Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gsxr 600

• 01-07-2007 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum crack, so don't crucify me straight away if i'm doin it wrong.
    I'm having a problem with my Suzuki GSXR 600 k1. (2001). It's making a ticking sound when i'm driving along the road. The ticking sound gets faster the higher the rev. When i clutch and freewheel the bike, the ticking stops.
    When the bike is at a stand still and i just rev the bike, there's no ticking sound. I reckon it's possibly a problem in the gear box. Has anyone had a similer problem? or does anyone know what's wrong?
    Any feedback is appreciated!
    Also does anyone know of a good bike shop in Dublin area for fixing bikes as i am new to the area.
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Citroen Guru

Had a similar problem with my 89 GSX 750. A clicking noise that went faster with the road speed. I think it was to do with the chain. It seemed a bit loose and the back wheel wasn't properly in alignment. I tightened the chain and put the wheel straight. Noise is much better but not completely gone. Examined the chain with a magnifying glass but can't see anything obvious. Only does it under load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭dhev

Had a similar problem with my 89 GSX 750.
    Cheers for the reply, i'll have to check that at the weekend when i get a chance. I feared the worst that it was the gear box and couldn't think what else it could be.
    Once again. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Check the chain first as it could be this. I'm the same with strange sounds, always fear the worse. If the sound changes when you switch gears it may be gearbox related but if it's only linked with speed it's most likely the chain or sprockets.

Check the chain first as it could be this. I'm the same with strange sounds, always fear the worse. If the sound changes when you switch gears it may be gearbox related but if it's only linked with speed it's most likely the chain or sprockets.

Cheers man. Have just started using boards and it's a great way to get second opinions on bike trouble shooting.

Cheers.

Will check this stuff at Week end, and update thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

To be honest it sounds like clutch or gearbox trouble to me.

Clicking from the chain is usually a case of bad maintanance, ie dry chain catching on the sproket teeth, poorly adjusted. Thats easily remedied, you could even check for noises from there with the bike on a stand or even free wheeling it, engine off. You'll hear, and in the case of a chain in need of dire attention 'feel' it.

You might check your gearbox oil levels too, some bikes get noisy when the levels are low.

Failing all that, bring it to a mechanic. Most will give it a once over check free of charge.

Regards

• Advertisement

Mairt wrote:
    To be honest it sounds like clutch or gearbox trouble to me.

Clicking from the chain is usually a case of bad maintanance, ie dry chain catching on the sproket teeth, poorly adjusted. Thats easily remedied, you could even check for noises from there with the bike on a stand or even free wheeling it, engine off.

Brought my bike to Blakestown motorcycles.
    A guy there put back wheel up on a paddock stand and spun the rear wheel slowly and found that it was the front sprocket wearing unevenly. Booking bike in for a full service and new chain and sprockets next week.
    Cheers to all for the help.

Advertisement