Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSLR photography

Options
  • 02-07-2007 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    do any of you have experience using an slr for bright and not so bright objects?
    I have a Nikon D80, wife has Sony alpha. My scope (orion optics 8" spx type tube) has a 2" focuser. I am wondering:
    1. should I use a 2" T adaptor?
    2. Can I, or should I use a focal reducer for extended objects??

what are either of these slr's like for astro photography?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

I don't know BUT.. if you go to www.irishastronomy.org (you've probably already seen it!), and click 'bulliten boards', there is a forum specifically for Astrophotography where you will probably find the advice you're looking for. Not to say you won't find it here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Grayarea

Hi folks,
    do any of you have experience using an slr for bright and not so bright objects?
    I have a Nikon D80, wife has Sony alpha. My scope (orion optics 8" spx type tube) has a 2" focuser. I am wondering:
    1. should I use a 2" T adaptor?
    2. Can I, or should I use a focal reducer for extended objects??

what are either of these slr's like for astro photography?

Hi Tea Drinker,

You will find the limiting factor will probably be how big the periodic error of the mount is.

A 2" T adapter is probably the best it will give the least vignetting. But just to warn you you may have very noticable coma unless the scope is setup for astrophotography (normal secondary mirrors are too small for astrophotography where you require a fully illuminated field) and you would need a coma corrector normally.

Focal reducers usually introduce unacceptable vignetting. For extended objects you can use your camera piggybacked on your mount (with a zoom lens). This is also probably the easiest area in astrophotography to start as mount error (periodic error) will have the leasst effect.

As well as IFAS you may want to look at Uk Astro Imaging (http://ukastroimaging.co.uk).

Later,

Advertisement