Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java's Cafe Bar on Campus - your say

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

2 points to note me thinks, first off let there be no TV... none at all !!!

And also, trust us with real glasses please, not those ****e generic ones or plastic ones (horrible). Is it too much to ask for my Guinness in a Guinness glass, I promise I won't steal it..... I have enough ;)

Pitchers until late sound good, also available in a variety of beers please, no pitchers of Guinness though!

EDIT: Also serve food, if I'm hungry but not for a big dinner I have to get a roll, there is nothing in between :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

spideog7 wrote:

2 points to note me thinks, first off let there be no TV... none at all !!!

And also, trust us with real glasses please, not those ****e generic ones or plastic ones (horrible). Is it too much to ask for my Guinness in a Guinness glass, I promise I won't steal it..... I have enough ;)

Good points TV tends to stifle conversation especially if the volume is turned up.

And definitly no plastic glasses, there's a pub here in Thurles I've stopped going to because to get Guinness in a proper glass required a bit more effort than I was willing to put in. They only have those poxy plastic glasses in the beer garden.

Cheers
    Rory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

This place sounds brilliant.
    If the prices are anyway competitive its a surefire hit imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

this place is gonna be full of posers,probly of the law & Acc/Euro type although I havent been down there since the medical courses started up!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,930 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

If all goes well on Wednesday...I might be able to take a trip to this place in September!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

So what's the deal with this place is it opened ?? Is it good, has anyone been in it. Well maybe I should wait til next week to ask, but reply anyway because I'm on co-op and won't get to see it until January.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Target for opening is October 1.

Mentioned on page 1 of the current An Focal but given that you've not been around you wouldn't have seen that. Never mind, here you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

spideog7 wrote:
    So what's the deal with this place is it opened ?? Is it good, has anyone been in it. Well maybe I should wait til next week to ask, but reply anyway because I'm on co-op and won't get to see it until January.

I was very disappointed at the state of the place when I turned up at 8 on Monday morning. It's still a big empty room with no structure and a few chairs strewn randomly around.

I'd be very surprised if the October 1st deadline wasn't for 2008

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Java's Cafe Bar

Hi all

yes the opening date is Oct 1st - in the lap of different contractors at the moment so this may be moved although so far so good.

We're finalising menu's options at the moment so we'd appreciate any coments and suggestions.

Also in relation to beers - please let us know which draught beers you feel are essential! We are short on space so will not be stocking certain brands.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Do you have to be a student in UL to go here?
    ie. will little teens be allowed go there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Do you have to be a student in UL to go here?
    ie. will little teens be allowed go there?
    Hopefully they wont be!

As for beers on draught. Heineken, Budweiser, Bulmers, Guiness are needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Something like Hoeggarden would be great on draught, ie. something different from the usual draught options. However I suppose a more exotic beer would be more expensive. I think you should try and have something special in the bottled beers, maybe something like Kirin, Singha or something from the far east. They sell quite well where I work.

Other than that, Kopperberg seems to be pretty popular at the moment. I had a few Coors Light today in the Stables and really enjoyed them. Could be an option for women too?

It's hard to say really, you want something different but that might result in a higher price which definitely isn't what you want in a student bar. Also if you are stuck for space...

Maybe try and focus on how you sell the drink instead. Please think about pitchers - nothing better than sitting around one with 2 or 3 friends.

As for the food, just please don't offer the horrible chips served everywhere else..at least throw a bit of paprika or something on them to make them stand out. Think of how bland, boring and frankly quite awful alot of food is on campus and try and offer an alternative. How something is cooked can easily be the most important thing; think of if word gets around that the place sells excellent buffalo wings or something, I presume alot of the menu will be regular foodstuffs but it if they're cooked well and a bit of thought is put into it, that alone could be all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

slickmcvic wrote:
    this place is gonna be full of posers,probly of the law & Acc/Euro type

Retract that remark you bollocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

cson wrote:
    Retract that remark you bollocks!

:D:D:D:D

me waits for bluedolphin's sarcy comment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

What's the story with this? Little or no progress seems to be happening...Oct 1st sounds very far fetched..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Progess today I heard.

Oct 1 should be no bother. TWC should have the interior done in no time and then just stock/furniture etc.

I shall be down aprés pay day I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Progress indeed Kai,

Got a small visual myself, and got confirmation from the horses mouth, as in the company TWC who are doing the interior of the bar.

I'd say it should be open for the 1st....

Theres a big fecking gouge gone out of the ground outside it. Had a look inside, looks like theres a kinda snug thing above on the right.

cson wrote:
    Theres a big fecking gouge gone out of the ground outside it. Had a look inside, looks like theres a kinda snug thing above on the right.
    That snug area has been there since the days of the Scholars. That could be moved yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

They seem to be digging up half of the Student Centre courtyard... One would imagine they're installing opti-fibres and new drainage and gas pipes. But that's somewhat unlikely.

One week to go!

Will a deadline actually be made on UL campus?!

That'd be a first.

(Is that 'sarcy' enough for you ninty9er? :p)

Ooh, ooh, must have mixed fruit Kopparburg; me likey! And decent orange juice cos me likey that also and probably would drink it more than the Kopparburg.

• Advertisement

Not a rats arse notion thats gonna be finished in a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

cson wrote:

Lol.

It'd be fun to see how quick they could fill in a hole that big though. Considering the amount of time it took them to actually dig it.

Maybe they just dug it to seem like they were doing something? Meh, a bookies woulda been a much better facility there anyway. Café Bar is far too continental for my liking :D

cson wrote:
    Seconded!

Pints on me for all here if they have it finished, Im that confident it wont be done:D

Jaysus, the big houle seemingly disappeared over night. However a bin sits suspiciously in its place. Walked passed it today and they were varnishing the floors, you'd nearly get high off the smell of it.

I'll be there Oct 1st for the opening.

Those free pints are looking good now :)

Kaimera I think you are likely to be standing on your own come Monday. That place won't be finished!

Nah, I won't be there. The joys of graduating and real life™

A little bird told me at 7:30 this morning that they ae fitting the Bar in there today. And after my sneak peak there yesterday, I don't see why it shouldn't be open next week.

• Advertisement

And after a quick reality check, I have seen for definite that work has begun on fitting the Bar and the adjoining cold room for the beer. :D:D

Advertisement