Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying a patio

Options
  • 02-07-2007 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭

I am a total novice to DIY and the like but I have decided that I am going to lay my own patio. It will only be a small 16sq meter size of a slate type slab.

My big question is what do I need under it.

I know I will need some hard core and some sand but I have no idea how much of each. My garden is quite sofe in general.

is there anything else I should be aware of apart from dig, hard core and sand and laying them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

I laid a small paved area a little while ago and as a complete novice I turned to the DIY store for advice. The area that needed covering previously had a threadbare shingle surface but was reasonably level so all I bought was a few bags of patio mix, this stuff and it did the job, although if you can a few bags of sand to help level the area would be a good too :)

Lots of tips and advice online, the link I gave has some useful info too, just have a google.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

if you go to somewhere like roadstone retail they will go through exactly what you need, they have the propper paving grit which is easy to level which is the most important. It is also the best material to allow water to pass through when you have it finished. You could do with getting a whacker plate to compact the sand before you lay the paving

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Advertisement