Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Led Zepplin - Writers' credits discussed on Howard Stern

• 02-07-2007 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭

Don't listen to Howard Stern, don't listen to much Zepplin anymore, and I have no idea if this is very old news... But for those interested check this out:

http://www.dogmaticblog.com/mp3/led_zep.mp3

It's off this blog:

http://www.dogmaticblog.com/

The accusation is that they ripped off songs. I didn't know much about this at all. Comments??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

This news is nearly 40 years old. It's mostly the first album, but stuff like Black Mountain Side and Stairway have some parts. It's not a big deal and they paid off Willie Dixon.

The blog is balls.
    A sad day in Rock history folks.

Everyone and their grannies knew about this years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Wha? A blues band ripping off another blues band? Surely some mistake :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭dbs_sailor

hhmmm. i listened to the whole thing and some of it was unconvincing!!

seems every couple of years or so some radio show get a case together for plagarism. remember all those the chili peppers and that tom petty song?

but they said the zepplin lads were credited as author's on the original album... is that true??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

They had to give credit on Led Zepp 1 on 'Babe i'm gonna Leave You' to the original songwriter a good few years after the album was originally released.

There's loads of them though. 'Travelling Riverside Blues'..loads of bits on 'How Many More Times' where Plant throws in bits of old blues numbers.

It has happened with a lot of bands. I don't really feel it's the issue with Zeppelin though. It's more how they made the songs their own to be honest. Blues songs had never had such powerful/well recorded huge drum sound behind them before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I've heard of this before. I remember a line in one of the Simpsons episodes where homer sees Jimmy Page on the street in London and says "There's Big Ben; there's Piccadilly Circus; there's Jimmy Page - the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the Earth" :D

Just look at the Led zeppelin Wikipedia page, lots of info there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

There's nothing wrong with taking old blues songs and making them their own, but claiming to have written them is pretty lame.

Only zeppelin cd I have is the greatest hits where the writing credit is given to the original writers, all my proper zeppelin albums are just on mp3 so there's no credits on them. I never knew they originally claimed the credit for the songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Yeah they claimed credit for a FEW songs. It's not like they were ripping off for their entire albums! Yes, it wasn't right, but in some cases it may have been only a lyric thrown in (such as in 'How Many More Times') They always added something to the songs.

I think it's pretty common knowledge from Led Zeppelin fans that they have used old standards. (Like many bands - Hendrix, Stones, Cream etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats where the 'original arrangement by' credit comes from!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 CrazyTrain

What a load of Boll*x. Has Howard Stern nothing better to do on the Radio but get a bunch of gobsh*tes who obviously know F*ck all about Zeppelin, especially that thick b*tch who keeps butting in, and drag up old news. If they knew what they were talking about they would have mentioned the most blatened rip-off, Whole Lotta Love which is basically The Small Faces version of "You Need Love"!
    Stern - Your a marked man...! You don't Dis Zeppelin and get away with it!!!

Advertisement