Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I guess it just had to happen...

• 02-07-2007 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Well, just had my first accident on Wednesday afternoon (last week) on my way home after work...

Was on North King Street which is a one-way street with two lanes. Was on the right hand lane turning left (both lanes go left but you can go straight if you are in the right hand lane). In the middle of the bend a small Isuzu van which was on the left hand lane (and thus must turn left) decided to cut across my lane to go straight.

He hit me on the left hand side and knocked me off the bike. I hit the ground pretty hard (my helmet literally saved my life - felt like somebody hit me full force with a baseball bat in the back of the head) but no real injuries. Just felt rough for a couple of days. The bike went under the van and was dragged for about 5-6 metres before the driver finally decided to use the brake!

Garda on a motorcycle arrived on the scene and took everybody's details. It was obvious the van driver was at fault so I hope his insurance will pay for everything.

As for the bike damage: the engine bars really saved the bike on that one (and here I was thinking of taking them off a couple of weeks ago)! However they now need to be changed... Along with the right hand side foot rest and brake pedal (broken and bent). My exhaust (Scorpion Titanium) took a huge hit and it all needs to be changed... A couple of indicators were broken. And the left hand side passenger foot rest was completely bent inwards and needs to be fixed with a blow torch. Bummer... :(

I also need a new helmet and boots (right boot ripped at the toe - saved me a couple of toes me thinks!).

A little p**d off with my insurance renewal also. Indeed, had managed to get a Fully Comp. Insurance with Quinn-Direct for €1119 EUR but because of this accident they have to assume it was my fault so I now have to pay €1980 EUR... However they'll revert to the old quote once it has been established I was not at fault (fingers crossed).

So overall, gutted it happened but happy I'm ok and the bike can be fixed! Funny though, was thinking 5 seconds before the crash that I had been riding without incident for 361 days! Then I crashed... :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Hey man, jesus glad to hear your ok. Bit ****ty bout the insurance but least you can get that sorted once its proven that it wasn't your fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Good to hear you`re ok. Hope you threw yourself under the bike to protect it as much as you could!;)
    So what did the driver have to say for himself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

The Doktor wrote:

I bet when he put down his mobile and newspaper he said the ususal "sorry mate, I didn't see you" !!!

Boils my f*cking blood this sort of carry on from cage drivers. Glad to hear you're ok, thank god for proper gear.

You'll be back on the road before you know it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Thanks Rattlehead_ie! ;)
    The Doktor wrote:
    Good to hear you`re ok. Hope you threw yourself under the bike to protect it as much as you could!;)
    Tried my best! Things happened too fast though...
    The Doktor wrote:
    Nothing. He just wanted to give me his details and leave the scene of the accident. I told him he wasn't going anywhere until the Garda had come.

Was comical though when the Guard asked the driver which lane he was in and where he was going the guy answered "I was in the left hand side lane going straight", to which the Guard replied "Well you shouldn't have been in that lane then should you?". I nearly LOLed! But wasn't feeling like laughing to be honest...

KTRIC wrote:
    I bet when he put down his mobile and newspaper he said the ususal "sorry mate, I didn't see you" !!!
    Pretty much... He didn't look too bothered in fairness...
    KTRIC wrote:
    Boils my f*cking blood this sort of carry on from cage drivers. Glad to hear you're ok, thank god for proper gear.
    Thank God for proper gear indeed! I always wear my helmet and I have to say, even though I didn't need it to be proved to me, they do save lifes!
    KTRIC wrote:
    You'll be back on the road before you know it ;)
    Well I'm getting the bike back this evening as only the broken footrest/back brake pedal were stopping me from using it.
    But nothing got fixed apart from that... I'm waiting for confirmation of the liability before I go ahead with all the required repairs. Pain in the hoop really... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Hope you're ok and that he does the smart thing and claims liablity. Good luck with it.

... He didn't look too bothered in fairness...

I dont think I would have been able to hold meself back, if someone who just hit me had an attitude like that..... total arsehole...

Bloody careless car drivers. At least you were able to walk away from it. Good luck taking him to the cleaners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

The bike went under the van and was dragged for about 5-6 metres before the driver finally decided to use the brake!

