Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearwire blocking Kontiki?

Options
  • 01-07-2007 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,784 ✭✭✭✭

I've been trying to get 4oD to work here, and beyond its insane installer problems - errors on 2 of my 3 PCs - I get "Unrecoverable Kontiki error" - Kontiki being the P2P core it uses - on attempting a download.

I placed the PC the installer gave no problems on at all in to the DMZ on my router - and same issue.

Are Clearwire blocking this as a bandwidth hog, or is my Linksys screwing things up? C4 have confirmed theres no problems - and 4oD isn't georestricted against Ireland.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

don't quote me on this but i think i read somewhere...that u can't use p2p with clearwire

• Registered Users Posts: 68,784 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well, I've not tried to date (I buy music/films, don't use Linux, etc, etc so have had no need to) so I can't confirm of deny if anything else works.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

clearwire block P2P, given 4oD uses P2P I'd imagine its blocked to,

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Clearwire seem to think you only sign up for Web browsing and Email. I can't be bothered reading their T&C it's too long, but I'm assured they don't allow any kind of server service or P2P.

Most new TV services, ITV, Sky Anytime , BBC iPlayer, Bubblegum, Joost are p2p to save server bandwidth. Complain to Comreg that your service is not Broadband, but a Web & email kiosk.

watty wrote:
    Clearwire seem to think you only sign up for Web browsing and Email. I can't be bothered reading their T&C it's too long, but I'm assured they don't allow any kind of server service or P2P.

Most new TV services, ITV, Sky Anytime , BBC iPlayer, Bubblegum, Joost are p2p to save server bandwidth. Complain to Comreg that your service is not Broadband, but a Web & email kiosk.

Been reading the T&Cs, they don't allow "continous" uploading and downloading of video or audio - they'll have to define "continous" in the courts if required, because they're not holding me to a 2 year contract for filternet when I subscribed to internet...

• Advertisement

Got the canned response. Sent them my pre-prepared answer to the canned response. Awaiting to see if if gets escalated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I've never seen a company as despicable as Clearwire. One of my friends has it and he's service went to crap as soon as the "trial" was up. Ports aren't blocked during the trial either.

I told him to complain to comreg and then get the hell away from Clearwire. Broadband the American way. At least its not false advertising, American broadband is pretty poor too.

Been told they don't block ports by someone who this time didn't sign their name on the support email. Will see if 4oD "magically" works now. They're blaming it on some "interference" that the lights on the NextNet box won't show - I've got 5 bars...

American broadband is legally at least 2Mbits now, due to FCC rules - wonder can I bring that up with the ASAI too, as Clearwire sell a 1Mbit package :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Interference my arse, if you can connect to the net and download files via http/ftp etc and your ports are not blocked/firewalled then 4oD should work.

I doubt you can bring Clearwirse to the ASAI regarding the whole American 2MB broadband thibng, after all while its an American company its operating in the Irish market so they only need to meet Irish advertising standards ....which for the most part are higher then the US :)

Yeah, I was joking about the ad/speed bit. Its just they call it "broadband the american way" when what they sell aint' broadband in the states ;)

Still not working. Interference my arse is entirely the case - I think they don't realise they were dealing with a tech (I'm a programmer, albeit not nessacerily a good one :D), not a numpty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement