Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java's Cafe Bar on Campus - your say

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭McSween

Can you get one of those Orange Juice machines that make's freshly squeezed OJ. I love Freshly Squeezed OJ in the mornings and its great with vodka too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

One thing is vital - comfy couches. Too many places have stools or horrible wooden chairs. It should be a haven for students, somewhere they can feel comfortable in nice intimate surrounding, especially on a cold December day!

Some nice art prints on the walls maybe?

EDIT: Just remembered - maybe get the college to put in a wireless network connection in the unit? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Teslacuted

If I can make a suggestion about the background music, it's important to have a variety of styles, obviously mostly easy going stuff but don't lock yourselves into the one type. The 'Art of Coffee' drove this point home the past year by having the same bland Norah Jones CD on repeat for about eight months straight.

Also, a few people have mentioned it here already but live performances throughout the week are a must - whether it's local groups or just some student performers.

btw, Croissants are a fantastic idea, I'd buy one with every cup. And for the geekier members here who need wireless access, don't forget to have a few seats near power plugs - laptop batteries don't last long.

Once things have settled down a bit you should be looking to keep things fresh, keep attention on the place - something like a different cultural theme every week (cultures with coffee where possible) where you'd have different beans and blends.

And don't forget to promote fairtrade!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Chocolate Telescopes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Ninety9er wrote:
    I'm sure as a business person you'll know that 100 profits of 40c are better than 25 profits of 90c. And students being students...price is king.

Unfortuantly for us they never replied to that point :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

cooperguy wrote:
    Unfortuantly for us they never replied to that point :(

ye it didnt take long to be forgotten about :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 vincentcarraghe

Hi there;

creperie please and loads of savoury or sweet crepes.

if you need to see a very good working example; you will find it across the road from the passport office in Dublin and down a bit - forgot the nane of the business but they do a huge range and are extremely busy!

also very poor range of yoghurt opn campus

regards

Vincent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Java's Cafe Bar

Re - free drink for comments - that would be against the alcohol policy of UL otherwise we'd be game ball:)

Re - Crepes - we can't cook to order so we will prob do them as specials from time to time.

Re - Low prices - we'll have a lower mark up than in most places with the hope that increased custom make up for it. However we do intend offering nice food so there is a trade off.

Re- couches we will have a few and one or two chairs.

What do you think of Bocadillos?

Other suggestions noted. We are close to starting the revamp so any structural / furniture suggestions would be needed now.

Entertainment and food policy are always welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Well..what this needs to be more than anything is an alternative to the Stables, somewhere where it's not uncomfortable, near-impossible to talk to people, and that has pounding awful music on constantly.

In terms of the interior fit out, getting this right will be the key to successfully creating somewhere pleasant and comfortable to be in. Something like in Starbucks where there are plenty of couches along with chairs & tables so relax in. Seats with low coffee tables along with chairs with normal height tables for eating at. Just please don't make it like a cafeteria with plastic seating, or awkward and uncomfortable like the Stables. I'm not sure how big the area is as I've never actually been inside it, but if you can, have a contrast between busy/quieter areas. Areas to eat and chill out during lunch, less relaxing areas for a few drinks before going out, quiet areas to bring the girl to - like what a poster said earlier.

Also, don't try and do too much at the one time. Stuff like having a different theme each week won't work. Keep it simple and focus on the important things, which I'm sure you know anyway. Alot of places try to have these sort of gimmicky nights/themes on campus which are..well, crap. If you have a solid base and everything basic is done well and the customers are filling it up, then perhaps think of trying something different.

Is it looking like the venue will be open for the start of Semester 1, or will it be pushed back a little?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Chowburger

Structure/furniture-wise - my favourite part of Java's in town was the atmosphere upstairs. I loved the mis-matched tables, the free-hanging chair, the fireplace (don't suppose there's much hope of that being replicated), the warm colours, the beams in the ceiling... I'm not even saying that it's those specific things that need to be there, but a similar atmosphere would be what would have me in there regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Re - free drink for comments - that would be against the alcohol policy of UL otherwise we'd be game ball:)

Not if you serve nibbles;)

I think I speak for everyone when I say we'll take a coffee, a crepé, a pastry, a burger anything really. We're students, we're good like that :D

Jugs of beer in the evenings would defiantly go down well if they were good value. If I remember right you said somewhere in the thread that you may even leave an entire cd by the same artist play. I dont think that is a very good idea. For one thing the people that dont like that artist wouldn't be long in leaving! And I was in a place that did that before and people just started saying the owner was lazy!!! A varied playlist I think would be a better idea.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Unfortunately my student days are in the past so won't get to see the new place. Sounds great though.