You got a four leaf clover in your helmet? How did you manage to fall away and avoid the van which took your bike with it? You continued to take the left turn while you bike went the other way?

Glad to hear you okay also. I've been bad with wearing the trousers and boots I must admit. Need to get back in the habit of wearing them even on the shortest of runs. They aren't there just for waterproofing after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Hope you get everything sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Get as much out of his insurance as you possibly can. Twats like that need a lesson. Was the bike cop giving you any indication as to what he thought on liability?

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Hope you're ok and that he does the smart thing and claims liablity. Good luck with it.
    So do I Kenny 5! So do I... Fingers crossed!
    The Doktor wrote:
    I dont think I would have been able to hold meself back, if someone who just hit me had an attitude like that..... total arsehole...
    I don't know how I managed to remain calm and not slap the idiot around the head. I guess I was shacken by the accident and I had a massive headache after smashing the back of my head off the road. Probably helped!
    Bloody careless car drivers. At least you were able to walk away from it. Good luck taking him to the cleaners.
    Thanks nialler24! Indeed I was able to walk away from it and at the end of the day it's the main thing! I won't be taking him to the cleaners though... In fact, this accident will have cost me money seen as I had to rent a car for the week-end and this will proably not be refunded... I just want my bike to be as good as it was before the accident!
    Dorsanty wrote:
    You got a four leaf clover in your helmet? How did you manage to fall away and avoid the van which took your bike with it? You continued to take the left turn while you bike went the other way?

Glad to hear you okay also. I've been bad with wearing the trousers and boots I must admit. Need to get back in the habit of wearing them even on the shortest of runs. They aren't there just for waterproofing after all.
    I was indeed very lucky not to end up under the van myself Dorsanty! I don't know exactly how it happened but I fell forward and towards the right and the van and the bike kept going straight... Must have a gardian angel or soemthing!
    And do wear your gear at all times! I'm delighted I had the proper gear when I fell (even though I wasn't wearing my motorcycle trousers - the jean's did a great job though)! Could end up saving you a very painful trip to hospital!
    Hope you get everything sorted.
    Thank you Pigeon Reaper! :)

murphaph wrote:
    Get as much out of his insurance as you possibly can. Twats like that need a lesson. Was the bike cop giving you any indication as to what he thought on liability?
    Hi murphaph,

Well, I don't actually remember talking about liability with the bike cop... However, it was pretty obvious the van driver was at fault... I also have a witness who was following in a car and who saw the whole thing. He gave me his number and asked me to call him but I haven't been able to get in touch with him yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The idiot. But after an accident like that you're just glad to be ok. And you'll probably be ****ting yourself going past that junction for the rest of your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Don't take the liability thing for granted!
    Depending on who the other guy is insured with, the cop may get a call from some of the ex-garda whose job it is to talk to other gardai and ask them if they are really sure of what happened etc. all in the name of driving down the portion of blame allocated to their employers client.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

i guess you were lucky - hope you get your liability sorted! (make sure you contact your witness!)
    good thing you had your protective gear on!!

I've a 1&¼ Honda XR and i've nearly all the protective gear now Jacket, Pants, Helmet obviously, Off road knee boots with steel toe and reinforced ankle protection etc. a guy i know was sniggering at me the other day sorta saying like you'd think i had a huge bike or something. I replied - any fool can go out riding in his slippers and bathrobe!!!
    Still need to get some good gloves, thing is even going slow you can still have to be peeled off the tarmac.
    must be 30 years ago the last crash I had - hopefully i'll leave it at that!!

be safe!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

You all might have heard about my little "incident" a couple of months back when I went into the side a ditch in the mountains ?? Both myself and the missus were unharmed, I was wearing full protection and she was wearing her armoured jacket and helmet. I came out of it ok apart from a bruised sholder and she was fine because she landed on me.

