Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What they best time to study for the leaving cert ???

Options
  • 01-07-2007 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hey,

I was just wondering about what time is the best time to study for the leaving cert right now I’m on my 4th year summer holidays should I start studying now ???. But I don’t have any exam papers just notes etc
    What time worked best for you and how many hours did you do on a subject ??? Each or every few nights ??? Oh sorry i should have sayed that i'm doing the leaving cert in 5th year . and not 6 year

Shane,

Which university is the most exceptional for learning & fun ??? 2 votes

NUI Maynooth
    0%
    UCD
    100%
    Naikongenericgoon 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Well imo its much too early to start now mate, best just enjoy the rest of your summer and then get straight into it in September.
    As for the study times, what did you use for the JC? You should try to base it around that, what worked and what didn't for you. You should try to have 2 nights off a week from the study too, you sound to me like some-one who might do a lot of worrying, very important to know when your doing too much etc.
    My $0.02

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I think you should work on languages and Maths mainly for fifth year man. Then in sixth year put the effort into the subjects like Geography and Business. Enjoy the summer now though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

definitely don't bother doing anything over this summer, it wouldn't do you any good whatsoever. It's not necessary to do so much 'extra' study, just try and keep afloat. If you want an A in subject X in the long run, then make sure you get an A in your fifth year christmas test, simple as. unless you have a terrible teacher, in which case you might want to progress further yourself, but do ask for advice as to how much of the course you should have done at a certain time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

UCD
    Well studying now helps but tbh you dont need to yet. Maybe a little light study at the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I did the leaving in 1998 and heres my 2 cents:

Enjoy the summer holidays and leave the books alone. Or if you feel you want to, just to keep youself a little busy, work on you weak subjects that you think you will need to get good results in for whatever career / college course you want to get into. This means buying the LC books now, and using these. Ultimetly, you havent started the LC course yet so maybe do some revion between 5th and 6th year, next summer. Your rate of learning of the techincal subjects (Maths, Physics etc) is likely to be not be as beneficial at home looking at the material fresh (now), when compared to a teacher explaining this stuff in class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

Shane80 wrote:

Oh sorry i should have sayed that i'm doing the leaving cert in 5th year . and not 6 year

Shane,

ur gonna do two years work in one year??
    read ur english play n novels over the summer but nothing major, jus when ur lounging around at ur ease.. enjoy ur summer but start as soon as school starts n keep it up all year, unlike me!!

work towards As in all ur tests n ul be fine

UCD
    Well that changes things a bit Shane. If youve done nothing in the last year then you mite need some study, if you did your work in 4th year then you shouldnt worry too much

was your 4th year fully academic or a complete waste like my t.y. experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

you should try to do about an hour a day for the summer then up it for september, then gradually increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I'm actually shocked at the level of studying people seem to be talking about here. I was about to say a few weeks before hand, worked for me.

Depends on what ya want to do. If ya need 100 points, I'd say start studying the morning of the exam, if ya need 500 points start early in the school year. But dont even think about doing anything during summer, you will have the rest of your life to work during the summer dont start before you have to.

Remember the LC for most people only gets you into college and is then never talked about again.

• Advertisement

Tomlowe wrote:
    you should try to do about an hour a day for the summer then up it for september, then gradually increase.

Different strokes, but I don't think it's a good idea to be studying during the summer. I know I'd be burnt out with 12 months of studying.

okay i was a week before hand person too

UCD
    shudder....language camp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

As a language teacher (perhaps a little biased here) the Summer is to be enjoyed unless you want to improve your spoken language in which case Irish College or French/German camp is a bonus. Also, don't forget to read plenty of material over the Summer, anything from papers to books to improve your vocabulary but be well rested for September & enjoy yourself over the next few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Ok I was reluctant to say this in my original post seeing as it was the first reply, but studying during the summer is bull**** imo. Totally unnecessary. And that goes for "read[ing] plenty of material over the Summer" too. But as for trips to the gaeltacht and that jazz, then thats grand, I mean it is great craic after all - not exactly "studying".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Stay clear of studying during the summer. It's not healthy. You need to recharge. No harm to watch more TG4 and watch EuroNews in your European language of choice. No harm to stay tuned in with the news either considering some current event could work its way on to a paper. It's nice to have an idea what it's about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭óbriain1988

relax will ya in fairness..... spending more time making sure you don't turn into somone who does nothing but worry is more worthwhile at this stage... IN FAIRNESS! back in my day, we enjoyed our holidays :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

UCD
    Ultimately the amount of time spent studying is dictated by your points requirements for a particular set courses.
    People study during the summer!!!!!,MADNESS, some people need their heads checked:).

For instance, I want around 330 points, and as long as I attain that I don't really care much about the whole "points race"
    Its a competition for places don't forget that, so essentially you aren't really ever going to show off your true potential in a 3 hour exam every year.
    This meant I listened really well in class and did my homework and never skipped class or missed many days.
    If you want to score around the mean, Study is not as important as generally keeping up in school.

I was never interested in some my subjects enough, to study for more than 2 hours a night, this taking a good night into account:D
    Cramming up until the end served me well, as you can refresh stuff in your head which you wont remember back in February for instance.
    I properly started my English Poetry course the night before the exam for instance:o.

If you listen in class and do homework well, Study becomes somewhat less important tbh.
    Of course the same cant be said for people looking for 450+ points.
    Just work consistently in class, do your homework, and dont bother learning **** off word for word either which is a race to the bottom tbh.

*LOL at the people who learn stuff off for English btw*

UCD
    ^^^
    what he said

Naikon wrote:

your not looking for your A1 is higher english then??

• Advertisement

When I said to read over the Summer I meant just papers (NEWSpapers) and the like, not school related material, just to clarify that!

When I said to read over the Summer I meant just papers (NEWSpapers) and the like, not school related material, just to clarify that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

fionated7 wrote:
    Naikon wrote:

LOL

UCD
    fionated7 wrote:

*Sigh*:rolleyes:

ah im kidding.... im not looking for an A.. had to learn off stupid macbeth quotes tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Shane80

I need to get 450 ++ in the leaving cert !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

You have two years to study for it. You could get 450+ with intensive studying only in 6th year. Chill out, enjoy the summer, work consistently in fifth year, increase your workload in sixth and you'll sail it.

Edit: just read the thread fully.... Um, why do your Leaving in fifth year? How come? That's .... strange. Still, don't do any work during the summer. it's the summer for a reason. And just do consistent studying from the day you go back to school. I didn't do a tap in fifth year, and am currently aiming for 520. That said, if you're planning on learning everything from a two year course in one year... How do you plan on doing this?

UCD
    Shane80 wrote:
    I need to get 450 ++ in the leaving cert !!!

Dont do what I did:p, seriously I would Imagine getting 450+ will be difficult, but put in some serious study between now and the exam and unfortunately "hope for the best".

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Best thing you could do is just keep up in fifth year. Theoretically, it sounds like a good idea to study in fifth year, but you'll burn out. Start in September of your Leaving Cert year. Make loads of notes, and have all that done by, oh, February. Then just concentrate on exam papers until June. I feel so excited never having to do the Leaving again! ngyguogbopghiophoewrtpsgjkerogjwehfewi

*runs around screaming*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Shane80

Hi .... each person who responded to this commentary;

Thanks to each person who responded to this commentary i found everyone support very cooperative and advantageous and some exceedingly humorous ,

Regards:

Shane80 :D;)

Advertisement