Employee students if at all possible, i.e. glass collecting for a few hours, washing up in kitchen... or other stuff. [A pretty girl working in the place could account for a few extra £20's in the till at the end of a day] :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 meanturtle

hey this seems like a great idea. all the ideas here are exactly what i wanted the last two years. Cambells are a nightmare i cant seem to get away from them im in boston scientfic on coop now and they do the catering here too.

Maybe you can get the government to change the law and let us smoke inside business would be booming!!!!!

meanturtle wrote:
    hey this seems like a great idea. all the ideas here are exactly what i wanted the last two years. Cambells are a nightmare i cant seem to get away from them im in boston scientfic on coop now and they do the catering here too.
    Ya that's 1 of the big advantages of this Im sick of Cambells and its EVERYWHERE. There's only a few places you can escape it.

I know people in Boston Scientific how many of ye ar up there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Funkstard wrote:
    Well..what this needs to be more than anything is an alternative to the Stables...
    Well what's wrong with the stables? I agree with what you said about it been uncomfortable and that but what else? If this new place is to be a real alternative it has to have what the stables doesn't!

The most important things are the basics...as always, if you don't get these right no one will give a **** about your frappe-mocha-lattes or whatever. As mentioned already price is king, then you have quality of whats on offer-even if its just regular coffee, then there's quality of service, atmosphere and price again!!

I really like the idea of having music playing in the background, something that can be playing away while you chat with people but not too boring at the same time.

Will this new place have toilets? I don't see this mentioned anywhere in the thread. I know the paddocks doesn't have toilets but it closes at 7ish so it not really a big deal and you don't spend to long there. Its a basic thing but I see nothing mentioned about it and I'm sure the ladies wouldn't be long leaving for the stable if the place didn't.

caesar wrote:

Will this new place have toilets?

maybe its different for places like unis(alot of things are) but im sure someone once told me that if you serve food or drink and have people sitting down it is a legal requirement to provide toilets

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Kudos

Couches, Beer (wider variety than heineken [muck]), House music. Then you will have recreated my old haunt back in Cork. Seriously though, anything more laid back than the stables is a win.

To the people suggesting lower priced beer at certain times, aka happy hour, that's against the law and has been for years.

To the people who have graduated (i count 3 so far that i know), gtfo! :P

Kudos wrote:
    To the people suggesting lower priced beer at certain times, aka happy hour, that's against the law and has been for years.

thats why i suggest lower priced beer than all competitors in a hundred mile radius ALL THE TIME. therefore no happy hour and perfectly legal...........

also in theory they can sell below cost since that law was removed(pretty sure thats correct) now THAT would be impressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Java's Cafe Bar

Re -furniture so far there will be fixed seating, in two parts, couches in one part, high tables in one area and we are hoping to put in some reclaimed furniture and tables depending on space (reclaimed from town!)

RE- Re Toilets there are male and female just outside the entrance (covered by arch).

Re - Prices - we will have at least one (perhaps two) largers than will retail a little less than the other beers. Still trying to tie the breweries down on deals so will be able to confirm drinks on offer next week.

Re - Jugs/Pitchers we going to run a pitcher of beer with afternoon dinners - it should serve 3.75 pints so we will have to devise a pricing for it. The idea is that a table would purchase it.

Re - Prices of soft drinks - if we serve coke, orange etc on splash (i.e. through a dispenser rather than a glass) it will be a bit cheaper to retail. We it would mean that mixers would be cheaper. What do people think?

• Advertisement

Re -furniture so far there will be fixed seating, in two parts, couches in one part, high tables in one area and we are hoping to put in some reclaimed furniture and tables depending on space (reclaimed from town!)

high tables are great for eating but crap for sitting around drinking hope there is enough of an alternative

Re - Prices - we will have at least one (perhaps two) largers than will retail a little less than the other beers. Still trying to tie the breweries down on deals so will be able to confirm drinks on offer next week.
    Re - Jugs/Pitchers we going to run a pitcher of beer with afternoon dinners - it should serve 3.75 pints so we will have to devise a pricing for it. The idea is that a table would purchase it.