There's a lot to be said for full protection and as everyone can see from this thread Steffano is a testement to that. I'd dread to think what would have happed had he been wearing a suit and shoes like some of the people I've seen around town recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

Sorry to hear about your off. Feckin drivers like that make me mad.
    Glad to hear you were able to walk away.
    Hope you get the bike sorted soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭bandit*baby

WOW i cant get over how lucky you were .....
    at least the damage to the bike was purely cosmetic ..... are you back on the road already?

the van driver sounds like a right muppet did he not realise how lucky he was not to have been pulling you along with the bike .... some people are just idiots

glad to hear your ok though and i hope you get your insurance sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Hey Steffano, sorry to hear about the crash, GWS.
    Re claim, the other guy won't suffer, regardless of how much you claim, well not really, loss of NCB is about as much as he'll see. And it's probably a company paying the insurance on the van.

Make sure you include receipts for doctors, hospitals, medicines in your claim. You might also be able to include loss of earnings if your job does not include sick pay. Obviously new gear for you and repairs, paint to bike need to be included.

<Edit>Taxis to/from appointments or work should also be put aside as IMHO you only incurred them as a result of not being able to ride bike.

• Advertisement

And dont forget you need a new lid since it whacked off the ground!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Sorry to hear about the accident.
    Make me think though I only wear a helmet and gloves on my scooter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

a_ominous wrote:
    <Edit>Taxis to/from appointments or work should also be put aside as IMHO you only incurred them as a result of not being able to ride bike.
    Yep. Get receipts for all expenses like this. The car hire should go onto the claim too. Get fully checked out medically for your own sake and don't settle up until you're sure there is no long term damage. See a physio asap if you have any aches and pains at all (And claim for the physio bill too)

I've been there and it's not pretty - luckily OP got off lighter than I did!

The really annoying thing is that these characters don't give a f**k, the insurance covers their butt and they face no real consequence whatsoever. If I had my way, I'd be almost tempted to BAN motor insurance and make all drivers fully financially liable for their actions.

Scrap the cap!

Hi everybody!

Firstly, sorry for being silent lately but I was sick all last week with a tonsillitis of death... I guess it's just non-stop lately with the bad sh!t!

Anyway, to keep you updated:

The witness of the accident got in touch with me and confirmed that the van driver was 100% at fault. He explained he was right behind me when the accident occured and he said if the van hadn't hit me it would have hit him as he was also turning left like myself... Anyway. I have all his details so if I need a witness, I have one! :)

And yesterday, Eagle Star Insurance rang me (I guess that's the company who was insuring the van driver) to ask me if I had obtained a quote yet. I told them I did and they are sending an assessor today to see my bike. Hopefully he will agree with the garage quote and this will get settled really soon.

It's weird that they rang me already though... I mean, I reported the accident, and the van driver probably did also but I still haven't sent any papers away yet, seen as I was sick as a dog all last week... I really wasn't expecting a call from them so soon!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

hey steffanno

have you contacted your insurance company yet? if you are with carole nash they will provide you with free legal aid to help sort & speed up your claim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

And yesterday, Eagle Star Insurance rang me (I guess that's the company who was insuring the van driver) to ask me if I had obtained a quote yet. I told them I did and they are sending an assessor today to see my bike. Hopefully he will agree with the garage quote and this will get settled really soon.

/QUOTE]

sorry to hear about your accident, glad you're ok.

It's standard procedure for an assessor to come out as soon as possible, insurance companies want to settle asap to avoid going to court. Make sure you claim for everything, i.e, loss of earnings when out of work, new lid, boots, jacket (if it's scuffed) repairs to bike AND depreciation of value in bike coz it was damaged. Go to the doctor for a check-up and include this receipt. retain the right to claim for personal injury should you suffer any pain in the future. You have 2 years to claim for personal injuries. If you're not satisfied with the offer from the insurance (dont accept the first one), say that you will refer the claim to the Personal Injuries Assessment Board. Look up www.piab.ie.

I would imagine that the driver has accepted liability, he'd have to, coz he was totally in the wrong.

Best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

theyu might class the bike as a write off.
    accident like that and they have to assume frame damage,
    frame replacing is more than the cost of a new bike...
    thats what they said to me anyway....

glad to hear your alright, i wasnt so lucky,
    my bike is gone to heaven along with any hopes of riding again for a long time.

main thing is talk to the solicotr, theres a whole heap of stuff to look after.
    and get your social welfare if your off sick.

madrab wrote:
    hey steffanno

have you contacted your insurance company yet? if you are with carole nash they will provide you with free legal aid to help sort & speed up your claim
    I have indeed contacted Carole Nash (I rang them 2 minutes after the accident in fact!) and thanks to the free legal aid, I have a solicitor from "Hussey Fraser Solicitors" looking after this claim for me.
    sorry to hear about your accident, glad you're ok.

