Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting dangerous dogs

• 02-07-2007 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Could anyone tell me how to go about reporting dangerous dogs? What steps to take, who to call, what to say etc.?

It's not for me, it's for my Gran. There are 4 Rottweilers in the space of less than a mile and there's at least one loose all the time. There's one next door, another further up the road and then 2 more in another house down the road. We don't know which one is out and we don't really care. Shouldn't they be kept in and muzzled? It's gotten to the stage now that my Gran is afraid to go outside the door and we're all afraid to go down there too. I absolutely adore dogs, all animals in fact and I'm even cautious of them.

Yesterday, one of them stood outside the gate and growled at my Mam and Gran. She said for luck she just got inside the gate before he got to it. Another day my aunt sat outside waiting for one of the dogs to get out of the garden so she could go in. I mean, it's getting ridiculous. We'll have to tell any of the relations with kids not to come down. If one of the dogs attacked one of the kids, he'd kill the child.

What do we do?

Any help at all would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

- Jane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

The dog warden? Try and find out who owns the loose dog(s), so that you're not reporting innocent people...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Kildare doesn't have a dog warden which is where she lives. Or so I've been informed. The 4 dogs look exactly the same so we haven't a clue who owns what dog, but yeah you're totally right, we don't want to be reporting the wrong person.

Kildare
    Dog Wardens
    Frank Mitchell
    Seamus Deay
    Kennel Assistant Eugene Lawler
    Pound Address
    ISPCA Dog Shelter, Portersize, Ballitore, Co. Kildare
    Tel: 059 8623388

Not sure if this is the right one or not...

You could also call around to each house, and see which is the culprit and try explain the problem to them. This may be the best approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

I agree with fits find out who owns the dogs approach them with your concerns and take it from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

fits wrote:
    You could also call around to each house, and see which is the culprit and try explain the problem to them. This may be the best approach.

Well I hope that if you do this, you have more luck than we've had. There was a dangerous dog on our road for years, he'd bit several people, chased everyone and everything that passed his gate and had been reported numerous times to the gardai and dog warden, but as the dog apparently was never out when the warden arrived, nothing happened. Or maybe it was the fact that its owners were the owners of a large business in the town.

The bottom line was that nothing was done and I think the dog eventually died, not sure if natural causes or hit by a car.

Of course, he wasn't considered a 'dangerous' breed, though I'm not sure what difference it makes when young children are around. :mad:

I think many dog owners aren't aware that under the control of dogs act, no dog is supposed to be roaming free in public, they are only supposed to be out in public while under the control of their owner. See http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/act/pub/0032/sec0009.html#zza32y1986s9 .

Mind you, this seems to be virtually ignored. :(

I agree with you.. I would absolutely *never* let my dogs roam freely, for their own safety, for the sake of wildlife and farm animals, for the sake of other pet owners, and for the sake of other people.

I have no idea why anyone would think its ok to let their dogs roam freely..

Perhaps... the owners just need to be set straight, which is why I would call to them first before taking more serious action...

Tbh if there was a dog like you describe in my area, I'd either 'steal' him, or something else... I wouldnt stand for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I would tie a note to the dogs collar (or make a "collar") saying something to the effect of:

your dog has been caught running free and endangering people. Keep it under control or the next person catching it will be the dog warden

but then ...you'd have to be able to catch it first and put that note on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I'll discuss your ideas with the family and see what they think. Thanks a million for all your help. Keep posting if there are any more ideas.

Once again, thanks a mil.

- J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

One thing is for sure Jane. Do not let this go!
    It is crap like this that give genuine "proper" dog owners and certain breeds a bad name!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Ok slightly off topic so I apologise in advance folks, but I'm not a dog owner myself, and nobody in our family keeps them so I'm a bit lost at times with regard to their behaviour.
    My question is, how does one react when confronted by a snarling barking dog? Last week I was out for a walk and two large dogs ran at me agressively as I walked past a bungalow where they live, I didn't see a gate of any sort and they were freely roaming around the front of the bungalow. I stood my ground at first, then slowly made tracks without turning my back on them and as one of them was getting too close so bent down and I pretended to pick up something to throw at him, at this stage he backed off. Both of the dogs were quite large which didn't help. Bottom line, I have had to curtail my walking route because some dog owner doesn't keep his beasts under control.
    It was a pretty scary episode tbh.

tallus wrote:
    Ok slightly off topic so I apologise in advance folks, but I'm not a dog owner myself, and nobody in our family keeps them so I'm a bit lost at times with regard to their behaviour.
    My question is, how does one react when confronted by a snarling barking dog? Last week I was out for a walk and two large dogs ran at me agressively as I walked past a bungalow where they live, I didn't see a gate of any sort and they were freely roaming around the front of the bungalow. I stood my ground at first, then slowly made tracks without turning my back on them and as one of them was getting too close so bent down and I pretended to pick up something to throw at him, at this stage he backed off. Both of the dogs were quite large which didn't help. Bottom line, I have had to curtail my walking route because some dog owner doesn't keep his beasts under control.
    It was a pretty scary episode tbh.

