Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vw Polo

Options
  • 02-07-2007 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Wondering if ye could give me a bit of advise. About to start driving soon and have been approached by a family member who is selling there polo in Jan-once they get a 08. Anyway its a 00 1ltr. Clean car, well kept-and i mean WELL looked after-and they've had it since new. Thing is there is 90,000 miles on it. They're looking for €2000. Good deal??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Wondering if ye could give me a bit of advise. About to start driving soon and have been approached by a family member who is selling there polo in Jan-once they get a 08. Anyway its a 00 1ltr. Clean car, well kept-and i mean WELL looked after-and they've had it since new. Thing is there is 90,000 miles on it. They're looking for €2000. Good deal??

To be honest 90k miles on a 7 year old car is not terribly big mileage, just above average. The most important thing here is how the car was driven and serviced. A big bonus here is that the car only had 1 owner and you know that owner so you are the position of knowing the history of the car from day one.

Regarding price, €2k is not too bad considering some of the silly prices some people seem to look for Polos. No harm in trying to get a few more quid off it though, just to sweeten the deal. If the car was looked after well, you could have yourself a very nice first car. Very unlikely too that a family member would sell you a lemon.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 drifter32

I would say so. It's always better buying from a family member as you know the car's history for sure. As long as it's been regularly serviced the big mileage shouldn't be an issue. Also, you can say 'in the same family from new' whenever you go to sell it on as well, so that's an added plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

By the time you'll get it, the Polo will be 8 years old with 100+k miles on it. That on it's own would not make it a great deal for €2k. Having said that, it's from a family member and it's been looked after since new. That's much more important than age and mileage in my book. Go for it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Banner_girl

Thanks for yer replies...sure have no choice but to wait anyway....then check the bank balance after christmas ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

At 00 I would think this is probably the newer type.

My son recently bought a 01 polo for €4700 (55K Klms). Good car, very reliable.

I think €2K is a pretty good price for a 00.

There are 73 00 polo's on Carzone.ie, ranging from €3750 to €6900.

About 8 have 80-100K and they are averaging €4500 each.

Not knowing what your relatives are like :D I'd think it's usually better to buy from a relative as you kow hte history and they are unlikely to hide problems.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Banner_girl

Thanks Fr Dougal-that really puts things in perspective! Best start saving! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I've been a big Polo enthusiast since we had one of the older type and ran it into the ground, and it didn't cost us any more than a regular service and tyres. 1 ltr, quite nippy, nice to drive. Bought a new one on the strength of it, and while its reliable its a much heavier body with the same 1 ltr (just under in fact) engine and its not a bit nippy. Fortunately I don't have to do long journeys in it, but if you are stuck behind something overtaking is a bit dodgy.

Advertisement