Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about getting a tattoo

Options
  • 01-07-2007 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I was thinking about getting a tattoo. I would love to get a paw print as i love animals. But how painful is getting a tattoo?. I realise everyone has a different threshold of pain and i can tolerate pain but not if its very painful. Is there something worse than getting a tattoo? Also iv got fairly sensitive skin - would they tattoo onto sensitive skin?
    And if u have a tattoo - can u rate the pain of getting it done, out of 10 - 10 being very painful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

lisajane wrote:
    I realise everyone has a different threshold of pain and i can tolerate pain but not if its very painful.

You answered your own question. When I had mine done it didn't hurt at all. The only thing that I felt was when they were colouring of the tattoo and was just an odd sensation.

So 0 out of 10 from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

good info on how painful it is here:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=300579

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 bordrlinepsycho

yep they tattoo sensitive skin....like my skin is really sensitive and i bruise easily but they still did it told me to take some tablets for the bruising but didnt need to cos it didnt bruise at all:D and it really does depend on your pain threshold like mine hardly hurt at all and it went over my spine and shoulder blades but i know people who said its an unbearable pain lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

lisajane wrote:
    Is there something worse than getting a tattoo?
    Ther's lots of things worse than getting a tattoo...eh, paper cut comes to mind!!! :p
    Personally gettin my eyebrows waxed is worse than gettin a tattoo...i HATE the thought of havin to go and get hair ripped out from my face but as you said yourself everyone has a different pain threshold...For me it's the sensation of gettin a tattoo i find it soooo relaxing, honestly! especially when the colour is being tattooed..it's so lovely!

on a scale of 0-10...i'm a 0 as well!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

I bruise VERY easily and I love the sensation of getting inked. It's wonderous.

Look. Pinch yourself. Does it hurt? Yeah. Of course it does, but it's down to how you can handle that pain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

I would love to get one. Especially of the paw print and maybe my cats name under it in his memory. He was an old cat and he went missing in april, so i think he's gone to heaven. I loved that cat.
    I wouldn't mind getting it done but i heard some people say its painful and i dont know how il cope if it is painful. Its the pain im dreading the most. But then i was dreading my driving test and that wasn't too bad. Is there anything i can do to prepare myself for the nerves if i do decide to go ahead?
    Would they numb the skin like they would to a piercing?
    Also i came across another thing about it being more painful if u get it done on the bone. So would it be less painful if it was fat? And what happens if i lose the fat - cos im a bit over weight. Would the tattoo be all wrinkly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 bordrlinepsycho

lisajane wrote:
    Is there anything i can do to prepare myself for the nerves if i do decide to go ahead?
    Would they numb the skin like they would to a piercing?

apparently taking nurofen plus before getting it done numbs the pain a bit..didnt really help me cos i took it about 2 mins before gettin mine done but didnt need it anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dashticle

The least painful would probably be on your upper arm. This is why a lot of people get their first tattoos there. I got mine there and it did not hurt at all. Places where I've heard people complain it is painful are: chest, on the underside of your forearm, and to a lesser extent anywhere the needle would press down on bone (shoulder, elbow, etc.)

But all in all I would definitely not worry about the pain. It's not painful at all but if you're still worried take a flick through the gazillion images of tattoos you see everywhere and think to yourself: If they can do it, so can I!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

pain varies for everyone but i have a low pain threshold and i was grand

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

When I had my under arm done I was fine. Lots of filling in but wasn't too bad.
    Two weeks later I went back for a top up, bled like a stuck pig.

• Advertisement

yeah i bled a fair bit too for some reason,and mine was tiny

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well guys I am going tomorrow for my tatt so I will let you know how pain free it was. It's been a long time since I got my last one done so I can't really remember. I don't think it was sore more of a sensation. I am sure it will all come back to me tomorrow. Wish me luck!:rolleyes:

good luck:)hope it goes well!

sarannewrap, Thanks. My main problem is that I think I have changed my design and I hope it won't mess up my app. I am planning to get there early enough to get some advice though. Will give up an update tomorrow eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Look forward to hearing how it goes, good luck with the change of plans!

Well,
    No problem at all. Lisajane you have nothing to worry about.
    It all came back to me as soon as he started the tattoo. It is merely a slight stinging sensation. Nothing more. Really. No numbing cream or medication needed.

I went to Atattooed in Bray and I have to say they are excellent. If I were to get one again, which I am not, I would go back. Very professional indeed and spotlessly clean. Badger did my tattoo and really made me feel at ease. No need to worry. Now in saying that it only took 15 mins, thats how small it is. Just nice and neat on the hip.

I didn't change design in the end as it is a symbolic tattoo and not visible so I was happy to go with the original idea.

Best of luck lisajane and let me know if you go through with it.

Ok

u shud post it in the 'i'll show you mine, you show me your's' thread...i'm dyin to see it!!! :)

aoife2k wrote:
    u shud post it in the 'i'll show you mine, you show me your's' thread...i'm dyin to see it!!! :)

Well I may do that. It's not that interesting though just a regular boring aries symbol. But as with my other tattoo it the meaning behind it that is important. My tattoos are more a personal statement about me to me. If that makes any sense. I suspose it signifies a stage in my life.

My tattoos are more a personal statement about me to me.

Totally get ya, my first one represents when my father died but to others it may just look like a pretty design and i've a plain jane star underneath it that my best friend has also, but it means somethin to us, so i completely understand if u don't wana post it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

yah, totally getcha. mine just looks like three very boring stars, but again, they have a very special, personal meaning to me.

and the next one is a representation of how my entire life changed for the better... and its gonna be a polar bear :D

met a guy last march who got a tattoo on his wrist instead of a wedding ring. he used to work as a bartender, as did his wife (different pubs, same city), and when people would ask what the tattoo meant, he'd tell them that he would both tell them, and give them a free drink if they could find the other bartender in the city with the same tattoo...

pretty cool, i guess, but the marriage went wrong, and he's still got that reminder on his wrist :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement