Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

360 dying?

• 02-07-2007 8:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

When the 360 dies, does it just die suddenly or does it start acting up and just gets worse and worse until one day it wakes up dead?

Half a dozen times over the weekend, my 360 just froze. No rhyme or reason, different games, different parts of the same game, different lengths of time working. The screen entirely froze and was kinda pixelated.

I hope it's not symptomatic of something worse, but if it is, I guess it's better to get it fixed now before it's dead completely.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

corblimey wrote:
    wakes up dead?

Don't think anything can wake up dead.:rolleyes:
    Maybe its about time you got off the Xbox and picked up a book :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Don't think anything can wake up dead.:rolleyes:
    Maybe its about time you got off the Xbox and picked up a book :D
    brilliant! well done! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jodolan

Think he completely missed that joke !!! .

I think it starts acting up disc read errors etc . Mine is giving disk read error and making weird noises a lot more than it used to . Im just waitign for it to break any second now . Its really annoying , really makes sense to get a PS3 ASAP. XBOX could have a million games but they are usless if your console is in Holland getting fixed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

corblimey wrote:
    .. different games, different parts of the same game
    corblimey wrote:
    .. the screen entirely froze and was kinda pixelated.

This is what happened mine before it croaked and sailed off into the far white and green yonder..

This is what happened mine before it croaked and sailed off into the far white and green yonder..
    Yeah, I went home at lunch just to see how it's doing, and there was the ring of death waiting for me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

You're ok though

If you bought it anywhere in Ireland its got a 2 year warranty, which is still grand even for launch consoles (Dec 05).

Ring up MS here, and they'll pick it up, repair it, and deliver it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,157 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Sorry to go a little off topic but this is kinda related...

I bought a used console from gamestop last August. Had a 1 year warranty with them, I got one of the launch consoles. It packed in and died 4 months ago, had it replaced with another used console. That console had one or two minor problems so I had that replaced after a week. Next console they gave me was brand new.

So my warranty with gamestop is finished in August, how does the MS warranty work? I bought it last August but the actual date of manufacture of the console is last November or so I think. Do I get 2 years from last November?

corblimey wrote:
    Yeah, I went home at lunch just to see how it's doing, and there was the ring of death waiting for me :(
    Hmm, this is getting weird now. I did get through to MS and they're sending out the labels for me to send them the machine back. He tried to charge me 85 quid for it, but no deal.

However, when I went home and temporarily turned on my 360 to get the disc for the last game I played (GH2 for those taking notes), everything looked fine. No red rings, logged into Live, all good. I was racing out the door, so didn't have a chance to test it well, but my understanding of the red rings is that once you have them, that's it "game over".

So I wonder if I just had a loose connection all this time, wouldn't really explain the freezing at the weekend. But I'll give it a good go this evening, and sure if it all looks good I'll keep the MS labels for when it does finally break ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Fony Tenton

Mines on the brink too,it was giving the "to play this disk put it in an xbox 360 console" message a good bit,but after a bit of ejecting and putting back in it would eventualy work.
    Now its nothing,put a disk in it status goes to "reading" and then goes back to "open Tray" as if theres no disk in even though there is. this ever happen to anyone else?
    Looks like im going to have to send mine back too,on hold for 28 mins to miscrosoft last night before giving up,going to try them again today

Looks like im going to have to send mine back too,on hold for 28 mins to miscrosoft last night before giving up,going to try them again today
    You probably hung up just as they answered :D. My total call length yesterday afternoon was 38 mins, and I reckon I spent about 10 with the support guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

jodolan wrote:
    , really makes sense to get a PS3 ASAP. XBOX could have a million games but they are usless if your console is in Holland getting fixed :D

Anto1208/jodolan, will you ever stop ranting about how much you prefer
    your Ps3.

Corblimey, If I had the red lights on the front of mine I'd send it straight
    back to MS for repair, even if the lights had disappeared there is something
    not right with it and best to get it fixed for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Anto1208/jodolan, will you ever stop ranting about how much you prefer your Ps3.

