Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money transfers using Aib internet banking.

Options
  • 02-07-2007 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Hello ,could someone please let me know if it's possible to use aib banking ,to transfer money straight to a credit union account ?
    I haven't opened a credit union account ,the option of transferring from aib to credit union is important though:) I have a code card.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Someone who knows better is bound to come along but in the meantime;

I think the answer is no in that the Credit Unions aen't directly part of the banking system (hence their customer friendly approach). They do seem to have some sort of clearing account which is what drafts etc seem to be charged to so it's possible that you could lodge to that, give a unique reference and the money would eventually trickle down to your account. It all seems very manual though and I'd say the best folk to answer this is your own CU.

You could also (if in a bind) investigate deductions at source - some employers will deduct regular amounts from your pay and remit it to your local CU for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thanks parsi ,I don't have a credit union account yet.
    I can set up mandates to go to accounts with sort codes myself ,do the credit unions use sort codes ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I asked my credit union about this and they advised there was no direct way to do it and that a direct debit was the best option.

They did say that I could transfer to their account though with my cu account number as the narrative and it would be credited within a few days - but that this isn't as reliable as dd.

I'll bite the bullet so ,I may decide an amount to post before I open a credit union account.

Is it easy to adjust direct debits ,can I increase the amount every few months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

_Brian_ wrote:
    I'll bite the bullet so ,I may decide an amount to post before I open a credit union account.

Is it easy to adjust direct debits ,can I increase the amount every few months?
    Mine let me do it by signing a mandate, scanning it into my PC and emailing it to them! Emailed Friday, actioned Monday - that's service!

• Advertisement

Happy days ,I hate banks here . Always feel like a criminal when I'm waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Most CU will have holding accounts that let you transfer money into them with a reference number (so they know its to go to your account), kind of like paying any bill. Although some CU will genuinely not have a holding account setup but always ask specifically about it.
    Although be aware if you're transfering to a CU account from aib that doesn't use an aib clearing account then transfers can take up to 7 working days to hit your CU account.

Thanks for the replies ,just thought I'd post to say that I had no problems setting up a mandate for my new CU account ,online myself.

Took three work days to hit the holding account ,all the fields that are needed are on Aib:)

Cheers

Advertisement