Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to bounce a wifi signal into my apartment

• 02-07-2007 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I have been trying to connect to my friends broadband connection at the other end of my apartment block. I have managed to get the wifi signal to reach the patio of my apartment. Problem is, when I move into the apartment, I lose the signal. Am I right in saying I need a repeater to bounce the signal into my apartment. Can anybody recommend anything cheap and easy to set up? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

You can use any Wireless access point as a repeater but that will mean leaving it outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

You can use any Wireless access point as a repeater but that will mean leaving it outside.

not sure you can turn any access point as a repeater (correct me if i m wrong)

Done it myself on a number of different models.

On the D-link i am currently using there are options for :

Access Point
    Wireless Client
    Wireless Bridge
    Multi Point Bridge
    Repeater

Pretty basic D-Link as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭blink496

thanks...is there some sort of battery operated repeater that you can mount on a wall?

Not heard of one.

However, may be better to look at the transmitter your friend is using.

He may be able to get a model that will transmit further or could be directed better.

What is he using now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭blink496

He's using a fon directional antenna(6dbi). I'ts not the most powerful one I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

If you can put it inside, at the window, it may work well enough.

Alternatively you could get an outdoor wireless unit and power it via cat5 going into your apartment, but it seems a bit overkill in your situation..

Also, there isn't as much compatibility between wireless devices when you use them in a repeater mode. So they are not guaranteed to work connecting to a different manufacturer's equipment, however they usually do in practice.

Advertisement