Good question...
    I've been trying to teach my nieces and nephews to react well around dogs recently...
    The general advice for kids is to fold your arms and avert your eyes, and slowly turn away.
    Tbh, I'm not sure how I'd react myself in this kind of situation, it would probably depend on the dog...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Both of these dogs were around the same size as a Boxer, that kind of height, and very well built.

tallus wrote:
    Both of these dogs were around the same size as a Boxer, that kind of height, and very well built.

I mean it would depend on the dogs behaviour and expressions as to whether it might be better to just ignore it and turn away, or not.

If you're not familiar/confident with dogs, I really think it would be best to keep your hands in, avoid eye contact, and move away slowly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

I'd just report the dog straight away to the warden, if it's out all the time then the owners obviously don't care that it's terrorising people, and TBH I wouldn't want to confront the owner of an aggressive rottwieler, especially if they dont bother to keep it under control. If you do have to go down the route of calling the warden later on then they'll know it was you. Wouldn't take the risk.

As for reporting the wrong people, just call when the dog is out and have the warden come and take it, you dont have to give a name to the warden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Contact the dog warden/gardai & explain that there are several rottweilliers in the area & that one is often loose & is acting aggressively etc. & that your nan is afraid to leave her house & you do not want to confront the owner in case things turn nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Love&Light

No dog, regardless of breed should be out and about without being on a leash. It is people like your one irresponsible neighbour that give other rotties and their responsible owners a bad reputation and fuel hysteria when incidents do occur. Any dog can get into a situation that results in a child, adult or other animal being injured or worse. The Gardai should be able to come and remove a dog that is causing trouble, particularily if it is a listed breed. I would definitely try to find out who owns the free running dog and tell them that you intend to report them to the warden services the next time you see the dog out without being under control.

I also hope that you are being equally as vigilant if you see a labrador or collie strolling around your area, Rottweilers are not the only breed that can cause harm when allowed to roam freely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

This should help you.

However, I would not approach any of these loose dogs & attempt to put 'notes' around their collars nor approach their owners houses. You leave yourself open to attack by these dogs by invading their proximity or entering their 'territory'.

Try to establish who their owners are by watching where the dog goes & report it to the local Gardai, who should contact the local Dog Warden for your area.

You will be required to make a statement for them & they do the rest. If they were loose & growling, as you described, then they need to be controlled before they do attack someone or another animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

but then ...you'd have to be able to catch it first and put that note on :D[/quote]
    And WHO will bell the cat...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

Love&Light wrote: »
    I also hope that you are being equally as vigilant if you see a labrador or collie strolling around your area, Rottweilers are not the only breed that can cause harm when allowed to roam freely.

I saw something a few weeks back on The Afternoon Show. There was a child with a very bad facial scar as the result of a dog bite. I thought 'here we go again, another moron has let a pitbull/rottweiler/dobermann/alsatian/other dog that the public perceives to be dangerous run around out of control and now we'll have the 'Will someone please think of the children' brigade screeching for them to be banned'

Turned out I was mistaken, this time it was a stray labrador.

I read something in a Liverpool online newspaper about a four year old girl being left with scarring which will require surgery as a result of being bitten on the face by a ****zu. The father was furious that because the breed was not listed as a dangerous breed, the dog could not be put down.

Frell, I've heard of an elderly man needing to be hospitalised after his cat freaked out after being accidentally sprayed with water whilst the man was misting his parrot. The cat went for his throat and pierced his jugular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

you should try to talk to the owner. the dog may not be aggressive but it will be put down if you call the warden and it is possible the owner doesn't know that this will happen and explain how if he/she continues to let their dog out that it will be caught and put to sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Had the same problem with a neighbours dog barking, groweling digging gardens approched the neighbour and he said it was a guard dog and that was his job. The dog was reported to the warden. They were a bit reluctant to get involved until asked for the title of the person who was dealing with in case/when the dog did attack there would be a case to answer by the owner and the authorities.the warden did drop out and the problem was sorted, dont let it drop.
    The owner probably does,nt know his dog is out but thats not an excuse
    your safety is more important than the dogs welfare or the owners feelings

Advertisement