Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am an idiot...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

That really sucks:(, I had a slight problem in that I had some last minute changes made and now I dont know If I could have made a better option.
    Sure, even if worst comes to worst, depending on the Institution, internal transfer/advanced entry will get you to where you want to be without waiting a year or more.
    I think projectmayhem made a pretty valid point in relation to your situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

adam_ccfc wrote:
    Ahahaha this is brilliant! :D Why in god's name would you leave it so late?!

I've never understood the type... leave it till Feb 1st at 5.14pm to apply in the first place did ya?

Hahaha, lets all have a huge laugh at his (yes?) expense, because its so hilariously funny! Let's totally take the piss because it's not our next year that's at stake here. Oh, hahaha. Don't be so mean. First of all, that question's been asked already, and I've no doubt murderer feels bad enough as it is. It's not "brilliant" and why continue to mock him? And I doubt there's a "type" who this happens to. He's already admitted why he left it late. It was a mistake, and if you had made it, you wouldn't have appreciated that. Try to help, instead of making fun. Honestly.

I reckon do what everyone else is saying. Blame it on the post office lol. Think you'll be able to transfer? I really hope it all works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

All I can say is I feel your pain!! Depends on what your 1st choice is, some colleges are pretty flexible on letting people in. My friend forgot to send theirs in but I know they can still get into some courses by ringing up. On the CAO site after the offers there's a list of courses which still have places put up. Hope you get lucky, chin up!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

adam_ccfc wrote:
    Ahahaha this is brilliant! :D Why in god's name would you leave it so late?!

I've never understood the type... leave it till Feb 1st at 5.14pm to apply in the first place did ya?
    Actually I applied in January and was highly critical of those who did leave it to the last minute!
    30 days have September,
    April, June and November,
    All the rest have 31,
    Except for February alone,
    Which has 28 days clear,
    and 29 each leap year.

I don't think I'll ever forget that now :)

I've sent off my letter now and I'm mildly optimistic of being granted an allowance. The AQA courses and the Level 6/7 courses are always options for me anyway.

Keep in mind that if your 6/7 courses are somewhat related, you can always move between courses at a later stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

i randomly went on the cao website to check my application outta boredom yesterday n seen it was too late to change it n was kinda startled.... but then i remembered i had changed it n made it all perfect n stuff weeks ago to avoid things like forgetting when july 1st was...

u might b lucky n find a vacancy in the course u wanted.. chances are there will be a vacancy in mary i for primary teaching going by my weak performance last month...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

hehehe... this is gas

good luck mate, you'll probably need it! :)

and you might be better off waitin til next year rather than doin a course you dont like this year. just in case..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 FrozenUp

That does suck, I think the year out option would be best, if you want to blame someone when writing to the CAO, blame the lithuanians, works every time.

fionated7 wrote:
    i randomly went on the cao website to check my application outta boredom yesterday n seen it was too late to change it n was kinda startled.... but then i remembered i had changed it n made it all perfect n stuff weeks ago to avoid things like forgetting when july 1st was...

u might b lucky n find a vacancy in the course u wanted.. chances are there will be a vacancy in mary i for primary teaching going by my weak performance last month...

ha me too! and about 10 others who have it down said the exact same thing.

CAO wrote:
    NOTICE: Appeal of Change of Mind received after the closing date of 1st July.

The CAO Handbook constitutes a contract with the public, under which
    applicants have legally-enforceable rights and protections. In the case of
    courses where admission is on a competitive basis, it would be a breach of
    this contract to deprive an applicant of a third-level place by admitting
    another applicant contrary to published procedure and without reasonable
    cause(*). We must, therefore, take a strict attitude towards applications
    and Change of Mind Forms which arrive after the closing date.

The application procedures must necessarily be strict but they are also
    intended to be fair and reasonable.

Due consideration has been given to your appeal but I am please to inform
    you, that on this occasion, I have decided to uphold your appeal based on
    the information provided for the appeal.

Your request for a late change of mind after the July 1st deadline is
    upheld and I have updated your course choices on our system. You can view
    these changes online at www.cao.ie

Yours sincerely,

Ivor Gleeson
    General Manager.

I'm a happy man this morning :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Good stuff. Just dont forget your first day of college.

:D:D:D

^sorry:)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

I didn't think that they heard appeals or allowed exceptions. But definately goes to show that you should at least try

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

what did you say Murderer to make them change their minds?

*cough*:)

istockphoto_1838095_euro_and_envelope.jpg

^^^^ :)

Naikon wrote:
    *cough*:)

istockphoto_1838095_euro_and_envelope.jpg
    I didn't have to give them that much :).
    what did you say Murderer to make them change their minds?

I'd rather not say until I get my college offer lol :)

Ah go on
    go on
    go on
    go on
    go on
    go on
    go on
    go on
    go on
    go on
    go on
    go on
    go on
    go on
    go on
    go oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TELL US!

