Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O2 Mobile Broadband

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

As a matter of interest, are they actually selling it?
    My local shop has now told me it will be Monday and then another employee told me this afternoon it will be later in July and then I rang O2 customer care and they told me Monday also and that the O2 Experience store just have it on demo but are not actually selling it yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Probably will be Monday, maybe Monday means "later in July" to the other guy:)

So is all that about pricing above confirmed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

the o2 shop on grafton street have something on this on their window with a picture of a wireless o2 modem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

johnmryan wrote:
    the o2 shop on grafton street have something on this on their window with a picture of a wireless o2 modem

That's where I went yesterday to get the details above. It's the O2 Experience shop, not the one at the top of Grafton Street, near St. Stephen's Green.

I was just on to 1747 there.

So this is actually for sale at the moment, it's just not launched yet, but afaik, you can actually order and use it right now.

Anyway, I was trying to find out what is best for me. I'm on the SpeakEasy flat rate of 20c per min any time.

For me to avail of the broadband at €30 a month and €69 for the modem, I'll need to sign up to bill pay. I spend about €70 per month on credit now so if I was to go with easylife 150 or whatever it's called I'd get:

150 free minutes/100 free texts for €35 a month. At the moment this costs me €35 on speakeasy too (5c text bundle), but after the 150 minutes, it will cost me 30c a minute on bill pay as opposed to 20c on speakeasy. However for the first 6 months, you get double minutes. So say 25% extra minutes for the year it'll work out as. So this will be pretty much €35 a month for 225 minutes and 100 text messages. With speak easy flat rate, this would cost €50. Over 12 months, that's a saving of €180, as well as the saving of €260 if I was to buy the BB service without being on billpay (which I wouldn't because it's just too expensive at 40 a month).

Or else I have the option of going with three;)

Actually just having a look on the o2 site, I can't see the deal she was talking about:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster

cormie wrote:
    I was just on to 1747 there.

So this is actually for sale at the moment, it's just not launched yet, but afaik, you can actually order and use it right now.

Anyway, I was trying to find out what is best for me. I'm on the SpeakEasy flat rate of 20c per min any time.

For me to avail of the broadband at €30 a month and €69 for the modem, I'll need to sign up to bill pay. I spend about €70 per month on credit now so if I was to go with easylife 150 or whatever it's called I'd get:

150 free minutes/100 free texts for €35 a month. At the moment this costs me €35 on speakeasy too (5c text bundle), but after the 150 minutes, it will cost me 30c a minute on bill pay as opposed to 20c on speakeasy. However for the first 6 months, you get double minutes. So say 25% extra minutes for the year it'll work out as. So this will be pretty much €35 a month for 225 minutes and 100 text messages. With speak easy flat rate, this would cost €50. Over 12 months, that's a saving of €180, as well as the saving of €260 if I was to buy the BB service without being on billpay (which I wouldn't because it's just too expensive at 40 a month).

Or else I have the option of going with three;)

Actually just having a look on the o2 site, I can't see the deal she was talking about:confused:

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be any info at all on the website about all this yet .... even though it says on the sign on the O2 Experience store to check www.o2.ie for details !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

I have an O2 business rep calling in on Monday afternoon with the card to get set up for broadband.

I'm with O2 on a voice tariff so it's €69 for the card and €30 a month.

They've told me my (rural) area is covered so I'm hoping I won't need my €27/month 56k dialup any more.

Fingers crossed for Monday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I called into an O2 shop today to see if they have any combined voice \ data tariffs. I was told they don't and the data charges if you use a 3G phone are the same as they currently are i.e. 10 euro for 10MB or 25 for 25 MB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Carphone Warehouse are selling this as of two days ago, at the prices already discussed.

• Advertisement

€8 a MB when roaming is crazy I think:( Is roaming definitely free with three?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

cormie wrote:
    €8 a MB when roaming is crazy I think:( Is roaming definitely free with three?

Yes. However, 3 only have networks in 9 countries.

True, but would any of us actually use the service if it meant dishing out 8 euro for every MB? I'd much rather just go to a net cafe or wifi access point:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

johnmryan wrote:
    Interesting! This means that you can get the 10GB as an add-on to Speak Easy for €40 per month?

flodis79 wrote:
    Interesting! This means that you can get the 10GB as an add-on to Speak Easy for €40 per month?
    No. It says:
    * Available to New and Existing Customers
    * Subject to Broadband Connection on 12 month Contract
    * A USB modem purchase is required to avail of half price offer

ciaranfo wrote:
    No. It says:

Broadband Connection with other Pay monthly plans, Speak easy & Broadband only customers
    Price Plan Monthly Subscription Promotional Half price for 3 months offer Data Usage Limit USB Modem Once Off Charge
    Broadband on the Move €40 €20 10GB €89

You just posted the same as me! - * Subject to Broadband Connection on 12 month Contract

ciaranfo wrote:
    You just posted the same as me! - * Subject to Broadband Connection on 12 month Contract

Yes, but why do they mention Speak Easy in the text then?

