Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The cancellations thing...

Options
  • 01-07-2007 2:14pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting way ahead of myself here because I haven't even gotten my Theory Test sorted, but I'm just asking out of interest.

Do it have to be a letter from your employer if you want to be put forward for a cancellation/earlier test?

Obviously the rules have to be there, otherwise everyone would apply for one, but in my current situation I don't have an employer and I work freelance for various companies.

If I managed to get something from one of them, would it do the job? After all, just because I haven't got a set employer doesn't mean I'd need the car any less.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

flogen wrote:
    Do it have to be a letter from your employer if you want to be put forward for a cancellation/earlier test?
    No it's not necessary. The problem with the employer's letter is that half the country are doing it.

The crucial thing to enable you to be called quickly is your willingness to be called at short notice. A large percentage of candidates cancel their test. The department are delighted if others can fill these places but, obviously, they can only give a few days notice.

Put "I am willing to be tested at very short notice" in a prominent place on your application form.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

No it's not necessary. The problem with the employer's letter is that half the country are doing it.

The crucial thing to enable you to be called quickly is your willingness to be called at short notice. A large percentage of candidates cancel their test. The department are delighted if others can fill these places but, obviously, they can only give a few days notice.

Put "I am willing to be tested at very short notice" in a prominent place on your application form.

Yeah, might do that.

I'll be sure to hold off my application until I'm somewhat competent too - the original thinking was to apply for the full licence straight after getting my provisional, but if I put the short notice thing on and get called on it I'd be screwed!

Advertisement