I think its more a case of what did he do to change there minds. Some kind of prison bargining no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

In the leaflets everyone gets through the post from the CAO, it says on the back that if you had a course change on July 1st, and get the form within a few days, you can apply to change your course choices through that card within 7 days of getting the card....

Has nobody thought of this?

• Advertisement

I'm delighted for you. Hopefully it'll have an even happier ending in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CAOMAN

From the people in the CAO.

There was only 1 appeal lodged that was successful and really it was not an appeal at all.

The person(Murderer) actually submitted a change of mind on July 1st but then wanted to change it again on July 2nd, which of course the rules states that change of minds close on July 1st.

However, he would receive an acknowledgement based on this change of mind on July 1 and this would allow him to change his choices once more within 7 days of the date of printing on the top of the form.

Well done LUCAS10101 who actually reads what the CAO sends out to applicants about Change of Minds.

Murderer, or should I say XXXX, you need to correct this invalid impression that you paid some money, or received some dispensation, given by you on this board or CAO will have to look at your application to see if you have breached the rules.

CAOMAN wrote:

There was only 1 appeal lodged that was successful and really it was not an appeal at all.

The person(Murderer) actually submitted a change of mind on July 1st but then wanted to change it again on July 2nd, which of course the rules states that change of minds close on July 1st.

However, he would receive an acknowledgement based on this change of mind on July 1 and this would allow him to change his choices once more within 7 days of the date of printing on the top of the form.

Well done LUCAS10101 who actually reads what the CAO sends out to applicants about Change of Minds.

Murderer, or should I say Adam, you need to correct this invalid impression that you paid some money, or received some dispensation, given by you on this board or CAO will have to look at your application to see if you have breeched the rules.

Firstly,(if this is actually seriously someone from CAO) the impression we received was that he hadn't changed his mind at all by the first of July but it seems alright for murderer now. Also I am sure the posts which suggested money was involved were not serious and were intended as a joke. Finally, its spelled breached not 'breeched'.

Mr. CAOMAN has probably lost his sense of humor through years working in a bureaucratic Institution such as the CAO :/
    Why would the CAO recheck his application to "see if you have breeched the rules"?, surely his application was reviewed as a whole before decisions were made?

I think this post is a pisstake tbh.

Naikon wrote:
    I think this post is a pisstake tbh.

Thats the impression i got too tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

CAOMAN wrote:

Murderer, or should I say Adam, you need to correct this invalid impression that you paid some money, or received some dispensation, given by you on this board or CAO will have to look at your application to see if you have breeched the rules.

Lol.

Originally Posted by CAOMAN

Surely by praising the actions/reply of an individual candidate you are displaying signs of bias? which would be inexcusable given that you are part of an public sector office whose main aim is to be fair to ALL candidates. By publicly displaying that you are biased towards a single candidate you are potentially undermining the integrity of the CAO system which would be in breach of your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CAOMAN

First of all let me put a few things straight for the record.

The CAO is not a public sector office. It is a private company(not for profit) set up by the institutions to administer the application process to thrid level institutions within the Republic of Ireland.

Therefore, no influence can be exerted by politicians etc in the allocation of places, extension of deadlines etc.

All places are allocated on a fair basis based on your school leaving results.

We praise applicants who read the literature because we would hope to encourage others to do so as well and having done so, applicants would have known the rules which would allow them to change their preferences after July 1st.

We discriminate against applicants who try to gain an advantage by illegal means and we have the power to suspend any application where it is found to be the case.

Applicants can make an appeal, free of charge, against any of the rules of the CAO. However, their appeal must have supporting documentation to prove that their actions or lack of actions, was not their own fault or was outside their control. Forgetting closing dates or failing to post a letter, are not grounds for appeal.

The impression was given that the change was as a result of money being paid to CAO or other inducement, but I can assure you that this is not the case.

Whether you are a multi-millionaire or the poorest person in Ireland, when you pay your application fee, you are treated all equally the same and offers are only given based on the results of the applicant.

I sure murderer will enjoy whatever course he is offered in August but it is important that everyone research their courses well before mentioning them on the change of mind form. Too many applicants are selecting courses without proper investigation and then leave after a few weeks.

I wish you all well, whatever offer you may receive. Please remember that the leaving certificate results should be recognised as an achievement in their own right and the offer of a place, as a total separate occasion

If you do not get the place you wished for, remember there will be many Available/Vacant Places published on the website, for which you can apply, even now.

And for all the doubting applicants, this is really the man from the CAO.

CAOMAN wrote:
    And for all the doubting applicants, this is really the man from the CAO.

OH REALLY, CAOMAN! If that is your real name!?

/me tries to pull off CAOMAN's mask

Come off you damn mask. Jeez shes stuck fast. I fear superglue is at work here ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

Haha CAOMAN! I love it!!

Advertisement