It's standard procedure for an assessor to come out as soon as possible, insurance companies want to settle asap to avoid going to court. Make sure you claim for everything, i.e, loss of earnings when out of work, new lid, boots, jacket (if it's scuffed) repairs to bike AND depreciation of value in bike coz it was damaged. Go to the doctor for a check-up and include this receipt. retain the right to claim for personal injury should you suffer any pain in the future. You have 2 years to claim for personal injuries. If you're not satisfied with the offer from the insurance (dont accept the first one), say that you will refer the claim to the Personal Injuries Assessment Board. Look up www.piab.ie.

I would imagine that the driver has accepted liability, he'd have to, coz he was totally in the wrong.

Best of luck with it!
    Hi blackbird98,

I don't think I need to claim for loss of earnings seen as I only took 2 days off sick and I'm paid for sick days. Is this correct?
    Furthermore, I am claiming for new boots and a new helmet but not for a new jacket. It is very slightly scuffed and in my opinion asking for a new one would be pushing it...
    And how do I go about claiming for "depreciation of the bike"? It's something I was thinking of seeing as this accident will affect the resale value of my bike... Furthermore, I have a huge scuff on the swingarm which will not be "fixed" and also a few scratches and paint defects here and there which I will just have to live with... I think that's unfair! If I decide to sell my bike one day I will have to lower the price because of these defects!

As for personal injuries, I have received none. Well, I had a groin injury that took a few days to clear up (it really hurt to walk and move for a couple of days hence the sick days...) and I felt rough all over but apart from that nothing serious. I knew I'd be ok so I didn't go to A&E or anything...

subway wrote:
    they might class the bike as a write off.
    accident like that and they have to assume frame damage,
    frame replacing is more than the cost of a new bike...
    thats what they said to me anyway....

glad to hear your alright, i wasnt so lucky,
    my bike is gone to heaven along with any hopes of riding again for a long time.

main thing is talk to the solicotr, theres a whole heap of stuff to look after.
    and get your social welfare if your off sick.
    Hi Subway! ;)

I don't think they'll class the bike as a write off. The frame was twisted slightly as the rear passenger footrest got bent a little but otherwise the bike is sound. Furthermore, it will cost them a lot more to class it as a write-off than just paying for the repairs!

And indeed I was lucky! No injuries and the bike is repairable! How's your arm anyway? Do you think you'll be making a 100% recovery at some stage? Will you be able to afford a brand new GSX-R 1000 when the claim is settled? :D

• Advertisement

if the frame is damaged its a write off, thats what the assessor told me.
    my frame was scuffed slightly at the headstock.

arm is blloxed, im up to 25% movement as of this mornign - good stuff physio lady.
    but my arm gets sore after about 10 seconds of any kind of excersie, then it starts shaking and i cant use it for a while.

i dont know whatll happen when the claim is resolved.
    for now they guy is claiming i was at fault becuase i was drivng on the wrong side of the road (its called overtaking) so it will be years and years before we get anyhwere.
    hopefully ill get something nice out of it, and more importantly i hope i can ride again :)

subway wrote:
    if the frame is damaged its a write off, thats what the assessor told me.
    my frame was scuffed slightly at the headstock.

arm is blloxed, im up to 25% movement as of this mornign - good stuff physio lady.
    but my arm gets sore after about 10 seconds of any kind of excersie, then it starts shaking and i cant use it for a while.

i dont know whatll happen when the claim is resolved.
    for now they guy is claiming i was at fault becuase i was drivng on the wrong side of the road (its called overtaking) so it will be years and years before we get anyhwere.
    hopefully ill get something nice out of it, and more importantly i hope i can ride again :)
    Jaysus... That sounds nasty... 25% movement only? And the shaking after 10 seconds of excercise doesn't sound good at all... :(

I can't believe "Mr. U-Turn" is trying to hold you responsible for this accident! That really is unbelievable! I really hope you win this case and get a nice settlement out of it as it really has affected your quality of life and brought you a lot of pain... And I hope you make a full recovery also! My poor Subway... :(

We should go for drinks so I can cheer you up!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

I don't think they'll class the bike as a write off. The frame was twisted slightly as the rear passenger footrest got bent a little but otherwise the bike is sound. Furthermore, it will cost them a lot more to class it as a write-off than just paying for the repairs!

