Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM Prob on DFI Mobo

Options
  • 01-07-2007 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭

At the moment I am running 2 x 512mb Corsair DDR XMS 3200C2PT on a DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-D Mobo. This week I bought a 1GB 3200 stick of ram and tried to install it. On its own the 1GB stick works fine but when I try to get it to run with the 2 512mb sticks it wont post, just makes a very long beeping noise repeated.

Now I know my mobo is a bit more complicated in its setup then an average mobo but I've done some research myself and tried correcting the problem as best I understood it, trying various combinations of slots etc but nothing seems to work. I did manage to get the 1gb stick to work with 1 of the 512 ones but on my second boot windows gave me a critical error, one which was solved by removing the stick.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I Have that board myself jim.

There is no way to get 2 dimms from different manufactures working together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Plus with 3 DIMM's you will probably disable dual channel mode which will hurt performance as the RAM needs to be in pairs.

IN situations like this the only thing you really can do is use CPU-Z in Windows to take down the timings of each module then go into the bios and set the timings manually to a safe zone that you know both sets of DIMM's can run at & hope it works.

8T8 wrote:
    Plus with 3 DIMM's you will probably disable dual channel mode which will hurt performance as the RAM needs to be in pairs.

IN situations like this the only thing you really can do is use CPU-Z in Windows to take down the timings of each module then go into the bios and set the timings manually to a safe zone that you know both sets of DIMM's can run at & hope it works.

I have tried that. It just dosent work. This DFI board likes to run matched ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

D'oh.

Cheers for the replies. Perhaps I'll use it as a bookmark instead.

If you are looking for ram i havd some ddr 4000 for sale, 1gb matched pairs of corsair !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

That DFI board won't take 3 dimms of any ram. 2 or 4 but not 3. I had the exact same problem. I did get it running with 2 x 512mb Geil ultra and 2 x 256mb Geil value alright though it took a lot of messing around to get it working.

Advertisement