Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are you from in d Deise?

Options
  • 02-07-2007 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,471 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its very quiet on this forum!! Baby4 you didn't give your own area. Mine's Tramore - nice place to live, don't go 'downaround' but the 'top of the town' is a good area to live in. Love the coastline around here - Newtown, Annestown, along to Stradbally. Could wish there was a bit more facilities in Tramore - shopping etc, but I think it will come.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

In Tramore myself..

looksee: Well, its planned a Dunnes Stores, Lidl/Alidi, and a Tesco...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I used to live in Tramore before it became "commuterville", twas very quiet outside the summer season and the road to Newtown cove was still rural back then! Place has gone to hell! :p

I live in (older bit of) Cherrymount which has no redeeming features being a collection of boxes built by Frisby Construction. 'nuff said I think.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I'm a Tramore head myself, its a grand place outside of the summer months. I agree that we do need more shops. Dunnes might be good, same for Tesco, but Lidl/Aldi would be a waste.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Lidl/Alid has proven a sucess everywhere it goes. Most of the time, its snobbery ignorant fools who refuse to go there - simply because its "cheap".

You can buy stuff in there, that you can get elsewhere. Advantage? Its cheaper.

Seriously, some people wont go there and buy the SAME product that they can get elsewhere - which ends up costing them more. Its just pathetic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

BallyMun in the sun for me too - Tramore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Good
    Live in Butlerstown.
    Love to live in the country side.
    About 5 to 6 miles out from the city centre so not far to do some shopping, going out, Or about 4miles away from Tesco on the by-pass.

Bad
    I live so near to Waterford City but yet cant get Broadband or wireless where i live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

Sully wrote:
    Lidl/Alid has proven a sucess everywhere it goes. Most of the time, its snobbery ignorant fools who refuse to go there - simply because its "cheap".

You can buy stuff in there, that you can get elsewhere. Advantage? Its cheaper.

Seriously, some people wont go there and buy the SAME product that they can get elsewhere - which ends up costing them more. Its just pathetic!

Actually, Sully, I said it would be a waste because Tramore already has a SuperValu, a Tesco on the way and a Dunnes Stores in the works. Aldi or Lidl would just be one supermarket too much for the population, if people want Lidl products, it's 15 mins in the road. Thats why I think it would be a waste in Tramore. I'm not being snobby or elitist, I leave that to the experts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Baby4, no traffic? Have they moved the ferry?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

from tramore myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

Dungarvan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Tramore, again great place summer or winter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

BadCharlie wrote:
    Good
    Live in Butlerstown.
    Love to live in the country side.
    About 5 to 6 miles out from the city centre so not far to do some shopping, going out, Or about 4miles away from Tesco on the by-pass.

Bad
    I live so near to Waterford City but yet cant get Broadband or wireless where i live.

i live in butlerstown too and i have eircom broadband but saying that, it took me a while.

Minto wrote:
    Actually, Sully, I said it would be a waste because Tramore already has a SuperValu, a Tesco on the way and a Dunnes Stores in the works. Aldi or Lidl would just be one supermarket too much for the population, if people want Lidl products, it's 15 mins in the road. Thats why I think it would be a waste in Tramore. I'm not being snobby or elitist, I leave that to the experts.

Sorry, its just how you made it out to be - singling out each store and giving it a rating ;)

Super Value is a rip-off, and holds the monopoly.

Tesco will beat them down, and offer more of the same stuff at much lower rates. This brings more shopping centre competion, and will see Super Value heading downhill unless it starts to reduce prices.

Lidl/Aldi offers a different type of shopping choice that no shopping centre in Tramore can offer. Its nothing like Tesco/Dunnes/Londis/Super Value. Its in a category all by itself, and offers something unique. They dont target the main shopping retailers for competion, as they offer a different choice anyway.

Dunnes.. we have no idea yet if its a clothes shop or shopping centre. Id assume shopping centre... wouldnt really shop there tho. Id see that more of a waste tbh.

Londis was Tramores only competion and failed because every owner they had didnt hear of keeping it clean, nor did they seem to have a clue how to run a shop. I do believe they got warnings from Health and Safety about how bad it became at one stage - as you know yourself.

So with the "new tramore" - we will see competion between two sucesfully companies: Tesco and Super Value. No more monopoly, and finaly a bit of choice. Dunnes.. iv never considered them for anything but clothes :P. Lidl/Aldi will come and offer something that nobody yet has in Tramore, and will take people from the surrounding areas.

All these new retailers answer peoples pleas: they dont want to have to drive 20mins into town, get parking, shop, get back in and drive for another 20mins back to Tramore. Its much handier if its just kept in Tramore, as the town is so big. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

mike65 wrote:
    I used to live in Tramore before it became "commuterville", twas very quiet outside the summer season and the road to Newtown cove was still rural back then! Place has gone to hell! :p

I live in (older bit of) Cherrymount which has no redeeming features being a collection of boxes built by Frisby Construction. 'nuff said I think.

Mike.

Hey yeah I used to be in a band and we used to practice in a shed off some old estate house or something out around the Newtown way...across from the driving range. Our guitarist lived around there. It was lovely in the winter, quite remote but the sea air was great and the wind would blow any remaining cobwebs right off!

Newtown cove, a beautiful spot...I never did do the dive though :o

Come to think of it, we then moved to another friends house out in Annestown to practice (had a good shed in the back yard!). We took plenty of walks there too....nasty waters around there in the winter.

We should have known from our rehearsal locations that the band would eventually be 'washed up' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Butlerstown but living in Dublin at the mo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

i for one think its a shame that so many large shopping markets will be allowed into tramore as it affect the smaller retailers in tramore and supervalu might not be able to compete with larger shopping markets and you have to remember that supervalu sponsor nearly every activity in tramore in some way.

I didn't think of that neon, I suppose if Sean Quish left Tramore, would Tesco, Dunnes or Lidl/Aldi pick up where he left off?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Dungarvan.

Hi everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Junior

Kilmacthomas.

Dhia Dhuit...

neon_glows wrote:
    i for one think its a shame that so many large shopping markets will be allowed into tramore as it affect the smaller retailers in tramore and supervalu might not be able to compete with larger shopping markets and you have to remember that supervalu sponsor nearly every activity in tramore in some way.

Your joking right? Super Valu is a small retailer? Go home out of that. Quish himself owns a fair few stores in Ireland, and the organisation itself is all over Ireland! In fact, its owned by an organisation which is huge - Musgraves. They also own Centra, amongst others. Super Valu is also in Northern Ireland and Spain. That's NOT small. That's BIG.

At the moment, they are dominant. Londis couldn't survive (partly) because of them. So did some of our smaller retailers that used to be on Main Street (our Butcher Shops, Grocery Shops etc) that gave up as a result of Super Valu. More competition will answer peoples needs - and give us more choice and better prices.

Tesco promote a lot of local activities in counties they are located anyway.

Minto wrote:
    I didn't think of that neon, I suppose if Sean Quish left Tramore, would Tesco, Dunnes or Lidl/Aldi pick up where he left off?

Hell no. Whats to pickup? The only difference is we wont have Super Valu products and over-priced products.

The alternatives will bring the same products (incl. their own brands) at lower prices in much bigger stores.

(Remember, years ago we had a Dunnes stores - popular enough I believe. Makes me wonder is it the same type of Dunnes coming back?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Originally from near Ballymacarbry but haven't lived there in donkeys years.

Moved over the border to Clonmel for a long time now live in Rosegreen.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

When was there a Dunnes in Tramore?

New Dunnes stores are pretty good, their supermarkets do a fantastic range of food, but maybe with Tesco and Aldi/Lidl it would be too much. I'd say SV will definitely be sold off, it would be very hard for them to try and compete with Tesco (i.e. they'd have to reduce prices!!). I don't get home much so I am a bit out of the loop, and I probably won't ever live in Tramore again as I'm after settling elsewhere. Still and all, I'd love to see the town get some proper shops and become a place where people didn't HAVE to travel into Waterford for everything apart from groceries, hardware and medicine. I know the city is not far at all and the bus service is not bad compared to other towns in Ireland, but as Sully said it is a pain having to go into town, get parking etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

This isn't a shops in Tramore thread.

Mossy Monk wrote:
    This isn't a shops in Tramore thread.

Maybe it should be. The convo is on both.

Chillax a bit mate, its hardly bringing this convo off-topic.

D&#233 wrote: »
    When was there a Dunnes in Tramore?

The old Xtra Vision / Londis was a dunnes if I recall correctly.

• Advertisement

Hey yeah I used to be in a band and we used to practice in a shed off some old estate house or something out around the Newtown way...across from the driving range. Our guitarist lived around there. It was lovely in the winter, quite remote but the sea air was great and the wind would blow any remaining cobwebs right off!

Across from the driving range.. there was ever only the one house, but a new one went up. Owned by Walsh. One is that old guest house the nuns used to be in, and the one beside it is a house with their daughter/son? If I recall correctly :)
    Newtown cove, a beautiful spot...I never did do the dive though :o

Ya its a great spot, espically if the weather is good. Attracts lots of people all year around tho.

Advertisement