Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dealer fined €500 for sale of 'clocked' used car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

jonno23 wrote:
    From his site, it does appear that he's a Kia dealer
    jonno23 wrote:
    checked the Kia website, but he's not listed as an official dealer

Good detective work! I just checked and indeed, there are no official dealers in Co. Longford. Fair play to Kia that (assuming he once was an official dealer) they kicked him out of the channel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭CK.1

JHMEG wrote:
    Anyone know if said dealer is a SIMI member?

Also, anyone know if Madden Car Sales, The Grotto, Lucan, is a SIMI member?

Madden Car Sales are no longer trading.

CK.1 wrote:

How do you know, CK.1? Just checked a few of the usual ad sites and indeed there don't seem to be any ads for Madden Car Sales

I doubt if he ever was a SIMI member. And let's not even start about those dozens of non-SIMI dellboy type dealers around the Naas road...

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

For info...

If the car is a UK import you do not need the UK registration to get a HPI check done. They will happily HPI the car on it's VIN number too (£25 for 5 checks online, instant results), and thats easy to get from under the bonnet, windscreen, sills, wherever it is on the particular car.

A lot of the UK imports are lease/hire cars and typically have medium to high miles when disposed of in the UK. If you hear that they have to get a printout from the UK then suspect a hire/lease car as these cars will rarely have their original books with them.

If it's a low mileage one owner, then believe the one owner bit, Might have been Hertz, Avis or similar, but thats still one owner. You should suspect the low mileage though, these cars simply do not do low miles and what miles they do are usually driven quite hard with little sympathy for the car..

There's always the odd private one owner low miler that loses it's service book, but seems like every dealers forecourt is full of the one owners and "I'll get the printout from the UK for you" cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 westmeath_marie

Hi Guys.

We bought a car from Reillys,it was a 03 a4 ,has full service history and have to say We never had a problem with the car!

The Director of Consumer affairs stated that they did not clock the car,they are genuine nice people and I think that they are gettin the harse end of the stick because it is the first conviction in Ire!:)

Buy the way does anybody know where I could pick up a leather interior for an audi a4.....thought i mite treat myself.....Or are they interchangable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Hi Guys.

We bought a car from Reillys,it was a 03 a4 ,has full service history and have to say We never had a problem with the car!

The Director of Consumer affairs stated that they did not clock the car,they are genuine nice people and I think that they are gettin the harse end of the stick because it is the first conviction in Ire!:)

:D:D Your name would'nt be Mrs O Rielly by some outlandish coincidence????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

OKenora wrote:
    irish version of HPI is at http://www.carcheck.ie/

Have to say though that i thought they were VERY VERY expensive. UK HPI offers 5 checks for £25 (36) if you shop about, carcheck want €150 per car :( Why am i not too surprised though?

EDIT sorry that price includes a visual inspection, like the AA/RAC checks so not too bad I suppose.

Their terms and conditions states

J. Car Check [Ireland] Limited will not be liable for any consequential loss or damage arising from any negligence on the part of Car Check [Ireland] Limited.

So thats means no responsibility :D if i understand it right. Kind of my DREAM job !
    Mentioned here
    http://www.carcheck.ie/TermsConds.doc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

CK.1 wrote:
    They have a signpost up on a pole at the end of the road. Official looking signpost too, like as if it was put up by the council.

Tho no cars on their website, and no ebay activity in over 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

OKenora wrote:
    There's always the odd private one owner low miler that loses it's service book, but seems like every dealers forecourt is full of the one owners and "I'll get the printout from the UK for you" cars.

In fairness this did happen to me when buying in the UK. Except the car had 2 owners (Both private). I had to ring the place where the car was bought, gave the VIN and reg and they faxed me on the Service History. Lucky me, the engine had been replaced in 2004 (320d had dodgy turbo's in 2002, whole engine was replaced under warranty)

End result, got me a nice 320d 2002, with a 2004 engine in it, only 35k on the engine when i bought it, 74k on the body... Now at 80 something k miles and drives sweetttt :D Actually, I fancy selling it for something agricultural, maybe an LS200 or something, PM me if you wanna swap

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Pretty much every BMW imported by garages for sale in Ireland is clocked. We've come across so many of them it's unreal. The only way to know is to ring up BMW UK and check the reg for service records. The clockers are also clocking the keys so that they will tally with the mileage on the odometer.

BTW John, an LS 200 sounds terribly slow! better go for a LS430 or IS200 ;)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    How do you know, CK.1? Just checked a few of the usual ad sites and indeed there don't seem to be any ads for Madden Car Sales

I doubt if he ever was a SIMI member. And let's not even start about those dozens of non-SIMI dellboy type dealers around the Naas road...

He ceased trading while being investigated for the other car clocking matter raised here. The ODCA were unable to take any action against him as he was no longer trading.

CK.1 wrote:
    He ceased trading while being investigated for the other car clocking matter raised here

How do you know he was being investigated? If he was being investigated, how do you know it was because it* was raised here?

