Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 320i opinions?

Options
  • 02-07-2007 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here have an E46 BMW 320i? I am thinking of importing one from the UK (coupe), could just stretch to it (2.2L version) instead of the 318i but being a 6 cylinder I know it will just drink petrol. The idea of a 6 pot is really something I want and I feel if I went with the 318 I would regret it later.

Anyone got any opinions on them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

I have an E46 320 coupe. Its definately alot more responsive than the 318 i had before, its not going to blow you away with power, but still has enough to make the drive enjoyable. The real benefit is the smoothness of the engine and the sound of the 6 pot. If your buying a BMW, dont go for a 318 4 pot,

BTW, mine is for sale - http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=26862&cat=500

X.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Elessar wrote:
    Does anyone here have an E46 BMW 320i? I am thinking of importing one from the UK (coupe), could just stretch to it (2.2L version) instead of the 318i but being a 6 cylinder I know it will just drink petrol. The idea of a 6 pot is really something I want and I feel if I went with the 318 I would regret it later.

Anyone got any opinions on them?

it wont drink petrol, should do around 28-29 mpg on a combined cycle, if you do mostly long trips this will be higher (well over 30)

something to consider is that a 323/325 will have similar consumption and similar insurance costs so may broaden your search scope

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭omega man

I would deffo go with the 320i. Sweet engine with enough power to keep you happy. I would think the additional cost of fuel would be minimal if you drive her easy enough. Tax isnt much more but insurance could be. I went with a 320D due to fuel economy and i also needed a 4 door due kids etc. I wouldnt compomise on looks though and had to have the M-sport version.

Elessar wrote:
    being a 6 cylinder I know it will just drink petrol.

The OBC on my 318 reported 33MPG which i verified by filling up driving to empty and fill again. The OBC on the 320 reports 32MPG which has been verified using the same method.

X.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Isn't the 2.2 litre petrol engine in the E46 a 4 cylinder unit? I thought the smallest 6 cylinder engine in the E46 was the 2.5 litre?

• Advertisement

nope thats the e90/92 you are thinking of :)

bazz26 wrote:
    Isn't the 2.2 litre petrol engine in the E46 a 4 cylinder unit? I thought the smallest 6 cylinder engine in the E46 was the 2.5 litre?

Nope, 2.2 up have 6 cylinders.

X.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Oh ok, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

xabi wrote:
    The OBC on my 318 reported 33MPG which i verified by filling up driving to empty and fill again. The OBC on the 320 reports 32MPG which has been verified using the same method.

X.

This is reassuring, but I am reading other reports online of people only getting 20-25mpg city driving.

All cars will have worse mpg in the city, the 6cyl bmws suffer badly from this but make up on longer trips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

I have an E46 325 Ci automatic and I'm getting 29MPG around the city. So I couldn't see the 320 being worse. On a long run I can get 40mpg if I drive carefully. But seriously you don't buy a 2.2 / 2.5 six-pot for fuel economy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I have the E36 323i and on the motor at 75mph it manages the same mpgs than my brothers 1.9tdi Alhambra (Around 40-50mpg). For cruising the big engine doesnt drink petrol badly. I recently got from Dublin to Galway on just over a 1/4 tank of fuel via the N4/6 with crap traffic in Moate and a few other places. Not bad. City driving seems to drink the petrol on the big engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

jayok wrote:
    I have an E46 325 Ci automatic and I'm getting 29MPG around the city. So I couldn't see the 320 being worse. On a long run I can get 40mpg if I drive carefully. But seriously you don't buy a 2.2 / 2.5 six-pot for fuel economy:D

Jeez... I really wish I choose the automatic over the manual when I got my E46 325 Ci, you get much better MPG with city driving than I do and I recall from a previous post you're RPM at 120km/h is only 2200, mine is over 2500 at the same speed...never realised it made such a difference.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Strange as this site says the Auto vs Manual rear diff ratios are the same (3.46) for the e46 325ci. Mine is much taller at 2.93.

http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/GearRatios.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭omega man

Andrewf20 wrote:
    I have the E36 323i and on the motor at 75mph it manages the same mpgs than my brothers 1.9tdi Alhambra (Around 40-50mpg). For cruising the big engine doesnt drink petrol badly. I recently got from Dublin to Galway on just over a 1/4 tank of fuel via the N4/6 with crap traffic in Moate and a few other places. Not bad. City driving seems to drink the petrol on the big engines.

323i 40-50 mpg! God i only get 40 at best on my e46 320D.

Advertisement