You might be surprised - I was cleaned out by a taxi driver in January. Looked like there was no major damage to the bike - It was mostly cosmetic (indicators, handlebars, levers, mirrors, headlight and speedo and a bit of a dent in the tank) and the engine was grand and she went in a straight line no problem.

Its the law of small numbers though - lots of smaller costs add up to a bigger overall cost. Quinn Direct (the other guys insurance company) figured it would be cheaper for them to give me the cost of the bike (which was more than the repair value) and sell it for scrap.

I don't think I need to claim for loss of earnings seen as I only took 2 days off sick and I'm paid for sick days. Is this correct?
    Furthermore, I am claiming for new boots and a new helmet but not for a new jacket. It is very slightly scuffed and in my opinion asking for a new one would be pushing it...
    And how do I go about claiming for "depreciation of the bike"? It's something I was thinking of seeing as this accident will affect the resale value of my bike... Furthermore, I have a huge scuff on the swingarm which will not be "fixed" and also a few scratches and paint defects here and there which I will just have to live with... I think that's unfair! If I decide to sell my bike one day I will have to lower the price because of these defects!

As for personal injuries, I have received none. Well, I had a groin injury that took a few days to clear up (it really hurt to walk and move for a couple of days hence the sick days...) and I felt rough all over but apart from that nothing serious. I knew I'd be ok so I didn't go to A&E or anything...

No loss of earnings so. I would claim for a new jacket and also damage to swingarm and paint defects etc. You are entitled to have your bike restored to pre-accident condition. Groin injury is classed as pain and suffering, while it mightn't be worth claiming for, make sure you advise them of it and use it to your advantage in getting the best settlement. Depreciation is a hard one to claim for, but again, if your repaired bike is worth less because of the damage, you are entitled to be compensated for that

stipey wrote:
    You might be surprised - I was cleaned out by a taxi driver in January. Looked like there was no major damage to the bike - It was mostly cosmetic (indicators, handlebars, levers, mirrors, headlight and speedo and a bit of a dent in the tank) and the engine was grand and she went in a straight line no problem.

Its the law of small numbers though - lots of smaller costs add up to a bigger overall cost. Quinn Direct (the other guys insurance company) figured it would be cheaper for them to give me the cost of the bike (which was more than the repair value) and sell it for scrap.
    Well I'm riding the bike since the 2nd of July and although there are a few things to fix on it (mainly the exhaust which is by far the most expensive item on the estimate) IMO it would be stupid to class the bike as a write-off.

Question: What would be the "market value" for a 2002 Suzuki Bandit in very good condition and with low mileage (27,000km on the clock)?

No loss of earnings so. I would claim for a new jacket and also damage to swingarm and paint defects etc. You are entitled to have your bike restored to pre-accident condition. Groin injury is classed as pain and suffering, while it mightn't be worth claiming for, make sure you advise them of it and use it to your advantage in getting the best settlement. Depreciation is a hard one to claim for, but again, if your repaired bike is worth less because of the damage, you are entitled to be compensated for that
    Thanks for the info blackbird98. I will speak with the solicitor to see what can be done...

I just want my bike to be repaired and as good as before the accident. I really hope they don't write it off!!! :(

• Advertisement

T
    I just want my bike to be repaired and as good as before the accident. I really hope they don't write it off!!! :(

That will depend on the cost of repair vs the pre-accident value. If they do write it off, you can still agree a settlement and also agree to buy the bike at scrap value. This would enable you to restore it.