*I remember that issue well. It was a small petrol Volvo he bought on ebay with a huge mileage and he subsequently tried to sell it on his website and on carzone.ie, clocked down to a low mileage.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

unkel wrote:
    *I remember that issue well. It was a small petrol Volvo he bought on ebay with a huge mileage and he subsequently tried to sell it on his website and on carzone.ie, clocked down to a low mileage.
    ahem - allegedly!
    :D

Did I mention any names? :D

unkel wrote:
    Did I mention any names? :D
    Yes! :D

Oops :D

unkel wrote:
    Oops :D
    I still have PDFs etc saved which *appear* to show a 162k mile 2003 V40 from ebay being sold with 44k on the clock by said dealer...

As I said earlier on in the thread, I'm surpised to read they've closed. Last time I was in Lucan there was a signpost with their name on it (hadn't noticed it before). Only being 2 miles further out the N4 I must check it out for myself.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

colm_mcm wrote:
    Pretty much every BMW imported by garages for sale in Ireland is clocked. We've come across so many of them it's unreal. The only way to know is to ring up BMW UK and check the reg for service records. The clockers are also clocking the keys so that they will tally with the mileage on the odometer.....

A rather sweeping statement! :eek:

HPI every car. It really is essential and the offer a STG10000 guarantee.

I've very little sympathy for punters who get stung because they wouldn't pay for a data check.

unkel wrote:
    How do you know he was being investigated? If he was being investigated, how do you know it was because it* was raised here?

Because I know the person who reported him. Here is the response from the office of Comsumer Affairs.

Dear Mr XXXXX

Further to your complaint about the possible clocking of English registered
    vehicle Volvo S40, registration number ND03 RXG. Just a note to inform you
    of the outcome of our investigation into your complaint. This vehicle was
    sold on to a Dealer and it has never been presented to the Revenue Vehicle
    Registration Office for registration here in Ireland. The Dealer is no
    longer trading and this leaves us with no avenue to pursue.

I would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and
    please don't hesitate to contact us again should you feel it necessary.

Yours Sincerely,
    Evelyn Galvin

Interestingly the car still hasn't been marked as exported from the UK by the DVLA, and is still on UK plates! Looks like it's still here tho...

The enquiry is complete
    The vehicle details for ND03 RXG are:

Date of Liability 28 06 2006
    Date of First Registration 28 04 2003
    Year of Manufacture 2003
    Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1834CC
    CO2 Emissions 164g/Km
    Fuel Type Petrol
    Export Marker Not Applicable
    Vehicle Status Unlicensed
    Vehicle Colour GREY
    Vehicle Type Approval M1
    The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry.

EDIT: Sign post still there, but the place looks closed.

• Advertisement

Good work, dudes!
    CK.1 wrote:
    Because I know the person who reported him

And that person came upon the issue here on boards.ie first?

unkel wrote:
    Good work, dudes!

And that person came upon the issue here on boards.ie first?

Exactly :-)

Thanks for confirming that, CK.1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I did see that Volvo at Merlin car auctions a few weeks after the allegations, as it drove through Merlin himself said "no no no, can't sell this car, keep it moving...."

a week later Mr Madden was there and bought a few cars, 1 of which was a 04 A4 with 75k on the clock and front right damage.... the car never appeared on his website though, I was going to enquire about it.

I contacted them just now about a 316i on sale there (http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=735604)
    Despite the website claiming it has an NCT until Jul 08, they will guarrantee it will pass its NCT (giving it until Jul 09)! When quizzed on this anomoly I got some kind of mumbled answer.
    Incidentally, the car came in from NI and when I questioned its "80% Service History" I was promised a call back when he found the details.
    No call yet! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I wouldn't be surprised if they're moonitoring the threads....

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭hotshots85

siochain wrote:
    My wife was stung by Terenure Motors about a year ago, bought a BMW off them what a pile if rubbish it turned out to be.
    terenure motors is a sub of stadium motors in tallaght the sunday world exposed this guy and it was common knowledge in the area that dodgy stuff was going on id keep well AWAY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭TedKelly

A rather sweeping statement! :eek:

HPI every car. It really is essential and the offer a STG10000 guarantee.

I've very little sympathy for punters who get stung because they wouldn't pay for a data check.

I know that you are aware of the situation that I am in. Unfortunatly we are not all up to date with these kind of things. I personally looked for months for the car that I wanted and within my budget. I believed by going through a main garage and not a private sale, I would have no fear of this kind of thing. I never even heard of a HPI report until coming upon this site (and stumbling acroos my own car). I feel you're being a bit harsh on the ordinary joe soap who just wants to buy a car and puts his trust in the garage he buys from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭gbh

I think the websites that advertise cars from dodgy dealers (not going to name names) have a lot to answer for as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

TedKelly wrote:
    I know that you are aware of the situation that I am in. Unfortunatly we are not all up to date with these kind of things. I personally looked for months for the car that I wanted and within my budget. I believed by going through a main garage and not a private sale, I would have no fear of this kind of thing. I never even heard of a HPI report until coming upon this site (and stumbling acroos my own car). I feel you're being a bit harsh on the ordinary joe soap who just wants to buy a car and puts his trust in the garage he buys from.

Caveat emptor Ted.

Any response from dealers yet?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement