Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Limerick for college?

• 02-07-2007 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm from Dublin, but was recently in Limerick checking out UL, and absolutely loved it. I've never been keen on going to college in Dublin, and my parents have agreed that I don't have to now.

I'm just wondering about getting work when I'm in college? Is it easy? And could ye tell me anything about where people go and things like that?? And could anyone tell me about the accomadation? I saw one of the villages. Are they nice?? Worth the money?

Thanks! xXx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

hey wats up i cant speak for the job side of things as september will be my first year too BUT i have applied for on campus as when i went down there i was real impressed with the villages(from the outside anyway and what i could see in the windows

also the amount of friends you will make in on campus would make it worth it i reckon for first year anyway

i wouldnt say it would be too hard to get a job if you start looking as soon as you get down there

also see the sticky about the best accomadation places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I have to say I find UL great, but I live at home which isn't. Getting away from home is probably one of the best things you'll do, though it's expensive enough. On campus accom is probably a bit of a trade off. There's a little more independence off campus, but all bills are generally covered in on campus accomodation whereas heat, electricity, oil/gas can soon mount up off campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Hooly22

I read the sticky, but when I was up there, the main ones they focused on were.. Kulmurry, Plassey, Cappavilla, Thomond , and Dromroe.

We were in one of the villages, very close to the sports arena, but I can't remember its name.

That's one of the reasons I wanted to know about a job, because I'll need to be able to fund myself down there. I know my mum really doesn't want me to go, but they sort of agreed I could choose the college I felt suited me best.

If anyone else knows about work down there, please let me know.

Any accomadation I should stay away from?

Oh, and is there any reasons that anyone would think I should just stay in Dublin??? What reasons should I use for actually leaving Dublin? (weird questions, I know)

PeakOutput wrote:
    hey wats up i cant speak for the job side of things as september will be my first year too BUT i have applied for on campus as when i went down there i was real impressed with the villages(from the outside anyway and what i could see in the windows

also the amount of friends you will make in on campus would make it worth it i reckon for first year anyway

i wouldnt say it would be too hard to get a job if you start looking as soon as you get down there

also see the sticky about the best accomadation places

Where are you from, can i ask??? Are you form Limerick or is there any reason you chose UL?

im from dublin too

im 21 so have wasted a few years doing a few different certificate and diploma courses so if i start a degree now it really has to be the right one

i chose ul for a few reasons

1. they had the course i want (digital media design)

2. the facilities for that course are amazing

3. the only people i know who have enjoyed college so far have either moved out of their home or have not worked threw first year. i plan on doing both and am saving my ass off at the moment to be able to do that

4. the ul campus is amazing in general i would say the best in ireland but alot of people im sure would disagree. s ports facilities amazing

5. as far as i know the village beside the arena is kilmurry, thats what i put down as number one its one of the cheaper ones but i plan on using the arena alot so its sooooo convenient.

6. my mate is in the it and i went down to stay with him for a night and the night life was class. his accomadation was right in the middle of the city and specially for students. its a good bit away from ul if your walking but it was alot cheaper than on campus

im sure other reasons will come to me but thats it for now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Well reasons to come to limerick, rent is cheaper and so is pretty much everythin else!!

The campus is great here, alot better than some its all in 1 area and you have everything beside you.

And as a person who has lived at home for college aswell as out on my own I highly recommend moving out. (I live close enough to go home in the evenings and I did for the first 2 years im going into 4th year now and moving out again in september).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Reasons for non Limerick people to come to UL.

you won't need to commute more than 25 mins if you're walking. 5 if you're driving (and an hour if you're parking:rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

The Train is only 30 yoyos once you have a student card.

There's very little you can't get on campus.

Security provided at on campus accom.

The rest is mainly course dependent.

The reason I initially stayed in Limerick was the security net of home, plus my parents guilt tripped me out of Cork with the "we'll have to remortgage if you go to Cork" line. I don't regret staying in Limerick now, but I'd love to move out, which isn't really affordable for me.

Thejob front...I'd say send in a few CV's now stating that you'll be coming to Limerick in September...and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

ninty9er wrote:
    I don't regret staying in Limerick now, but I'd love to move out, which isn't really affordable for me.

Ud be surprised how easy it is to move out if you can get the parents to commit to providing you with your food (I find the line "You'd be paying for it anyway if I was at home" helps, said slightly more tactfully of coarse:D). If you have a summer job thats your rent covered and a small bit of spends. And a saturday job gives you the rest of your money you need for the week. Try it you wont regret it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

ninty9er wrote:

There's very little you can't get on campus.

Not sure Id agree with that tbh. Pharmacies that close down when they feel like it, years and years with only one crappy little shop etc etc
    Biggest problem on campus is lack of parking - DO NOT attempt to bring a car, you just wont have anywhere to put it! :mad:

Other than the small things... its great come to UL!! hehe

tbh, the points I made above are issues in almost every campus, I was just being annoying pointing them out here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Hooly22 wrote:
    We were in one of the villages, very close to the sports arena, but I can't remember its name.

That would be Kilmurry which is the one nearest the Arena.
    Hooly22 wrote:
    That's one of the reasons I wanted to know about a job, because I'll need to be able to fund myself down there. I know my mum really doesn't want me to go, but they sort of agreed I could choose the college I felt suited me best.

If anyone else knows about work down there, please let me know.

There's plenty of places that are always looking for part time staff. PC World, Maplin, Homebase, TK Maxx just to name a few which are all a short bus journey away from UL. During the summer if you want to stay around Limerick there are places that take on Students for the summer and you can make decent money. I worked in a place called Vistakon last summer and made about €5000 and if it weren't for my multitude of bad habits it probably would have covered the majority of my living expenses for the following year.
    Hooly22 wrote:
    Any accomadation I should stay away from?

Elm Park - cardboard city.

Cheers
    Rory

• Advertisement

Thanks guys!!

Thats really helpful! And thanks Rory for letting me know there is actually somewhere I can get a job!!

I can't actually wait to get out of Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Hooly22 wrote:
    And thanks Rory for letting me know there is actually somewhere I can get a job!!

I can't actually wait to get out of Dublin!

You're welcome enjoy your time in UL, I know I certainly did. Strangely enough I can't wait to get to Dublin, I'm going the opposite direction to you in September.

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Rory u fcuking Jew..
    U name all the places that offer part-time employment and forget the one thats employing 5 boardsies...tut tut tut..
    Im not advertising Storm Cinemas here, but if you need a job, just give me a shout and I'll see what I can arrange..:D :D

Mossin wrote:
    Rory u fcuking Jew..
    U name all the places that offer part-time employment and forget the one thats employing 5 boardsies...tut tut tut..
    Im not advertising Storm Cinemas here, but if you need a job, just give me a shout and I'll see what I can arrange..:D :D

my plan is not to have to work but its not looking good at the moment. working in a cinema could be interesting.

by the way if anyone could make a quick list of any bar/club they know in limerick city which has a dj in it either playing commercial or dance music if they could let me know id really appreciate it.......i have a good idea of the main places but want as much choice as possible..............a pm would be great so as to keep the competition down :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

rmacm wrote:
    That would be Kilmurry which is the one nearest the Arena.

Avoid Kilmurry/Plassey, they're the oldest and by far the worst of the on-campus accomodation. Thomond/Cappavilla are the nicest, but slightly farther away. Dromroe is nice, and right beside the foundation building.

The on campus accomodation is expensive, but probably worth it for first years from the social point of view

Advertisement