Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grants 2007/2008

Options
  • 01-07-2007 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Bit confused here. Would be very appreciative of any help anyone can give me. In September I'll be starting in Athlone IT. I'll be living about 10 minutes away from the college but I'll be going back home at weekends and I'm from Stradbally, Co. Laois so that's a 50 mile journey. What's the story, adjacent or non adjacent? I know I'll get the full amount, whatever that is this year. Up on last years figures I think.

Can anyone help?

- J

Comments

The residency requirement depends on where you lived last October, which would be Stradbally, and thus greater than 24 km from Athlone IT (isn't it?!), so you'd be non-adjacent.

The figures have been released here: http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?maincat=10861&pcategory=10861&ecategory=10876&sectionpage=13637&language=EN&link=link001&page=1&doc=36483

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Thanks a million, Myth. Greatly appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

i know im gonna sound completely daft here but would any one mind giving a quick run-down on how to apply for the grant??

There's an application form you've to fill out, which you get from your County Council / VEC. You're entitled to a grant if you adhere to several conditions, one of which being a limit on the income both you and your parents received (if you are classified as being dependent on them, and not an independent mature candidate). Also, there are residency requirements.

There's 7 steps on my website, it's a bit messed-up at the moment as I'm updating it for 2007/8 but the general information is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Does anyone know if the forms are out yet or when they will be if they're not already?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

There out alright, I have my one already from 1 week ago.

Myth, I have no idea how much I'm entitled to get yet, but would like to know.

I think I would be entitled to the full maintenance grant of 3420euro.

If I were entitled to the Top-Up Grant, would this mean that I could get an extra 2860euro on top of it making it 6280euro. I'm not sure about this, or do you only get 2860euro if you qualify for your whole grant or what's the situation?????

Nope, it's added on to the main grant, so in total you'd receive €6,600 or so.

Hence, "top-up" :)

So, what are the requirements for the Top-Up Grant?

I looked on your site and other VEC sites, and it told me to go to the education.ie website but couldn't find the info there I needed.

Jane_LS_88 wrote:
    Does anyone know if the forms are out yet or when they will be if they're not already?

Should have edited my post, but how-and-ever...

Yeah, as Lucas10101 said they've been out for a week or two. To get one, you need to contact your Council or VEC and they'll send one out to you. There are sample ones (for information only) available on the Education website:

Application form (PDF): http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/ss_grant_application_web.pdf
    Application form notes (PDF): http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/ss_grant_notes.pdf?language=EN

Lucas10101 wrote:

I looked on your site and other VEC sites, and it told me to go to the education.ie website but couldn't find the info there I needed.

From http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/education/third-level-education/fees-and-supports-for-third-level-education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses:
    Special rates of grants for disadvantaged students

Disadvantaged students who meet a number of conditions can qualify for special rates of grants.

Applicants must qualify for the ordinary maintenance grant for the academic year 2007/2008 and total reckonable income in the tax year January to December 2006 must not exceed €18,055 net of Child Dependant Allowances and standard exclusions.

For students, including mature students, who are assessed on parent(s)/guardian income, their parent(s)/guardian must, on 31 December 2006, have been:

* Claiming long-term social welfare payments, or
    * Claiming Family Income Supplement or
    * Participating in designated programmes (for example, a FÁS training programme).

For students who are assessed on their own income, on 31 December 2006, the student must have been receiving an eligible (long-term) social welfare payment (including long-term Jobseeker's Allowance) or Family Income Supplement or participating in a designated programme.
    Special rates for 2007/2008

The full rates of the special maintenance grant are €6,690 (including top-up of €3,270) for disadvantaged students living more than 24 kilometres away from college and €2,680 (including top-up of €1,310) for disadvantaged students living within 24 kilometres of college.
    Lucas10101 wrote:

Same information that's on citizensinformation to do with the Top-up grant (or the special rate of grant for disadvantaged students, as they're now calling it) is on my website.

• Advertisement

This is probably a stupid question but what are the "Standard Exclusions"?

Lucas10101 wrote:
    This is probably a stupid question but what are the "Standard Exclusions"?

