Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java's Cafe Bar on Campus - your say

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Hey guys, in for the first time today.

Chips good

Steak nice but I got a stringy bit or 2 in it. I did think the steak sandwich would be a sandwich of steak rather than steak on a bit of ciabatta (i think??)

Steak knives would be a good idea for steak too. Very happy with the availability of proper pints of minerals at a reasonable price and with the proper taste unlike the Stables.

The messasge board is an excellent idea...keeps the customers involved.

Some frosted glass on the kitchen doors wouldn't go amiss though....niggly little thing IMHO.

Chips are good, but maybe have a check of the oil or add more slat to the mix...there's something really, really miniscule in there to be improved on, but the crispness is right on.

Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Right, I've been 3 times now.....

First night went in for a quiet pint of Heinken, very quiet at the time (8pm-ish), have to say the pint was a tad ropey but I find it very hard to get a nice pint of Heino (Sports Bar is probably the best). It's very laid back compared to the stables and its nice to be able to have a conversation.

Second night, went in for a quiet pint of Guinness, which I have to say was excellent, a minor thing though that threw me a bit was the barman filled the pint before it had a chance to settle even a little. I wouldn't mind if the place was busy but it was quiet enough.

Today I went in for a spot of dinner, had the chicken and garlic spuds which tbh were a bit too heavy for lunch imo. Chicken was grand but the spuds kinda ruined it. Price-wise, a touch dearer than everywhere else at €7 but good value nonetheless. €2.40 for the pint of Coke is excellent too, splash system was a great idea.

Overall I'm impressed, mostly would agree with the things mentioned already in the thread, the couches and armchairs idea would be a good one, and perhaps re-aligning the tills and coffee machine would be an idea as it proved a tad awkward today and would definitely be an issue if it were busy. Maybe have the till away from the bar and have people queue the other way around;

T
    I
    L
    L
    ......Food..... /
    ^-<
    <
    ] B
    ---->
    > ] A
    R
    /

Also, I was quite put out that no-one recognised me in my white Paris St Germain shirt with a big red "CSON 9" on the back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

I find some people's posts here laughable.

Cson, how can you say you found the chicken and garlic spuds to be heavy? Did you not know they would be before you ate them?? Surely if you wanted something light, there was something else available...

As for the chips argument, stringy or thick cut, it's all the same. The only way you can improve on chips is if they're home made, fresh cut ones. Simple as really.

Have eaten there the last two days and had two differing opinions.
    The burger on Wednesday was pretty decent and reasonably priced. Today, I had a ciabbata,ham was nice, had a different flavour to it but found the side salad of lettuce and cucumber ( i didn't want tomato) to be a waste really. Though not sure what I could add to improve the ciabbata. There is potential there though to make it a really nice sandwich spot. Also, that and Cappuccino for 6/6.50 was a bit much in my opinion. A sandwich n coffee deal for 5 would go down well.

I like the idea of full bottle's of wines being made available and am looking forward to bringing the missus down for an afternoon of wine tasting followed by exotic beers.

Now if only you had a fillet steak to add into the equation that would be QED.

Care to elaborate why peoples posts are laughable?

I never said the food was bad, the food was good quality. Anyway you're supposed to be discussing Java, not my culinary disposition.

And fillet steak wtf? Are you a mature student flash with the cash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

cson wrote: »
    Care to elaborate why peoples posts are laughable?

I never said the food was bad, the food was good quality. Anyway you're supposed to be discussing Java, not my culinary disposition.

And fillet steak wtf? Are you a mature student flash with the cash?
    Now now guys, play nice. Use your words like big children :)

• Advertisement

You only quoted my post... thats not fay-re :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

cson wrote: »
    You only quoted my post... thats not fay-re :D
    I forgot to multi-quote :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Apologies if I came across as arrogant.

It's just string/thickcut chips, it's all the same really...... although there were chipper chips today, had to have a beer with them....:D

Yeah, I'm a mature, but still a pretty young (25) student who appreciates savage good fillet steaks and wine.

Any chance of a chilli burger instead of pineapple??

I haven't really seen a listing of all the import beers available and a price list for the pitchers of beer. Am sure it's probably there staring me in the face when I go in but I think it would be a help if one was available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

I want the penguin so badly. Apparently if it's damaged beyond displayable use I can have him.