I'd guess from reading the website that they're trying to cover everyone so that people are aware that they can get the broadband?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

you can get broadband on a speakeasy tariff

krudler wrote:
    you can get broadband on a speakeasy tariff
    Please explain! :)

It just means you don't need to sign up to a phone contract, if you have any oul o2 speakeasy sim, you can avail of their bb service by entering a 12 month contract for BB only:)

So this o2 BB is looking pretty bad compared to Three's, in my opinion anyway, seems the only thing that's better is their customer service? What other reasons are there for going with o2 over three?

Also, it says the 10GB is for down and up loads. Is this the same with three?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

culabula wrote:
    As I posted some time ago, despite 3's misleading wording on their website, the 10gig tariff at 20€ a month WILL give you access to both 3G and 3,5G. There is no penalty save that of slower speeds and you can use it on the non-HSDPA 3 UK network (as well as all 3's sister nets). If you use up the 10GB, you get charged 5c per mb. You cannot use it on any other net other than 3's worldwide. You cannot make voice MT/MO calls, you cannot send SMS but you can receive them.

culabula is voip allowed with the three usb modem.
    i've used skype a couple of times with it. will this incur extra costs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

cormie wrote:
    So this o2 BB is looking pretty bad compared to Three's, in my opinion anyway, seems the only thing that's better is their customer service? What other reasons are there for going with o2 over three?

My thoughts exactly. Is Three's customer service the only reason you would avoid them?

Looks like the decision is whether you are willing to pay extra for better customer service with O2 since they are not competing on price.

In fairness to O2, any dealings I have had with them have been excellent, I have never got off the phone cursing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

mkennedy wrote:
    culabula is voip allowed with the three usb modem.
    i've used skype a couple of times with it. will this incur extra costs?

Perfectly allowed: works a charm. No extra costs whatsoever.
    In my first month of the new tariff I didn't even manage to use up 1GB, many Skype calls included.

When used in a phone I can use fring, Skype and Windows Live. No penalties, no problems. Best bargain in town.

tom dunne wrote:
    My thoughts exactly. Is Three's customer service the only reason you would avoid them?

Looks like the decision is whether you are willing to pay extra for better customer service with O2 since they are not competing on price.

In fairness to O2, any dealings I have had with them have been excellent, I have never got off the phone cursing them.

Yeah, it seems strange that they didn't try to match 3 on the price - the reduced price for the first few months doesn't count in my books.

Does beg the question, is it worth paying the extra 10 a month for the undoubtedly far superior customer service of O2.......

The other thing, apart from price, in 3's favour seems to be coverage.... Even in parts of Dublin (e.g. Blackrock, Sandymount ) which is supposedly all covered for HSDPA, my O2 signal is not 3G

culabula wrote:

When used in a phone I can use fring, Skype and Windows Live. No penalties, no problems. Best bargain in town.

As a matter of interest, are you using the sim card from the USB modem in the phone here to do this?

caster wrote:
    Yeah, it seems strange that they didn't try to match 3 on the price - the reduced price for the first few months doesn't count in my books.

Does beg the question, is it worth paying the extra 10 a month for the undoubtedly far superior customer service of O2.......

The other thing, apart from price, in 3's favour seems to be coverage.... Even in parts of Dublin (e.g. Blackrock, Sandymount ) which is supposedly all covered for HSDPA, my O2 signal is not 3G

Plus if roaming is free with 3, as opposed to about €10 per mb with o2. At that price I wouldn't even consider roaming with o2 an option.

Is three 10gb download only or upload and download does anyone know?

So basically, with three, you'll be on to a winner unless you have a problem with the hardware or service etc. I'd say three will sort their service before o2 drop their price seeing as though it's JUST released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

cormie wrote:
    Plus if roaming is free with 3, as opposed to about €10 per mb with o2. At that price I wouldn't even consider roaming with o2 an option.

Data roaming is great with 3 if you are heading to Belfast or going to Italy on your holidays (which is of course the best place to vacation). But if you go to France or Spain which don't have 3 networks the 3 website suggests that calls are very much more expensive than O2 and there is no data roaming or even MMS. Now EU harmonisation measures might cut the call cost but there could be an argument that ripoff data roaming is better than none at all.

Advertisement