i dont see why you could not have 3 euro pints seen as alot of pubs do it regularly (in dublin at least). also the pitchers should not just be of the crap horrible beer but for any beer you serve
    Re - Prices of soft drinks - if we serve coke, orange etc on splash (i.e. through a dispenser rather than a glass) it will be a bit cheaper to retail. We it would mean that mixers would be cheaper. What do people think?

as long as it is actually coca cola you are serving and not dunnes stores cola then i doubt there would be a problem

I'd be all for it, BUT, will it be Club NOT Fanta and 7up NOT sprite. There's just something about those drinks that make them less appealing to the pallate...too fizzy I think. Don't forget the Cream Soda and red lemonade :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

To the people who have graduated (i count 3 so far that i know), gtfo! :P

Hush you! Freshers week and Rag Week etc etc :)

PeakOutput wrote:
    high tables are great for eating but crap for sitting around drinking hope there is enough of an alternative

Very true.
    PeakOutput wrote:
    also the pitchers should not just be of the crap horrible beer but for any beer you serve

To be honest I thought the pitchers would be for every beer that they sell. With a few percent off what it would cost to buy 3.75 pints separately (for buying in bulk:D) Would I be right Javas because I can see that being popular??
    Re: Jugs/Pitchers we going to run a pitcher of beer with afternoon dinners - it should serve 3.75 pints so we will have to devise a pricing for it. The idea is that a table would purchase it.

I dont see why you cant do that all night instead of just at dinner time. I for one wouldnt be buying it with my dinner but I definatly would buy it at night time between friends.
    Prices of soft drinks - if we serve coke, orange etc on splash (i.e. through a dispenser rather than a glass) it will be a bit cheaper to retail. We it would mean that mixers would be cheaper. What do people think?

I would definatly be happy with getting the splash (when your JD and coke costs little more than the price of a Jack its good - I love the sports bar for this!!!). And as for people that would just be drinking straight club orange or whatever as long as its the proper stuff they wont mind.

On a side note did anyone notice the Bud advertising in the top right of the screen. They're not allowed on campus to do it (for the moment) so they go for the forum:D

Will you boyos be running a designated driver programme??? (i.e free soft drink in a round of 2-4 alcoholic drinks). Also if you do go down the (genuine branded) soft drinks on tap line I'm assuming a pint of coke etc won't be more than €2.50 otherwise I'd just go to the shop nextdoor!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

ninty9er wrote:
    I'd be all for it, BUT, will it be Club NOT Fanta and 7up NOT sprite. There's just something about those drinks that make them less appealing to the pallate...too fizzy I think. Don't forget the Cream Soda and red lemonade :D:D

It would most probably be Fanta and Sprite, seeing as these are owned by Coca-Cola and if they went for the C&C line up they would most likely get Pepsi...and no-one likes that!

Besides, Fanta out of a dispenser is heaven in drink form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Peteee wrote:
    if they went for the C&C line up they would most likely get Pepsi...and no-one likes that!

Oh no most definitely not Pepsi is a bad bad thing......no Pepsi anywhere ever. Granted it probably won't bother me all that much given that I'm no longer in UL but I'm sure people will appreciate that Pepsi isn't a patch on Coke :)

Cheers
    Rory

rmacm wrote:
    Oh no most definitely not Pepsi is a bad bad thing......no Pepsi anywhere ever. Granted it probably won't bother me all that much given that I'm no longer in UL but I'm sure people will appreciate that Pepsi isn't a patch on Coke :)

Cheers
    Rory

I'm no fan of pepsi, but since it's not a C&C product, why in the name of all that is swacred can we not have Club.

Fanta and Sprite are as the cola consumers have described Pepsi...not a patch on the competition!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

cooperguy wrote:
    On a side note did anyone notice the Bud advertising in the top right of the screen. They're not allowed on campus to do it (for the moment) so they go for the forum:D
    Heh, well that's coincidence. Boards got bud advertising which spills over here. This forum is completely independent of UL, ULSU and the ULSU forum, though obviously as it currently happens I have mod rights on both here (through being an smod) and the ulsu forum (it's one of the babies of the ULSU PPO job).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

ninty9er wrote:
    I'm no fan of pepsi, but since it's not a C&C product, why in the name of all that is swacred can we not have Club.

Fanta and Sprite are as the cola consumers have described Pepsi...not a patch on the competition!!

C&C have the franchise to bottle Pepsi in ireland.

As it would turn out, C&C was recently bought by britvic, which own the rights to Pepsi in the UK, and now Ireland.

I'll hear no more derogatory remarks about Fanta :p

Advertisement