Penguins rock! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

That penguin was freaking the **** out of me the other night, his head is cocked to one side and he has a vicious, vicous stare on him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

I want the penguin so badly. Apparently if it's damaged beyond displayable use I can have him.

Penguins rock! :)

The what now?

Pics?

Funkstard wrote: »
    That penguin was freaking the **** out of me the other night, his head is cocked to one side and he has a vicious, vicous stare on him.

Yes! I know! He's incredibly insane looking. He's fantastic!
    Peteee wrote: »
    The what now?

Pics?

The penguin in Java's...He's a ceramic penguin about three feet tall who lives on the windowsill to the right and just beyond the upper level...near the back door. As Funkstard mentioned, he's also quite vicious looking. Not exactly a 'Happy Feet' star, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Just a quick note if Javas is reading this... Food is savage, but ye need bigger glasses for the water. The glass provided is way too small, i dont want to be making 3 trips OR taking three glasses with me.

Just a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Do what I do and bring one of the jugs to the table

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 LiveThroughThis

Hey =)

I've still yet to wine and dine in javas here on campus.
    BUT
    I have walked straight in one door and straight through thee other...
    and I had thought that it'd, er, be a bit more alternative? I'll maybe put that down as another classic expectation that doesn't meet first impression.
    My boyfriend's from town and so he's told me all about the old one.
    Chair's hanging from ceiling anyone?
    Got me excited
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

I think when UL says "alternative" it means "not Campbells"...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 LiveThroughThis

Oh.

:(

did anyone else see the security video...classic:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Was in again last night, and was impressed with the atmosphere.

I sampled somw new fangled "Ale" that's on draught there now, Galway Hooker: Pale Irish Ale.
    I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by it too, although it does leave a lingering taste which was described to me by a mate as tasting of "Carling" :(
    However, at €4 a pint you could do worse..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Mossin wrote: »
    Pale Irish Ale.

Always knew you liked the pale ale. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Cardinal

The music's been pretty good any time I've been in. Lemon Jelly one evening, that was awesome.

Also, for anyone who likes coffee it's definately the best on campus, not that there's a lot of competition. I did notice the bean hopper was a bit too full on both grinders. Really, you shouldn't leave the beans out in the air that long... but that's just being pedantic.

Feckin Declan O'Rourke havin the whole place swamped lasnite....coulnd't get in for a coffee at 9:35 when it was supposed to be re-opened at 9:30.:mad::mad:

Small complaint though...I could have pushed my way to the bar, but there's the stables for that...him being there wouldn't so much bother me as the fact that every last inch of floorspace was covered. I suppose I wouldn't mind if it was someone I want ed to see like Tommy Tiernan or something.

Anyhow...back on topic...3 coffees, a tea and a hot chocolate and change from a tenner :D:D:D:D. I love this place!!!

I was in here twice this week.
    Pint of Guinness €3.85 as opposed to €3.70 in the Stables. :mad:
    And tbh, the pint wasnt of a hugely high standard in Java's.
    I'd agree with CSON's word that the Guinness in the Sports Bar is good, but again tbh its just better that Java's.

Live music on Tuesday night was good. :)
    A good atmosphere in there, and not that awful DJ from the Stables blasting **** into your ears.
    Last night had about 10 ppl in there :eek:
    I though with the elections that some ppl would be about celebrating, but they were obviously somewhere else....
    As for the selection of music being played :( It was atrocious!!!

Mossin wrote: »
    Last night had about 10 ppl in there :eek:
    I though with the elections that some ppl would be about celebrating, but they were obviously somewhere else....

Official election after-party with food/drinks was in the Stables. And it seemed all the FYP-finished Engineers were in there too; twas jammin'!

That'd explain it alright

• Registered Users Posts: 31,929 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

God this thread had started ages ago and is up again. Thought I might have been experiencing Limericks Java last September but alas, not to be. This September, I know the Java's off Shop Street in Galway is B-E-A-utiful! So this place will have standards to meet when I get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Was there on Wednesday for a few drinks. The TradSoc have their sessions there on Wednesday now so it was great to walk in and hear it going on.

Completely prefer this place to the Stables. I like being able to talk to people in comfy seats. Neither of which happens in the stables!

They're still making an effort with the nights on there, the range of drinks available and general effort with making the place somewhere good to go. Here's to them keeping it up!

Advertisement