Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

suggestions for new windows mobile phone

• 02-07-2007 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

I am looking at changing my phone in the not too distant future, I always had symbian nokia phone and recently an S40 phone but it's time for a change.

I had my eye on this -> HTC S710, however it lacks 3G which to me is taking a step backwards.

Basically I'm wondering does anyone know of a similar phone that can be had with these specs.

Wi-fi
    3G
    bluetooth
    Qwerty keyboard (not essential but would be a BIG plus)
    touch screen (not essential if Qwerty onboard)
    Windows Mobile 6.0 (although if it's good I might get a version 5)
    triband/quadband

budget would be around the 400euro mark

phone semi attractive and not weighing the equivalent of a small nation
    Cheers! :)
    V

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Have you considered a Series 60 Symbian phone, like the Nokia E61i or Nokia E90 (that's the one I have my eyes on at the moment)? Completely different compared to S40, and in my opinion superior to Windows Mobile in that it is faster and more optimised for mobile usage.

Or if you do not like Nokia, the Sony Ericsson P1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Velocitee

Thanks, when I said Symbian above I should've said S60! :)

I've had 2 S60 phones (N-Gage and 6680 which to be fair, never had trouble with) and an S40 (6280)

Want to try Windows Mobile this time round to see does it suit my needs.

I do like the look of the N95 but it's slightly (massively) overbudget, also I would constantly have to swap out the SIM card and put it into one of my spare phones on nights out! :)

Still though, this time round, windows mobile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Ouch, N-Gage :X Never liked the 6680 either, was kind of clunky and slow.

Ouch, N-Gage :X Never liked the 6680 either, was kind of clunky and slow.

I quite liked the Ngage - ran games well enough

found that too with the 6680 - but the slowness was cured with a generic firmware upgrade! all was well :)

Anyhow not to go off topic - has anybody got any suggestions for a windows mobile phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

The S710 is a lovely phone, the only bad thing is that it lacks 3G.

I would also look into other HTC PDA's, most of them include 3G, for example the HTC TyTn has a QWERTY keyboard, 3G and is a nice phone.

Another ones to look into include the Samsung i600.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Velocitee wrote:

Don't know if you will get a phone of that spec for that price.

Have a look at the HTC Kaiser - it has pretty much everything on it, including FM radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭babyhack

Velocitee wrote:
    I had my eye on this -> HTC S710, however it lacks 3G which to me is taking a step backwards.

Basically I'm wondering does anyone know of a similar phone that can be had with these specs.

Wi-fi
    3G
    bluetooth
    Qwerty keyboard (not essential but would be a BIG plus)
    touch screen (not essential if Qwerty onboard)
    Windows Mobile 6.0 (although if it's good I might get a version 5)
    triband/quadband

phone semi attractive and not weighing the equivalent of a small nation
    Cheers! :)
    V

The HTC S710 has all you have asked for ba the 3G (is it really a big lose)
    I have one myself and its a nice phone, about the same size as a Nokia 6600 (it even looks and feels like one to hold and has near enough the same faceplate)

The qwerty keyboard is great (screen flicks too when keyboard is in use)
    comes packed with all the normal (outlook,word,powerpoint,adobe reader, excel,WMP,MSN and windows live)

I have added google maps and Opera to mine and both work great with the built in WiFi

Skype is a must (if you use it) and is really really great for voice calls over WiFi, the qualty is as good if not better then a normal voice call

I have been having trouble finding games for it (WM6 being so new)

The 2mb cemera is not to bad

There is also a little app (pre installed) called Audio Manager that lets you cut and trim MP3s to use as a ringtone

It can get a little laggy at times when its RAM gets low but a reboot of the phone will easy sort that)

Apart from the RAM issue its a great little phone
    Fits just right in the pocket and the qwerty keyboard is a joy to use for txt and word (so much so that i cant use the numpad to send txt messages anymore)

For less then 400euro its one of the best phones I have had (I had a SP5m before it with WM5 and its got nothing on the S710)

If you have an questions about the phone fell free to PM me
    but if you are looking for a windows mobile smartphone you cant go wrong with the S710

BH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

Yup Kaiser should be out in August. Not sure if it has a radio though. Toshiba G900 might be an option but its a bit on the expensive side... about 600 euro. Very high screen res... 800 x 480.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Toshiba G900
    edit: sorry didn't see post above.. anyway G900 or 500 are solid options

G500
    http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=146075
    G900
    http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=146074

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

babyhack wrote:
    Skype is a must (if you use it) and is really really great for voice calls over WiFi, the qualty is as good if not better then a normal voice call

When you use Skype do you use it with a headset? If not does the audio come from the back speaker?

Also there's a thread on www.xda-developers.com, that explains how to enable the Microsoft VoIP (SIP) client on WM6 and some WM5 devices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

been looking at the eten m70. Looks fantastic phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

the kaiser won't have an fm radio unfortunately. has everything else though :p
    would be circa 800-900 euro i'd say anyway so no good.

the eten m700 doesn't have 3g unfortunately.
    has wm6, sliding qwerty, wifi, 3g and bluetooth but usually goes for about 500 euro- may have come down a bit though.

the htc trinity/p3600 has everything you mention except a hardware keyboard but may not get wm6- it's atleast 500 euro- price should come down though.

the above are wm PDA-PHONES ie they have a touchscreen..
    on the other hand all the wm SMARTPHONES are by their nature NOT touchscreen and most don't have wifi afaik. so there probably out.

tbh i'd say most unlocked 3g and/or wifi-enabled pda-phones start at around 500 euro.

re wm5 vs wm6 the changes i see between them are primarily cosmetic. wm6 seems a bit more responsive alright.
    wm6 outlook (on pda-phones) also includes html support.
    other than that not much of a difference from what i can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭babyhack

matrim wrote:
    When you use Skype do you use it with a headset? If not does the audio come from the back speaker?

Also there's a thread on www.xda-developers.com, that explains how to enable the Microsoft VoIP (SIP) client on WM6 and some WM5 devices

Comes from the back speaker, not tried it with a headset

Thanks for the link will let you know how it goes

BH

I think after considering all the advice offered, I would probably have gone with the s710 - however I was reading another thread on here and I see that the Nokia 770 is just under 113 notes on expansys.

With that in mind I think it would be best for my sanity if I went with the 770 and keep my current phone (6280) that way I get to keep the 3G functionality, a good chunk of my original budget and get a nice large screen for using wi-fi over. Hey I know it's not a Cray supercomputer but it would be the functionality that I am after, also has some nice apps to install on it and I think Ill go with the 2GB card.

I could connect the tablet over bluetooth to the phone and use the 3G network if I ever take it out of the house and am not near a hotspot
    Thanks for all your help though! (when I do change my phone though, a windows phone will def be on the cards)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Nice one Velocitee. Picking one a 770 myself. They are going for a song at the moment. With a 800x480 screen its cheap as an ebook reader, photo viewer. Bear in mind though that you may face BT connnection issues and the browser on 770 is known to be sluggish as screen is big and processor is slow, so it could be a bit of a bottleneck. Should be fine for casual browsing though! Definitely go for the Lcars theme for the crack (see the bargain thread).

Does anyone know if expansys ever gets stock in earlier than expected? - it's just the end of the month seems so far away! :):D

Advertisement