Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for Betting Beginner

Options
  • 02-07-2007 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

New to Gambling!! I need to clear a small loan so my mortgage approval will go through. A friend suggested I place a few bets - but I haven't a clue how or what etc. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

M0use wrote:
    New to Gambling!! I need to clear a small loan so my mortgage approval will go through. A friend suggested I place a few bets - but I haven't a clue how or what etc. Any ideas?
    I dont think its sound advice to bet money to repay a loan. If you do, stick to something with low risk/ less possible outcomes. Tennis is ideal especially with Wimbeldon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I highly recommend that you don't gamble to pay off a loan unless you've got an inside scoop on something. That money hole you have could become very big!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

It takes a hell of a lot of time and research to start churning a profit from betting, and 95% of people will never manage to do it long term. That advice was poor and you could quickly find yourself in a bigger hole than you are in already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Mouse you need to find some better friends. The one who suggested this is a moron. If you need to clear a small loan in a bank then borrow the small amount elsewhere, either a credit union if you have an account or from someone you know. Gambling is, and I mean this, the absolute worst way to try to clear debts. And I say this as someone who knows more about gambling then anyone in the country.

Any bet you make will be a losing propositon unless you're a professional gambler, and far less than 1% of gambers are winning gamblers. Even professional gamblers who devote their whole lives to the subject have a tiny edge *some* of the time, it is a long term game.

Put this idea out of your head. Get the money from elsewhere. And never take advice from this friend of your again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Bernard Hopkins

stay away from gambling,.......one wrong bit of advice and your debt has doubled,........ try it angain to get that back and your debt is quadrupled,....... you could loose your entire house on a saturday afternoon.

it's happened,... i know 2 people who it happened to (house loss +family)
    I know a man who put a gun to another man's head over a gambling debt.
    i know a former multi-millionaire who goes around in rags today.

I spent almost 2 years betting 30 pence and 50p bets before I had the confidence to go larger.

Come back when you got money you can afford to loose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

if you have debt the last thing you need to start doing is gambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

hotspur wrote:
    And I say this as someone who knows more about gambling then anyone in the country.

Thanks for that. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Bateman wrote:
    Thanks for that. :rolleyes:

LOL, was thinking the same myself. Are you Mr. Power or Mr. Boyle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Um, just to clarify that point which I made, which I probably shouldn't have. I certainly didn't mean I knew more as a punter. I'm a psychologist whose area is gambling, I kinda meant I know more about the issue of problem gambling and the idiocy of gambling to clear debts. There is a an academic field called gambling studies, it's that that I know more about. I'm sure you could all pick more winning greyhounds than me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Bernard Hopkins

lol,....... thought that was quite funny actually !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Here is my tip, its always worked well,

"Only bet what you can afford to lose."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

DonJose wrote:
    "Only bet what you can afford to lose."

Which if OP is in debt is nothing. Bad advice from your mate there, if you really are determined to clear your debts by gambling, may I suggest doing what the rest of the country does...Lotto, it's only €4, you'll more than likely still be in debt after it but at least you're not digging a hole by going to the bookies and losing the lot.

If gambling was that easy, we wouldn't have bookies shops. Ever noticed how they have one pay-out window and three bet here windows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Macca206

How much is the debt? The favourite to be evicted from BB on the Fri ALWAYS gets evicted. small winnings.

To clear the loan who not go via credit union? or via 6 month interest free halifax credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Macca206 wrote:
    The favourite to be evicted from BB on the Fri ALWAYS gets evicted. small winnings.

This is total bolox. Orla was 1/3 against Science on the Friday, Science went.
    Cameron was 1/7 against Tickle, Jon Tickle went.
    Last year Aisling and Nikki flipflopped in the early hours of Friday, so one of them was a losing fav.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Macca206 wrote:
    How much is the debt? The favourite to be evicted from BB on the Fri ALWAYS gets evicted. small winnings.

Ah yes, a " you cant lose bet". They always work. Except when they dont and bite you in the ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

The 1 that got evicted tonight was 1/200

So.. to win €1k you would have only needed to stake a small sum.. €200,000 that is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

That's what I did. Took out 200k from the ATM on Monday there and said I'd give it a go. People in the queue behind were well p|ssed though!

Advertisement