Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US electrics compatibility

Options
  • 02-07-2007 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi,
    Im currently in the US and looking to bring back a pump and light fitting. Will I be able to wire these directly into our electrical outlets as I would if they were designed for Ireland.

(These items dont draw much power and the Irish equivalents dont have earth wires.)

Any help would be much appreciated
    kev

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hi saoranach,

Typically they wont work by just plugging them in. Both the voltage and the frequency are different here. There are devices that you can buy that would solve the issue for you , but I'm unsure if you want to go down that road from an expense point of view, but if you are in the US you're in the place to buy an American to Europe power adaptor as they are typically more expensive here. (note this is a power adaptor, not just a plug top adaptor this transforms the supply voltage down from 220 to 110V)

Some electronic power supplies are rated to work on both systems, but I would be surprized if your items have these.

You are looking to see if there is something like
    input: 220/110 Vac 50/60Hz. printed on the devices

Some hotels have US voltage and sockets (some of the Hilton Hotels)
    Most lamps/light bulbs will not work here and will blow with 220 Volts accross them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The lamp can be modified if it is just a normal bulb Edison screw type.
    All you need to do is change the plug, and possibly the lampholder(ES bulbs can be hard to get).
    Pumps can be hard to use as they may work here if supplied with 110v but as the supply us 50hz as opposed to 60hz they may not pump very well as they will run slower here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭saoranach

Thanks for the replies, is there any chance if you have a second you could post a link to the type of power adapter i need, as im slightly lost.

Thanks a million
    kev

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=13358&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=POWER%20CONVERTORS&doy=4m7

something like this will plug in to an irish socket and power a US item (220Wat max)

this shoud be fine for your lamp, as CJH pointed out , the lamp could be handy, maybe getting a an irish lamp from the likes of Tesco (bring your US bulb) and change the plug top and you should be ok.

These things typically dont change the frequency, and as CJH siad this could cause your pump to operate slower/

IMO you might nearly be better off replacing the pump with an irish one, but make sure you check that the power supply unit on the power supply will not operate and funcition in Ireland, it will say it if it does you wont need anything

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=RS59P&DOY=4m7

Advertisement