That will depend on the cost of repair vs the pre-accident value. If they do write it off, you can still agree a settlement and also agree to buy the bike at scrap value. This would enable you to restore it.
    We shall soon find out... The insurance assessor should be having a look at my bike today... I will all keep you updated of course!

if theres no frame or engine damage then youll get the costs.
    if theres frame damage the assessor will add up the cost of a new frame from suzuki plus the cost of moving every little bit of your old bike onto the new frame.
    onto that he will add the amount you are likely to claim for rented cars etc while your bike is off the road.

if thats more than the valuje they put on your bike then thats all she wrote.
    if they do write off your bike make sure to get receipts for after market kit such as alarms etc as none of these are incljuded in the standard valuation andd can be claimed back.

good luck with it tho, i hope they dont take it off you,
    you could use the moeny to get a nice custom paint job like blue ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I'd agree 100% with everything blackbird98 has posted in this thread. Claim for everything, no matter how small.

And make sure you get checked out medically. You can even claim for the cost of the checkup. There are injuries that don't necessarily show up straight away. After I hit a huge oil spill, I came off the bike and it crushed my right leg. It was sore, but I thought it was ok. Over the next few months I noticed that I couldn't walk/run for more than a few minutes before it felt like a hot 2 foot long needle was being stuck down my leg from the hip. Turns out I had done some damage to a nerve in the leg. It'll never heal fully, though it's not as bad anymore.

Also check the street were the accident happened. Are the street signs clear and unobstructed? Were the road markings ok or faded?...etc. The other driver might claim these were the cause of the accident and it would really complicate matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

yeah my africa twin was a write-off as well, & they offered me scrappage (only 1000!) on it but i decide to keep as a project, & soon it will be alive again! (rebuild out of second hand parts from english bike breakers)

but yeah definately dont take the first offer, my back is still bothering me after my accident in january

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sorry to hear about the 'off' Steffano.. Good luck with the recovery of bike, gear and insurance premium.. (and tonsillitis - it don't rain, but it pours..).

Thank you Krusty_Clown! Tonsillitis is now gone and I'm on holidays all next week (going abroad) so I hope my luck is going to start changing! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭digweed

Sorry to hear about your off, the main thing is that you're ok. WRT the frame thing, just be 100% certain that its right. A neighbour of mine was killed off a bike with a dodgy frame a few years back. The bike had been previously crashed before and was pulling slightly to the left, he borrowed it off the owner 'for a spin'. owner never told him about the pull on it, he went round a left hand bend and inexperience and the pull put him onto the kerb, flipping the bike and he hit the only lamp post near him, 6 inches further on and he'd be alive today.

Not trying to scare you, or indeed saying that you are inexperienced, but I'd hate to see it happen again. So please be certain of the frame.

D.

Hi digweed,

Firstly, thank you for your concern. I am happy to announce that my frame has sustained no damage during the accident. My bike "feels" exacty the same as it did before the accident and it doesn't pull to one side or anything (would have scrapped it otherwise - not taking that kind of risk).

And I'm sorry to hear what happened to yout neighbour... That's a terrible story. :(

UPDATE:

The insurance assessor came to see the bike yesterday afternoon. I gave him a copy of the estimate and he had a good look at the bike and even took a few pictures.

However, he did not make any comments whatsoever. He just told me I would get a call from the insurance company...
    Does this mean it's not looking good? I guess I'll find out in the next couple of days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'd imagine they're instructed not to make any comments at all...
    Kind of like the insurance company instructs you to do after you've been involved in an accident..

UPDATE:

The insurance assessor came to see the bike yesterday afternoon. I gave him a copy of the estimate and he had a good look at the bike and even took a few pictures.

However, he did not make any comments whatsoever. He just told me I would get a call from the insurance company...
    Does this mean it's not looking good? I guess I'll find out in the next couple of days...

The assessors are usually not employees of the insurance company, so they will not comment on the quote or make you an offer. Usually they report back to the insurance company and await instructions from them. If the assessor was from a firm of loss adjusters, then he will contact you to make an offer.

Ok, so the fact that he said nothing to me is neither good or bad then... I guess I just have to wait for the insurance company to get in contact with me!

I shall keep you all updated...

the assessor that viewed my bike called me after hed seen it to give me his verdict.

subway wrote:
    the assessor that viewed my bike called me after he'd seen it to give me his verdict.
    Well, this one told me I'd get a call from the insurance company... Hopefully they'll call tomorrow...

• Advertisement
Advertisement