I've an idea in my head, but just in case I'm wrong (and thereby giving incorrect information) best to check it out with the Council. I think it's to do with the areas which can be excluded from the income limit for the 'normal grant' - the application form details this in some part. But I might be wrong.

I actually got a letter from the place and I was awarded the grant of $6,700 for the next academic year. I'm getting it in 3 amounts of $2,230 every 3 months.

Never found out what the standard exclusions were though.

Seems odd saying this, but congrats! At the very least, well done on getting your details in early. So so many people rush to get the forms in by the 31st of August, so getting it out of the way (when the Higher Education Grant sections are still relatively quiet... relatively) is a major plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭roberta c

Do you have to apply for the top up grant, or are you awarded it automatically if you are entitled to it?
    also, do you have to reapply for your grant going into 2nd yr?

roberta c wrote:
    Do you have to apply for the top up grant, or are you awarded it automatically if you are entitled to it?
    also, do you have to reapply for your grant going into 2nd yr?

Answered here.

And I'll even quote it for you :)
    Me wrote:
    Somehow I missed this, sorry.

For the second year of a grant, there is often a form sent out by the Council/VEC separate to the large application form. However, I'm not 100% as to whether this is uniform across all local authorities/VECs, so best to check in with them. Usually though, you wouldn't automatically be given a grant, so do check it out.

As for the top-up, you would be awarded it automatically if you are entitled to it. It's possible that something might have pushed you over the limit for the Top-up grant, so it's best to enquire with the Council about this. If there has been a drop in your (and your family's income levels for this year) then you could apply under a change in circumstances for this. As I've said, get in contact with your Council.

Good luck.

Just to add, the "top-up" grant is now being called the "special rates of grants for disadvantaged students". Honestly, it was easier to describe it in one hyphenated word before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Quick question on the adjacent/non-adjacent thing,

The limit is 24km from the college, how do the councils check this?
    I've looked on theaa.ie and they give a distance of between 22-24km depending on whether its from the train station or the center of the village, and thats with a route through dublin city.

I clocked it myself using the route I will be taking and its about 28km that way, so will i be able to appeal if its set as non-adjacent etc...?

Cion&#225 wrote: »
    Quick question on the adjacent/non-adjacent thing,

The limit is 24km from the college, how do the councils check this?
    I've looked on theaa.ie and they give a distance of between 22-24km depending on whether its from the train station or the center of the village, and thats with a route through dublin city.

I clocked it myself using the route I will be taking and its about 28km that way, so will i be able to appeal if its set as non-adjacent etc...?

It's actually something I'm unsure about - but I think that in each college there is an official 'centre' for want of a better word which distances are measured from. As for the route, it's the overhead distance that matters as far as I'm aware, even if flying isn't your preferred route of getting to college.

The college itself may give some insight into this - should the Council not know immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Cheers!,

Rang up the council who said they use www.theaa.ie website, so i'd say i have a chance, as I dont live in the village itself.
    I think i'll just try my luck if its initially adjacent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Thanks guys this thread answered a lot of my questions. I have on my lap my grant application form and its serious paperwork!
    I have one question - Im a mature student, ive been acceepted as one into LIT for this September but will i be assesed on my own earnings or my parents as both my parents work but ive been living away from home for 4 years now? I would kind of need the "Top up" grant as ive been on the dole for last 2 months and my savings are depleated... Help would be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement

FearDark wrote:
    Thanks guys this thread answered a lot of my questions. I have on my lap my grant application form and its serious paperwork!
    I have one question - Im a mature student, ive been acceepted as one into LIT for this September but will i be assesed on my own earnings or my parents as both my parents work but ive been living away from home for 4 years now? I would kind of need the "Top up" grant as ive been on the dole for last 2 months and my savings are depleated... Help would be greatly appreciated.

You're assessed on your own income if you're a mature student and were living away from your parents last October, and have the bills/bank statements/whatever to prove that you were living away! If you've a spouse, their income would also be taken into account. The minimum you'll get if you're a mature student is over €3,000. So it sounds like you're ok for being assessed as an independent mature student.

As for the top-up grant, best to talk to the Council or VEC (I think it's the VEC you'll be seeking) about it.

Good luck!

Advertisement