Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A quick question.

Options
  • 02-07-2007 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

I submitted my CAO application yesterday in its final format, and because my two top choices are DT211(Computing) and DT288(Computer Science), is it possible to switch between the courses internally through the admissions office if required?, provided I have the requirements?
    The reason being, I picked 211 as the top choice and now I am left wondering have I made the wrong decision considering I could have put th other course first.
    It looks as if both courses are very similar, and because of this, switching wouldn't pose two much of a problem right?
    DT211 is originally my top choice, but I feel it is made out to be a bit of a joke in comparison to DT288 hence the request to change.
    I tried contacting the course Directors, but they are unavailable to 23 July.

-Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭strychnine

Please look at the previous threads relating to this topic as it has been exhaustively discussed before. The short answer though is no, you cant transfer between them as they are two totally different courses. You should look at the other threads though to get an idea of what they are like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Yeah, I am aware that the courses have been discussed in great detail before(Myself being the main culprit:)).
    Its just weird that they could be considered totally separate, even though they share many core modules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Most institutions will have some method of internal transfer but it'd depend on a lot of things, including how many people take up their offers, how many people drop out etc. In a lot of courses people realise it's not what they want and drop out rather soon. There are also those that get rechecks and join a week or two into the course. Not everything is set in stone and I reckon it's doable, but don't take my word for it, go and check it out. It'll most likely be a case of the course heads having the final decision, so hope they're nice people.

I think your right, I will wait and contact the course Directors as its the one issue I didnt raise when I e-mailed them about the courses a few weeks back.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I'm trying to figure out if it's better to raise the issue before or after you get into the course... hmmmina.

• Advertisement

Every little helps:D.

*damm Tesco tagline*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭strychnine

The course director for 228 is Sarah-Jane Delaney so she would be able to give you a definite answer id say.

sarahjane.delany@comp.dit.ie

Thanks again for the responses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Enda89

I wouldnt worry too much. I know a m8 of mine switched from Marketing to Business Management last year after his re-checks came in.

1 or 2 people in my course (Business Studies) changed courses as well so it's not like you'll be the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

buiness is a whole different school let alone a different building.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Enda89 wrote:
    I wouldnt worry too much. I know a m8 of mine switched from Marketing to Business Management last year after his re-checks came in.

1 or 2 people in my course (Business Studies) changed courses as well so it's not like you'll be the only one.

Computer Science is a completely different story.

Their not too fond of rif-rafters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

orla wrote:
    Computer Science is a completely different story.

Their not too fond of rif-rafters.

i won't point out the irony in that statement :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I'm in the same situation as yourself Naikon, i have Computing down first and then Computer Science and couldnt be sure as to which id actually be better off doing. I asked anyway and its possible to transfer if you get good grades or whatever but its not written in stone. I'm going to go into computing anyway (if i get it) and see what its like.

Glad to see there is someone else:)
    I had a Long hard think about it, and sure, what difference does it make at the end of the day?, they are both very similar courses at the end of the day.
    It could have been worse, I could have put "Business Computing" down *shudder*. No point kicking up a fuss now I guess:D.
    Might see you in September I guess :P (on the condition I get in:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Dunners

There shouldn't be too much of a problem transfering between 211 and 228 providing you have the grades. Most of the lecturers in the School of Computing are pretty sound anyway and they're generally accomodating as long as you don't take the pee.

Any more queries contact the SU and they'll be more than happy to help you out. The VP for Academic & Student affairs can be contacted on vpacademic@ditsu.ie or 0866031075!

Thanks very much for that info Dunners:)

Advertisement