Don't worry,he'll probably get banned again in a week or two if he keeps this up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

All the trademarks of anto being shown by jodolan considering he only came on the forum when anto got banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

kensutz wrote:
    All the trademarks of anto being shown by jodolan considering he only came on the forum when anto got banned.

Haha, i knew it was him. Looks for attention in every thread he posts in by rewording the same old story.

Total bore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

EB games are estimating the 360 failure rate at about 33%.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=7892

I read this article today about Micromart, the UK company that were doing console repairs. They are now withdrawing their service to fix 360s suffering from the red ring of death saying it is 'endemic' of the system.

http://blogs.pcworld.com/gameon/archives/004808.html

This bit is intersting:
    Micromart: The problem was mainly a motherboard issue, we believe, related to dry joints (solder on the motherboard) overheating. There could be any number of issues why this is happening, but essentially it is a problem with overheating.

SPOnG: Can it not just be re-soldered and fixed straightforwardly?

Micromart: No, we’re talking thousands of joints which need to be ‘reflowed’…

Anyone who has knowledge of the SMT industry would know that solder joints on these boards needing to be reflowed is a pretty difficult fix when the machine is already assembled! Dry joints are a manufacturing error that are usually supposed to be caught and fixed as they can lead to insufficient electric contact on the components on a motherboard.

Haha, i knew it was him. Looks for attention in every thread he posts in by rewording the same old story.

Total bore.

Funny how some people think they can get around a ban by creating a new
    account.

It was the extra/unnecessary spaces before his commas that made me spot him straight away (well apart from the same fanboyism):
    anto1208 wrote:
    Jesus christ you couldnt have missed the point more if you tried , i didnt say anything bad about xbox on this thread all i did was say i felt sorry for some one who lost 400 euro in 7 months .
    jodolan wrote:
    Mainly Reliability , all the games in the world are no use if your xbox is in holland getting fixed for a month :D

Interesting how Jdolan 'defends' Anto on this thread after Anto was banned.

I can safely say I'm very happy with my 360 and I've gotten great value for
    money from mine.

Has anyone asked the mods to do IP checks?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

jodolan wrote:
    Think he completely missed that joke !!! .

I think it starts acting up disc read errors etc . Mine is giving disk read error and making weird noises a lot more than it used to . Im just waitign for it to break any second now . Its really annoying , really makes sense to get a PS3 ASAP. XBOX could have a million games but they are usless if your console is in Holland getting fixed :D

Admins / CMods: Please ban this fellow / anto1208 or whatever from games as a whole.
    His continued trolling messages make my brain cells die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Admins / CMods: Please ban this fellow / anto1208 or whatever from games as a whole.
    His continued trolling messages make my brain cells die.

Seconded!

Hopefully the mods will compare IP addresses soon.
    I've already reported the duplicate accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jodolan

Hopefully the mods will compare IP addresses soon.
    I've already reported the duplicate accounts.

Let me get this straight you are complaining about me posting replies on topic that you could easily ignore , and then you fill the threads up with loads of posts completly off topic and im the one ruining the thread :confused:

sad really sad

The only thing sadder would be if you went running off telling tales to teacher ..................oh no wait !!!

jodolan wrote:
    Let me get this straight you are complaining about me posting replies on topic that you could easily ignore , and then you fill the threads up with loads of posts completly off topic and im the one ruining the thread :confused:

sad really sad

The only thing sadder would be if you went running off telling tales to teacher ..................oh no wait !!!

Oh wow,a troll who thinks he's really smart because he made a dumb little joke about people notifying the mods that you created a new account to get around a ban.

sad, really sad.

Reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

jodolan wrote:

sad really sad

This is the Xbox forum. Telling people to get a PS3 in this forum is trolling, plain and simple. Also you seem to have two accounts, one of which was previously banned. Therefore you are banned from the Games Category.

Well back on topic my xbox is off to the xbox hospital. said it could take up to 22 WORKING days,hopefully not

Well back on topic my xbox is off to the xbox hospital. said it could take up to 22 WORKING days,hopefully not

Make sure you get them to credit you for not being able to use Xbox live,
    they should add 1 month onto your subscription seeing as you can't use
    it for a month.

cheers,good to know.

yeah,if you act really annoyed they sometimes send you a free game or two.

Advertisement