Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus Zetec Collection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Having owned both a 1.4 focus and a 1.6 focus in the past, the only advice I can give you is to hold out and get a 1.6. The 1.4 is very sluggish and very frustrating to drive. The 1.6 makes a huge difference they are harder to find but still are plentiful trust me it is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

I agree with muletide, I own a 01 1.6 focus zetec, when I was buying it I test drove a number of 1.4's, so sluggish in comparison, correct me if im wrong but I think the 1.6 has better fuel economy too.

There are some nice ones out there, mine came with aircon,heated front window, traction ctrl, etc...

Hang on a bit and hopefully you will find one...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Same as that, had the Focus for over 100k miles (wife has it now) and the 1.6 version is a very nice drive. 1.4 is underpowered.
    So would hold out.

Some nice versions up north so you should consider importing one maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I had a Focus Collection a few years back, although it was a 1.6. As the lads above say, the 1.4 is quite sluggish. The collection is a nice spec though and that looks like a particularly tidy example - on top of standard Zetec spec, you get leccy sunroof, rear spoiler, nicer seats, stainless steel grill, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

yop wrote:
    Same as that, had the Focus for over 100k miles (wife has it now) and the 1.6 version is a very nice drive. 1.4 is underpowered.
    So would hold out.

Some nice versions up north so you should consider importing one maybe?

too late, after buying it now!! not the one in the ad but the exact same
    one in another garage. damn!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

22 minutes later?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

my my, Jack Bauer is quick off the mark :rolleyes:

Par72 wrote:
    22 minutes later?

haha, no bought it on saturday. havent picked it up yet.
    just wanted to know did anyone have any feedback on it,
    went for a test drive and liked the look and added spec,

damn you impulse buying!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

too late, after buying it now!! not the one in the ad but the exact same
    one in another garage. damn!! :rolleyes:

What!!! U gave us 10 minutes to give our advise!! :rolleyes:

Best of luck with it anyway, have to sealed the deal and collected the car yet?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I've owned, believe it or not, 8 1.6 Foci of various guises :D

The current one, a 07 Zetec Connection 3 door, is probably the best yet. The Connection pack, which costs €500, gets you 17" alloys, climate control, keyfree, bluetooth, auto wipers/lights/rear view mirror, and voice control for phone, climate control, and radio/cd.

The 1.6 engine is fine, although I'd prefer a bit more grunt tbh. That 2.5 ST spoiled me.

• Advertisement

yop wrote:
    What!!! U gave us 10 minutes to give our advise!! :rolleyes:

Best of luck with it anyway, have to sealed the deal and collected the car yet?

lesson learnt, check with the boards crew before buying, not after!!

What was the ST like Henry? Costly to run was it and hard on Irish roads? Would love to get one as a "toy" !! :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

yop wrote:
    What was the ST like Henry? Costly to run was it and hard on Irish roads? Would love to get one as a "toy" !! :)

A superb car yop. Mine was Performance blue, and a 3 door.

Engine was a peach. Pulled really hard even from quite low revs - VVT and a turbo helped I guess. Made a fantastic growl from it's 5 cylinder lump. Gearbox was good 6 speed job. Acceleration was very rapid. I especially enjoyed the mid range poke. No need to rev hard, unless you needed/wanted to.

Handling was majestic. Huge tyres helped the already sorted Focus set up.

Ride, despite the big 18" wheels was pretty good. A couple of hours in there was fine.

Seats were the best I've ever sat in. Proper Recaros with 10 different adjustments.

Like any quick car you have to pay for your fun however. Fuel consumption was heavy but acceptable for the performance. Think low-mid 20's mpg. Tax and insurance were about €500 extra p.a. than in an "ordinary" car. I had to replace 1 tyre - over €200. It was 100% reliable with no niggles at all.

All in a great motor, and highly recommended :D

p.s. Don't get an orange one.

A superb car yop. Mine was Performance blue, and a 3 door.

Engine was a peach. Pulled really hard even from quite low revs - VVT and a turbo helped I guess. Made a fantastic growl from it's 5 cylinder lump. Gearbox was good 6 speed job. Acceleration was very rapid. I especially enjoyed the mid range poke. No need to rev hard, unless you needed/wanted to.

Handling was majestic. Huge tyres helped the already sorted Focus set up.

Ride, despite the big 18" wheels was pretty good. A couple of hours in there was fine.

Seats were the best I've ever sat in. Proper Recaros with 10 different adjustments.

Like any quick car you have to pay for your fun however. Fuel consumption was heavy but acceptable for the performance. Think low-mid 20's mpg. Tax and insurance were about €500 extra p.a. than in an "ordinary" car. I had to replace 1 tyre - over €200. It was 100% reliable with no niggles at all.

All in a great motor, and highly recommended :D

p.s. Don't get an orange one.

Did it require a more than regular service? I love the blue one alright, only doing about 10 miles a day to work so mileage wud be generally low.

Orange, why not? I cud be the Irish Avid Merrion!! :D

No servicing issues. Same as any other petrol Focus. Fixed menu servicing too.

p.s. I sold mine before it was even due a service. I tend to sell them on quite rapidly.

Any issues to look out for if I was buy one? Would probably be a 04 or 05 model.

Sorry for hijacking your thread JackBauer!!!

No issues afaik yop. The 2.5 MkII Focus ST only became avaialable in 2006 afaik.

I wouldn't bother with the MkI 2 litre one.

haha, no bought it on saturday. havent picked it up yet.
    just wanted to know did anyone have any feedback on it,
    went for a test drive and liked the look and added spec,

damn you impulse buying!!

Fun to drive, one of the most reliable hatchbacks you can own, 1.4 is a bit underpowered but its handling makes up for it.

Very good car imo. (used to own one)

ronoc wrote:
    Fun to drive, one of the most reliable hatchbacks you can own, 1.4 is a bit underpowered but its handling makes up for it.

Very good car imo. (used to own one)

Thanks for the comments,will be mostly driving around dublin so woulnt be
    going anywhere in a hurry anyway i suppose ;)

Advertisement