Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water proofing a tent

Options
  • 02-07-2007 9:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

is there anything out there that you can get to waterproof a tent,because the one i got says shower proof and by the look of things this weekend is going to be wet and i dont want to have to sleep in a wet tent.thanks in advance by the way

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, Any outdoors shop should be able to help you. Nikwax, who do a wide range of waterproofing sprays, almost certainly have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Tenting in the serious wet has a few problems
    1. Water coming in through the top of the tent. This is worst when anything is touching the side of the tent
    2. Water coming off the ground. You can get ground mats to reduce this but if you camp in a river you are going to get wet
    3.Dragging water in with you. Hard to avoid unless you are very careful.

Main thing i would do is arrive in good time (before it is dark etc) so you do not end up camping in a hollow. And bring a dry bag (plastic bag) so at least you have a dry change of clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Can you not return it and get a waterproof tent? I wouldn't take any chances with the weather this weekend..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tyther

I got that nikwax stuff,seems good thanks for the suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

*OLD THREAD*

Still though - I've got the same question and it seems like a waste to start a new thread.

In my case, my tent is about 4 years old and the outer sheet is losing it's waterproofing, and drips are coming in.

It's a Highlander Yukon tent, not sure what fabric it's made of. There's a big range of Nikwax products on Amazon, not sure which would be best.

Main choice seems to be spray or washing machine. I think the outersheet will just about fit in the washing machine, but it would be tight.

Anyone got suggestions, please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

We have military tents and use Fabsil. Never had a problem. You can buy it in a camping shop.

Thanks a mil, will look it up. I've just checked the material our tent is made of and it's polyethylene. Would those military tents you mention be the Icelandics that I would have seen in scouts (I think they were heavy cotton) or are they a more modern version?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Most of them are British Army Canvas 9 by 9's, there are also a few 12 by 12's and one scorpion tent (goes one the side of the vehicle). The 9 by 9's have a cowl at the rear to allow access to the inside of Landrovers.

Thanks, I think from that description maybe fabsil might be more suited to cotton tents so. I'll look it up online, they may have a product for polyethylene tents too.

Advertisement