Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss wants me to sort out this issue but is this possible?

Options
  • 02-07-2007 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Sorry for the uninformative title. Anyways to the point.

We have two new remote stores and we are having problems getting our telecommunications setup to work. The two stores are setup the same way.

An 837 Cisco DSL box with ISDN failover. A sonicwall TZ150 firewall and VPN appliance.

Apparently there is only one phone line coming in and is connected to both boxes. (don't ask me how...I'm just assuming a splitter). OK so the two devices have seperate external ip addresses coming through the one DSL line. One of the public ips work and the other gives errors. Also, apparently the two devices will communicate over their external interfaces when their brought into action.

He wants me to troubleshoot this problem of the second IP not working with the telecomms provider. The person that originally created this setup and was working on it is now on holidays and the boss does not really know a hell of alot about it either. I need to ask him some more questions tomorrow to get another feel but I really don't know what the logic is behind this setup and I didn't know you could sens two ips down one line.

Anybody able to help here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

While a DSL line can have two or more IP addresses, i cannot see the reason for it in your setup.
    I am also unsure why the two appliances would have seperate external IP addresses.

I would have thought, traffic hits the Cisco first but that this was in bridge mode and goes straight to the sonicwall. That way the only IP would be on the sonicwall.

Is there anything else connected to the Cisco. Could traffic on the other IP be supposed to go to another device>

Sorry, not much help. Just questions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

You'll need to be more specific when you say
    "One of the public ips work and the other gives errors."

What are you expecting to see on each? What service are you trying on each ip? www, ping, ssh, VPN?

The phone line is not connected to both boxes.
    If you look at the setup, the phone line is connected to the Cisco's RJ11 ADSL port.

The Ethernet port of the Cisco then connects to the Sonicwall's WAN/ internet port. It has to as the sonicwall does not have a DSL modem.

So it's the Cisco routers job to forward packets to the Sonicwall behind. As the Cisco has been assigned an external IP of it's own, then it's not surprising that requests to that IP will act differently to those addressed to the sonicwall.

Advertisement