) know how to use PowerPoint! ;)
    chamlis wrote:
    Content would need to be updated by people who have no knowledge of powerpoint or anything like that.

If you separate content from display functionality you will end up with far less problems, so, it depends on the application....if

(a) they will just be adding text and images
    (b) what they will be adding is relatively standard, and
    (c) you can set up a MySQL DB on a server with PHP access

...then it should be relatively easy to set up PHP with an admin panel, along with a Flash or jQuery front-end, and they can add the content without breaking anything.

Open-source where possible, people! None of this proprietary crap unless absolutely essential!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Liam, my point is that they will need training on whatever system is decided upon. Saying they can't use PowerPoint doesn't mean it should be ruled out due to a lack of understanding of the system. The programmed alternative would require training as well.

Have you considered using the OO product Impress to create powerpoint slides? Power Point Viewer is a free app which allows you to open ppt files, but you can't edit them. It's the most cost free alternative to your dilemma.

I would personally avoid developing an application for this. It's complete over kill for such a trivial task.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

The question asked of me was if it was possible to do easily and cheaply.

So, you know, if it is too much trouble to do then it just won't happen. But all the ideas so far are good and much appreciated.

Advertisement