Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North West Gay Pride Parade!

Options
  • 02-07-2007 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

NorthWest Pride Parade set to take place this August 18th Jun 30,

Speaking on Ocean Current this morning one of the organisers of the event, Hayley Fox Roberts said she doesn't think people of the North West are homophobic but she does think more education should be provided on sexuality:

Hmm not sure if I agree with Haylet Fox Roberts - maybe she should give a few lectures in Summerhill College!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

That's crap! There are pockets of Homophobs everywhere in Ireland and that'll never change. I don't think there is any evidence that we are more homophobic up here!

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

NorthWest Pride Parade set to take place this August 18th Jun 30,

Speaking on Ocean Current this morning one of the organisers of the event, Hayley Fox Roberts said she doesn't think people of the North West are homophobic but she does think more education should be provided on sexuality:

Hmm not sure if I agree with Haylet Fox Roberts - maybe she should give a few lectures in Summerhill College!

So, will you be attending?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Gillie wrote:
    That's crap! There are pockets of Homophobs everywhere in Ireland and that'll never change. I don't think there is any evidence that we are more homophobic up here!

Thoughts?

Totally agree Gillie,

If gay people wish to have a parade, that is their right and good luck to them.

P. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

tend to agree, if they want a parade then so be it.

Why did this parage not coincide with Gay Pride in dublin though, thought that would be the most logical thing.......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They might want to go to both.
    Don't they know pride is a sin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Don't they know pride is a sin?
    Haha, very good :)

Maybe not homophobic in the northwest, but not altogether open and accepting in my experience either - certainly nowhere near having the resources or day-to-day acceptance you'd find elsewhere.

In relation, I attended a talk given by BeLonG To recently, a Dublin based LGBT youth group (14 to 23 year olds, or something like that), and they outlined plans for similar initiatives nationwide. Sounds like a great idea and the whole talk itself served as an eye-opener to the sorts of services and resources which I didn't have anywhere near while growing up in the NW.

Where's this parade taking place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

"homophobia" is everywhere, doesn't matter where you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 iosfra

Woot, it's going to be great :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

"homophobia" is everywhere, doesn't matter where you go.

Personally I believe those who are totally homophobic, are the people who do not know their true sexuality and they concern me more than those who are openly gay ;) .

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Paddy20 wrote:
    Personally I believe those who are totally homophobic, are the people who do not know their true sexuality and they concern me more than those who are openly gay ;) .

Couldn't agree more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 iosfra

Homophobia completely befuddles me! I just don't understand how someone could let a hatred grow for something that doesn’t concern him or her. A hobby would be much healthier.

Well look at racism or facism or any "ism".
    To those who practice it, it's second nature and the norm!
    To those who don't it is totally crazy and makes no sense!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Some people are threatened by difference. They can'nt just live and let live to their shame. They hide behind arguments of economics and health to try and justify their bigotry. If they arent exposed to difference and people that challenge these assumptions how are they going to change?
    Surely theres a rural/urban divide re rates of homophobia isnt there?
    I know that I had two mates that needed to emigrate from Ireland cause they were gay. Okay that was 20 years ago but it must happen that people feel they have to move now to Dublin for example. The North West is still quite a developing area and isnt as cosmopolitan as some of the bigger population centres. Its trying. Its great to see Gay Pride in Sligo for example.
    Alot of homophobia is in the language and humour thats used commonly not just about the extreme and dreadful attacks that some gay people have had to endure. In my opinion I have heard a fair bit of idle chatter that holds homophobic undertones that would'nt be tolerated elsewhere. Suppose it just like racism need to challenge it if you hear it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

What's with mentioning Summerhill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Qwertyboy

I'd say its the same in all, all male colleges, we just hate the gays. j/k
    I dont mind them as much just as long as they dont show their affection in public. Makes me Cringe >.<

Qwertyboy wrote:
    I'd say its the same in all, all male colleges, we just hate the gays. j/k
    I dont mind them as much just as long as they dont show their affection in public. Makes me Cringe >.<
    Oh you naughty boy. You cant expect us to allow views like that to be posted here without reprimand.

Red card - 3 days and Im being lenient here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

Oh you naughty boy. You cant expect us to allow views like that to be posted here without reprimand.

Red card - 3 days and Im being lenient here.

haha :D it was just an opinion,muffler.

haha :D it was just an opinion,muffler.
    And it was my opinion that it would cause offense to certain people. He can get his own site up and running and mouth all he wants from there but this is a private site with strict rules and definitely no free speech.

There endeth the lesson

Shamrok wrote:
    What's with mentioning Summerhill?

What he said!:confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

muffler wrote:
    And it was my opinion that it would cause offense to certain people. He can get his own site up and running and mouth all he wants from there but this is a private site with strict rules and definitely no free speech.

There endeth the lesson
    I think what he was trying to say that in most boys schools the kids there will gay bash because it is the thing everyone is doing even though they may have no problem with gay people or could even be gay themselves. Although he could have phrased it a lot better.

• Advertisement

I think what he was trying to say that in most boys schools the kids there will gay bash because it is the thing everyone is doing even though they may have no problem with gay people or could even be gay themselves. Although he could have phrased it a lot better.

Hmm.
    Certainly wasn't my experience when I was there!
    We had other things to worry about - believe me!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Gillie wrote:
    Hmm.
    Certainly wasn't my experience when I was there!
    We had other things to worry about - believe me!
    I'm not on about serious lynch mob style stuff but the occasional jibes.

I would normally have him off for a week but I did bear in mind that he may have been posting along the lines you state and thats why I let it go at 3 days.

In any event it wasnt the most helpful of comments regardless of what he meant.

muffler wrote:
    I would normally have him off for a week but I did bear in mind that he may have been posting along the lines you state and thats why I let it go at 3 days.

In any event it wasnt the most helpful of comments regardless of what he meant.
    Yeah I was thinking that all right. It was badly phrased to say the least and to be honest I don't see how you could phrase it without causing offence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

So are ye going to support the march today to show soliditary! I didint see anything about it on the champion but found it here.

http://www.nwprideireland.com/next.html

Tis a shame they have got miserable day for it. Hope theres still a good and colourful turnout. :)

Advertisement