Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carrauntuohil help

• 02-07-2007 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

We are coming to Ireland this summer and I want to climb Carrauntuohil, has anyone here got any tips for the best way up and where to start. What sort of times are we looking at. I am staying in Tralee and would appreciate any help for the best way to go and park etc. Would be nice if someone could help me on the correct pronounciation too.

I have been up Ben Nevis, Snowden, Scafell and Helvelyn and would like to top the highest peak in Ireland aswell.

Thanks in advance for any help Mike :):)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

I am not an expert on hiking and particularly on this mountain so if anyone else answers believe them not me

I have climbed this by the devils ladder which is hairier then a bears arse. Try another route or at very least wear a helmet and go when no one else is on it.

I would pronounce it something similar to
    karen-two-hill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 numpty999

cheers for that. Having read a couple of posts it does seem that the Devils ladder is a tough route.
    Thanks for the pronounciation tip. I hate going somewhere and mispronouncing places, i always feel rude if i do.

mike:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

numpty999 wrote:
    cheers for that. Having read a couple of posts it does seem that the Devils ladder is a tough route.
    It's not really that it's tough, but there's a lot of erosion going on up there and there's a constant danger of loose rocks falling from above. I believe Kerry Co. Council wanted to close it for a while to do some remedial work to make it safer, but there was a row about whether they'd need planning permission believe it or not!

Anyway, there are some alternative routes up, look on http://www.kerrymountainrescue.ie/routes/ . The route via Caher, although long, is quite a nice scenic one if the weather's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 numpty999

thanks for the help. That link is great cheers.

mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 GrindsGuy2008

Should people here not organise a time for going up Carrantouhil? I haven't been up it yet but would certainly like to and I'm sure there might be others also?

Would this be able to happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I dunno - I don't think I have the time (I might) but if you want to organise something I'll help out as much as a moderator can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Turns out i was being a big wuss about the devils ladder

http://www.eveningecho.ie/news/bstory.asp?j=227710416&p=zz77yyyzz&n=227711176

82? most young people i know could not get up that mountain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

There is also quite a good (but hairy) ridge walk you can take as part of your route, unfortunaltely for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. Looking at Google Earth I think it's marked in as the Skegmore - Beenkeragh - Carrantoohill, perhaps someone will recognise the one I thinging of a be able to give more information.

Advertisement