Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am an idiot...

Options
  • 01-07-2007 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

I thought that there were 31 days in June and intended on changing my preferences tomorrow. I now have an exciting day ahead of me as I try to ring, beg and bribe my way towards changing my choices! Please tell me I'm not the only one? (although I'm guessing I probably am!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Why in the name of God would you wait until the last day anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Because I have spent the last few days doing nothing other than analysing each individual choice to ensure that it was the right one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Em, AFAIK the CAO are very very strict - if they aren't strict the system isn't fair for everyone else. I hope you were happy with your original choices.

And to be honest, you probably aren't the only one.

Have you been here?
    http://websr4.cao.ie/APP/index.php?page=aboutCOM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

Haha, brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

LOL, sorry mate but this is hilarious. Jaysus, youd think youd know theres 30 days in June.

• Advertisement

CAO Email wrote:
    NOTICE: Changes of Mind after the closing date of 1st July.

I regret to say that the Change of Mind Form closing date of 1st July has
    passed.

The CAO Handbook constitutes a contract with the public, under which
    applicants have legally-enforceable rights and protections. It would be a
    breach of this contract to deprive an applicant of a third-level place by
    admitting another applicant contrary to published procedure and without
    reasonable cause. We must, therefore, take a strict attitude towards
    applications and Change of Mind Forms which arrive after the closing date.

I regret that it is not possible to change your course choices at this stage.

The application procedures must necessarily be strict but they are also
    intended to be fair and reasonable. Therefore, if you contend that your
    Change of Mind Form was late due to circumstances beyond your control, you
    may make an explanation in writing and submit it IMMEDIATELY, together with
    your Change of Mind Form and any available supporting evidence, to me.

May I make it clear that this is not intended to excuse simple oversight,
    tardiness or negligence or cases where there is clear failure to comply
    with the regulations.

Yours sincerely,

Ivor Gleeson
    General Manager.

Looks like I'm going to be doing Arts, unless I accept my Level 7 offers. I can't believe that something I didn't bother learning in primary school may very well be my undoing in life!

what did you want to change to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Looks like I'm going to be doing Arts, unless I accept my Level 7 offers. I can't believe that something I didn't bother learning in primary school may very well be my undoing in life!

I wouldn't go that far. I'm sure there are reasons why you chose your original courses. There's always the possibility of transferring courses when you actually start in college, depending on the college and course you want to transfer to.

what did you want to change to?
    I wanted to change my second choice from Cork to Waterford. I may very well still get my first choice which I'd be delighted with but it'll certainly be touch and go come August 20th.

Also another possible route of entry for me is via AQA Vacant Places. I may be lucky and have a vacancy arise in some of my lower preference courses (which I'd now prefer to Arts, my second choice)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I wanted to change my second choice from Cork to Waterford. I may very well still get my first choice which I'd be delighted with but it'll certainly be touch and go come August 20th.

Also another possible route of entry for me is via AQA Vacant Places. I may be lucky and have a vacancy arise in some of my lower preference courses (which I'd now prefer to Arts, my second choice)

Lie Lie Lie

It quite clearly says in the above email that it is possible, come up with some decent excuse and email your changes ;)

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I mentioned my CAO application number on my support query. Although I do think I can stretch the truth when I write to them. Fingers crossed anyway.

Quick this man needs excuses! Dieing relatives?Car accident? Paralysis of hands? Being stuck in jungle fighting super space monkeys who have nuclear weapons and are planning to blow up the world if they dont get all the bananas? you were high at the time?the communists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

probably not what you wanna hear but.... you CAN always wait and do it next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I thought that there were 31 days in June and intended on changing my preferences tomorrow.(although I'm guessing I probably am!)

Well going be this demonstration of knowledge ya prob won’t have any points for it to matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

I think you can post in the change of mind form for a limited time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

If you don't know how many days there are in the months, there isn't much hope anyhow. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭SuperHans

Jesus, just say that you sent out the form ages ago, but it must have got lost in the post. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

in 6 months time you'll forget your leaving cert, get into some course, like it for a while and maybe switch to something else next year...

the leaving cert is just a stepping stone. not the be-all & end all. and sure either way you can easily just do a PLC for a year in something vaguely related to what you want, then next year apply for the uni course you want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Could simply take a year off and do the course you want next year? Call it fate ;)

Well going be this demonstration of knowledge ya prob won’t have any points for it to matter.
    I was wondering how long it would take someone stupid enough to post up something like that although I do concede that almost everyone who's looking at the thread is probably thinking the same but have the cop on to realise that I recognise the woeful tardiness on my behalf.

• Advertisement

SuperHans wrote:
    Jesus, just say that you sent out the form ages ago, but it must have got lost in the post. Simple.
    Here's the next little gem. My mother threw out all my school related stuff (including the CAO Change of Mind form). Short of rummaging through the by now waterlogged green bin, there's no chance of recovering it! Also CAO require you to present proof of postage for any forms that arrive after the closing date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭SuperHans

Surely if you HAD sent the form and it was lost in the post you wouldn't have it anyway. And how could you prove that you had actually sent the form in this instance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

Ahahaha this is brilliant! :D Why in god's name would you leave it so late?!

I've never understood the type... leave it till Feb 1st at 5.14pm to apply in the first place did ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

30 days have September,
    April, June and November,
    All the rest have 31,
    Except for February alone,
    Which has 28 days clear,
    and 29 each leap year.

First rhyme I ever learned. :)

Ah dont be cruel!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Fobia wrote:
    Could simply take a year off and do the course you want next year? Call it fate ;)
    Or just take whatever course he gets and call it fate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Pretty much a nightmare come through.
    Hard luck mate ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Archimedes wrote:
    30 days have September,
    April, June and November,
    All the rest have 31,
    Except for February alone,
    Which has 28 days clear,
    and 29 each leap year.

First rhyme I ever learned. :)

I wanted to say this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Damn rhyme. Did nobody else use the 'knuckles' technique that Ainsley Harriott showed on some programme like Live & Kicking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

Here's the next little gem. My mother threw out all my school related stuff (including the CAO Change of Mind form). Short of rummaging through the by now waterlogged green bin, there's no chance of recovering it! Also CAO require you to present proof of postage for any forms that arrive after the closing date.

Indeed it would appear that this could present a stumbling block but here is the thing all paper applications made do NOT register the applicants cao number on the receipt of postage(a stamp at the back of a handbook, i believe)-why would An Post give an expletive.

In theory you could, through the borrowing a friends receipt of postage prove that you did sent in a change of mind. (anyone you know who sent a change of mind by paper/post) they will have the proof you need to show that you sent it, as long as they didn't scrawl their CAO number on the page for no reason that is.

Best of luck.

Advertisement