Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O2 Mobile Broadband

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

Vodafone arent even competing anymore with their 5gb slower speed offer for €40 per month.

The Vodafone tariff has dropped to €29.99 (€14.99 for first 3 months) USB modem is still €59, same 5GB cap as on the previous tariff. Advertising will start in the the next few days... I'd imagine they were waiting to see what O2 were going to offer and then just match it.

Vodafone HSDPA is going live within 2 weeks (possibly sooner) so all networks will be offering the same 3.6mbps and then the race is on to upgrade to 7.2mbps before xmas.

Personally I'm happy enough with my landline but just wanted to update the thread :) Hopefully the mobile price war will continue to reduce the cost and maybe the landline providers will be forced to follow suit....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

culabula wrote:
    APN is the access point: 3ireland.ie
    To Check with Voda IRL you need to input hs.vodafone.ie
    Voda Spain: airtelnet.es
    O2 Ireland: alorralorrapatience.o2.ie

:) Is that really the correct o2 IE APN?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

flodis79 wrote:
    :) Is that really the correct o2 IE APN?

Of course it is! Could you ever doubt me?

culabula wrote:
    Of course it is! Could you ever doubt me?
    Lol... What about user-id and password when putting the sim card in a phone?

flodis79 wrote:
    Lol... What about user-id and password when putting the sim card in a phone?

Thought everyone knew that! "legs" and "11".

• Advertisement

culabula wrote:
    Thought everyone knew that! "legs" and "11".
    Goodness! Excessive ranting on boards.ie leads you to a high position in the o2 think-tank!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Just got the three modem:) first impressions are good anyway, very little packaging so good for the environment. I'm yet to connect it though:)

I was yapping away to the guy in carphone warehouse and he forgot to charge me and I forgot to pay:eek:

He had to run after me up the street! lol.

Hmm.. it's pretty slow, I've been waiting about 5 minutes for a 4 minute youtube video to load and it's only loaded about a minute of the song...

Was there some trick of wiping the sim card with some special cloth to speed it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Well so much for being an O2 customer and waiting to see their offering

Looks like I will be getting it from 3 after all
    O2 seem to have got the pricing all wrong and there is no incentive for existing customers to sign up. In acual fact, they force me to re-sign a contract again......

"Existing customers with less than 12 months remaining in their pay monthly (voice) contract must extend their voice contract by a further 12 months.

Existing 18 month contract customers in month five onwards of their pay monthly (voice) contract must extend their existing contract by a further 12 months "

How disappointing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

cormie wrote:
    Was there some trick of wiping the sim card with some special cloth to speed it up?

A joke I hope?

• Advertisement

whisht wrote:
    Well so much for being an O2 customer and waiting to see their offering

Looks like I will be getting it from 3 after all
    O2 seem to have got the pricing all wrong and there is no incentive for existing customers to sign up. In acual fact, they force me to re-sign a contract again......

"Existing customers with less than 12 months remaining in their pay monthly (voice) contract must extend their voice contract by a further 12 months.

Existing 18 month contract customers in month five onwards of their pay monthly (voice) contract must extend their existing contract by a further 12 months "

How disappointing :(

Appears to be not exactly unlike ****e.

whisht wrote:
    A joke I hope?

Haven't you seen those special sim card speeder-upper cloths on sale everywhere?

culabula wrote:
    Haven't you seen those special sim card speeder-upper cloths on sale everywhere?

hehe, just going by what I heard. Some other user posted about it and it boosted their signal a lot. It was a trick that used to be done with sky receivers too or something with the card?

For some reason my Google now goes to .co.uk since I've been using the 3 BB:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

culabula wrote:
    I am currently in Spain and of course you're right, I can't use any of my 3 SIMs as I would like. But you can buy a Vodafone Espana PAYG SIM and easily stick a data bundle on it in seconds. Working fine in my N95...

culabula you never cease to amaze me with your tireless quest to get the best mobile/broadband deal going :)
    you seem to have gotten it down to a fine art.
    fair play.

nearly makes me feel sorry for the poor operator.. nearly.

I just wonder though about stuff like
    1) using your three usb sim in your handset
    2) using your three handset as a modem and
    3)using a spanish payg sim in your handset as a modem abroad.

are you confident you're never going to have a huge bill doing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

cormie wrote:
    hehe, just going by what I heard. Some other user posted about it and it boosted their signal a lot. It was a trick that used to be done with sky receivers too or something with the card?

Ah yes, the old "it's true because I read it on the internet". If you even think of the physics of it for a second, how can a clean SIM card affect radio reception?
    cormie wrote:
    For some reason my Google now goes to .co.uk since I've been using the 3 BB:confused:

Probably because Three route your data through the UK.

cormie wrote:

I once spent 700IEP on what I call an on/off switch for my turntable so who am I to chide? :-)

mkennedy wrote:
    culabula you never cease to amaze me with your tireless quest to get the best mobile/broadband deal going :)
    you seem to have gotten it down to a fine art.
    fair play.

nearly makes me feel sorry for the poor operator.. nearly.

I just wonder though about stuff like
    1) using your three usb sim in your handset
    2) using your three handset as a modem and
    3)using a spanish payg sim in your handset as a modem abroad.

are you confident you're never going to have a huge bill doing this.

Why thank you!

You should have seen me in the 90s when I was the original King of Free SMS and fSMSCs...I wrote the book. Once Pannon Hungary charged me for a rake of SMS sent via their MC in 1995 -the shower! -and I went down to Eircell house and had it all refunded. V naughty. I was the first in Ireland to send SMS-MO after I convinced them (Eircell)to turn it on for me because I had a Psion 3MX, a cable and a 2110i plus no less than 3 SMS apps for the Psion. 20 months of officially-sanctioned free SMS! I used to get SIX HUNDRED pages a month of a bill from Vodafone UK of absolutely *nothing* as I ravaged the world's SMScs. To this day i can't stand paying for SMS, have no bundles -it's a legacy thing :-)

Anyway, enough of this idle boasting:

Using the 3 SIM in an handset is absolutely fine
    Using my unlocked N95 as a modem is absolutely fine with any data-enabled SIM
    Using my Spanish PAYG SIM for data having converted the credit to a data "Bono" is perfectly above board.

As a caution -have 2 batteries for your Mac, 2 for your N95 and keep the bottle and the glass well removed from your computing!

Advertisement