Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New N17 /

Options
  • 02-07-2007 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭

Who was the idiot(s) who decided that the new N17 should go from Tuam to near Athenry, surely it would have made practical sense to bring it closer to the City where it's needed. Don'e see it taking away too many of the 35,000 vehicles a day that pass through Claregalway where it's going.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think the plan was for it to link up with the M4 when it makes it's way over to Galway some time around the turn of the next century.

Whats worse is the Tuam "bypass" is going to have something like 6 roundabouts going back into Tuam meaning it's not really a bypass.

We can't plan any kind of traffic solution in this country. Even if they had traffic guards (like they do in any other civilised country) in ClareGalway at peak times it might help a little. We should gets the Brits or Germans to come and do it for us, we'll just make a complete mess of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

We shouldn't have looked for independance from Britain until we got some Motorways, lol.
    Seriously, how come the Germans can build a higher spec Motorway which includes computer sensors every few meters for less money than it costs to build what we're hoping to.:confused:
    If the N17 Motorway was closer to Claregalway, it would wipe out the problem there, as long as they build the Galway bypass at the same time of course.

With the loss of so many independent tds in the last election I'd say Galway will be forgotten about for another while. By the time they do get around to upgrading the road network it'll probably be out of date and won't satisfy our needs.

It's going to be after 2010 at least before we get any of these upgrades, which isn't good enough really, it could end up strangling the life out of Galway city. I know I won't go near the place unless I really have to because of traffic and I love Galway city.

We should be up in arms about it, marching the streets causing chaos but I suppose that won't happen either.

ScumLord wrote:
    We should be up in arms about it, marching the streets causing chaos but I suppose that won't happen either.
    A very good point. i am amused when i hear the great news for places with lesser traffic problems than us .eg, today, the Geory bypass was opened, and "it will eliminate the nightmare of 10,000 vehicles a day passing through the town,"
    Never much said outside Galway about the 35,000 and growing number of vehicles through Claregalway daily.:mad:
    Then we have the nutcases who want to stop the Galway Outer Bypass.:eek:

There is always a few who have to get their say in these things. Although for some I wouldn't hold it against them what with the governments track record of ****ing things up, destroying natural or historical sights, corruption, and just plain lack of foresight.

• Advertisement

I think the Goverment are even a bigger problem than the NRA.Vast overspending, corruption, amazing that a 4 lane Motorway here costs more than a 6 lane Autoban in Germany to build.:eek:
    So looks like the current plan is , you build a few thousand houses in designated settlement villages and you locate the Motorway (imaginary) as far away from these as possible.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

ScumLord wrote:
    Whats worse is the Tuam "bypass" is going to have something like 6 roundabouts going back into Tuam meaning it's not really a bypass.
    From what I've read in the local press this week that's been put on the back burner, so it won't be happening pre-2010. The NRA sent it back to designers because of the number of roundabouts (too many). They also want to look at extending it as far as Milltown and even on up to Claremorris.

kaizersoze wrote:
    From what I've read in the local press this week that's been put on the back burner, so it won't be happening pre-2010. The NRA sent it back to designers because of the number of roundabouts (too many). They also want to look at extending it as far as Milltown and even on up to Claremorris.
    way better, pity about it being delayed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

galwayrush wrote:
    Who was the idiot(s) who decided that the new N17 should go from Tuam to near Athenry, surely it would have made practical sense to bring it closer to the City where it's needed. Don'e see it taking away too many of the 35,000 vehicles a day that pass through Claregalway where it's going.:mad:
    Yeah, what I heard is that connecting to the new M4 near Athenry would allow for Tuam traffic to go all the way to Galway via dual carriageway roads the whole distance, but it seems like a long way round to me. I would expect just as much traffic to remain on the 'old' N17 through Claregalway, but they're still using the proposed new N17 as an excuse why the village doesn't need a bypass! :rolleyes:

Advertisement