Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Main Dealers - Ring for Prices

Options
  • 02-07-2007 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Has anybody here ever rang all the main dealers of a particular brand when buying a new car to see what their best cash price was.

e.g New VW Golf - Know exact spec and no trade in but don't want the hassle of going around to all the dealers.

What was the reception like from them. Did they get back with a price or did they not want to have anything to do with you over the phone..

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

In general they wont deal over the phone. They rather you come in so they can try and intimidate you into buying unnecessary extras.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Same as that, It was 01 when I was buying my Focus and none would deal over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Where are you based Mike?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Mike2006 wrote:
    Has anybody here ever rang all the main dealers of a particular brand when buying a new car to see what their best cash price was.

e.g New VW Golf - Know exact spec and no trade in but don't want the hassle of going around to all the dealers.

What was the reception like from them. Did they get back with a price or did they not want to have anything to do with you over the phone..

Mike.

It's a two-way street as well of course, you'll be able to negotiate a better deal for yourself if you call in person and use up their time on a test drive etc.. If they've invested time in you, they're more likely to negotiate with you than they would if someone rang them for a minute or two. That's what I reckon anyway.

If you phone them, you'll probably get a list price and an explanation that you can get a cash discount, but that you'd need to call in to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I am based in Dublin but it would be my intention to make contact with as many nationwide dealers as possible in order to maximise my chances of a better discount.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Mike2006 wrote:

Mike.
    I've done it. They don't like quoting discounts over the phone, but they will do it if they feel they have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭whippet

I did it recently with just about every VW dealer in the country. I would say that I got a quote from about 30% - quoting list price only. about 30% didn't even call me back and the rest gave a very slight discount.

You are in a much better position for negotiating when face to face and the dealer knows that you are genuinely interested.

One dealer who I spoke to gave me the list price, I told him I know what I want and was looking for the best price .. his line was 'Well that wouldn't be the price if I was doing a deal with you' .. I replied 'so what do you think I am doing calling you?' .. he told me I could be a timewaster, so I told him he wouldn't be getting the business !!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

whippett, that was the sort of answer that I was expecting to get...

It looks like I will have to call around in person to get a genuine discount.

Thanks all for replies.

Mike2006 wrote:
    whippett, that was the sort of answer that I was expecting to get...

It looks like I will have to call around in person to get a genuine discount.

Thanks all for replies.
    You will get a discount from almost every dealership over the phone, but it does take a little patience and skill. Start off by dropping in to your local VW dealership, and negotiate the best cash discount you can for the exact car you want. When you call other dealerships, make it clear that you are ready to order the car immediately. Give them your specification, and ask about delivery/available build slots. When you ask them for a discount figure and they refuse, tell them that you have been offered €x (x being slightly more than the discount you were originally offered). Ask them whether they can beat this figure, for an immediate order with deposit. If they say yes, establish by how much. Note the name of the salesperson, and the discount. On you go to the next garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The thing is that dealers get dozens of calls every day of the week and most probably result in no sale. So your not going to get their best price unless you go to them in person so that they know your serious about doing a deal.

Totally understand though that you cannot visit every dealer across the country but it might be best to start with the closest and work your way from there. Also since you are located in Dublin it might be worth calling into a few dealers outside the big smoke as they may be a bit more eager to do business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Here Goes:

Dublin
    Gerry McGloughlin in Fosters - 01 2090000
    Paul Ryan in Grange Motors - 01 289 3611
    Kevin Green in Brady's is on Holiday at the moment - 01 821 3053

Cork
    Pat O'Leary - O'Leary's of Lissarda 021 7336146

Laois
    Joe Cleary - Michael Moore's Portarlington - 057 862 4102

Dealt with all of the above this year and found them very good. Some others I dealt with haven't made the list because I wouldn't recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I would avoid Dublin dealers anyway, and its generally policy not to give cash prices over the phone but they cant refuse to give it to you. If you press them they will simply give the agreed cash price !

No poin in wasting time, just get in the car and head off !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I assume a manufacturer's warranty = a manufacturer's warranty ? If so, I'd buy from the UK, pay the VRT etc, and still have a better-spec'd and slightly cheaper car.

franksm wrote:
    I assume a manufacturer's warranty = a manufacturer's warranty ? If so, I'd buy from the UK, pay the VRT etc, and still have a better-spec'd and slightly cheaper car.
    A UK warranty would be fine here. That said, UK tax-free prices are (AFAIK) still higher than here. A used car might make sense though, unless the OP absolutely wants a new one.

Advertisement