Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying petrol wholesale

Options
  • 02-07-2007 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Could you get it cheaper say if you could fill a 500ltr tank at the back of the house?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭georgie59

Petrol has to be stored under ground in special tanks as it is flammable!!!!!!
    Glad i'm not living next door to you if you intend storing petrol in the back yard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

is home heating oil not flammable?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

There are laws regarding the storage of petrol. IIRC you can legally store a couple of gallons or so of petrol (in a domestic situation). I'm sure there are exceptions, but none that will allow for 500 litres. As has been mentioned above, underground is the preferred option for the storage of larger quantities. home heating oil is flammable, but I don't think it's in the same league as petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

i would safely say that whatever the savings would be would be well eaten up when you go to insure your house and tell them you have 500 litres of petrol against the back wall

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

racso1975 wrote:
    Nowhere near as volatile as petrol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

racso1975 wrote:

Diesel and parafin are common home heating oils, neither burns without a wick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

alias no.9 wrote:

Is there a wick in a boiler, or a diesel engine? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

alias no.9 wrote:

I think you are referring to an oil lamp when you mention a wick, I was servicing my oil fired home heating boiler a few months ago and while it has a nozzle and electrode, no wick.

But I would agree, home heating oil(marked gas oil or kerosene) are safe to store in a tank at home, storing that quantity of petrol would be dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Could you get it cheaper say if you could fill a 500ltr tank at the back of the house?
    Your house insurer will be impressed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Anyway - petrol goes off after a while and looses a lot of its octane power so it would not even be worth it economically. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Put some diesel or kerosene in a cup, light a match and then drop the match in the fuel. The match will go out. Now try the same with a cup of petrol. Then, try the same with 500 litres of the stuff.

You would not get a delivery of 500 litres of petrol to your house from any company for the simple reason that anyone is stupid enough to want that much petrol is either a terrorist or an idiot (no offence!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

You would need at least a propper tank (€€+) a licence to store hydrocarbons(€250 per year) and propper insurance(€€+) other legal and fire regulations would have to be met also. Not to mention that no wholesaler would even consider sending a tanker out to you unless you were purchasing at least 10,000 litres. Buy a diesel and you might have some chance of saving money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sleipnir wrote:
    Put some diesel or kerosene in a cup, light a match and then drop the match in the fuel.

A match will go out if you submerse it in petrol. The thing with petrol is that the fumes burn rapidly. So it's difficult to get the flame into the liquid without the fumes igniting. Once submersed, the flame has no oxygen and extinguishes - it can be done, but you gotta be real quick. If the petrol is cold enough then it will behave the same as diesel/kerosene. If you put a litre of petrol into a 2 litre soft drink bottle and put a match to the neck, it will burn like a candle* **. But if the petrol inside gets hot (use a hair dryer to heat it) then the fumes will exacerbate and the flame will become more intense. Petrol remains volatile to a very low temperature. It has a flash point of 72C. Imagine a hot sunny day and a stray spark meets some petrol vapour from a tank......... Vapour lights, petrol gets hotter - then BOOM!

*Do not try any of this at home. A controlled environment is recommended -seriously.

** the neck will eventually melt - and spill the petrol :eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The margins on fuel are so low at the moment you would not recoup much savings at all. Only way to save money on a massive scale would be to use agricultural or home heating diesel, however this is highly illegal :D

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    Only way to save money on a massive scale would be to use agricultural or home heating diesel, however this is highly illegal :D
    Regardless of the legalities, I can't see how saving money on a "massive scale" could be done with agri diesel. It would require a tank, storage space, an effective nozzle for dispensing etc. but more importantly, I don't think any insurer will provide cover with a fuel tank, in an ordinary house, for motor vehicle use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Regardless of the legalities, I can't see how saving money on a "massive scale" could be done with agri diesel. It would require a tank, storage space, an effective nozzle for dispensing etc. but more importantly, I don't think any insurer will provide cover with a fuel tank, in an ordinary house, for motor vehicle use.

The legalities are the only thing preventing massive savings from using marked gasoil (agridiesel) rather than derv (road diesel). You could just drive into a garage that sells the stuff, at just over half the price.

sesswhat wrote:
    The legalities are the only thing preventing massive savings from using marked gasoil (agridiesel) rather than derv (road diesel). You could just drive into a garage that sells the stuff, at just over half the price.
    I was referring to buying it in bulk to store at a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

crosstownk wrote:
    A match will go out if you submerse it in petrol. The thing with petrol is that the fumes burn rapidly. So it's difficult to get the flame into the liquid without the fumes igniting. Once submersed, the flame has no oxygen and extinguishes - it can be done, but you gotta be real quick. If the petrol is cold enough then it will behave the same as diesel/kerosene. If you put a litre of petrol into a 2 litre soft drink bottle and put a match to the neck, it will burn like a candle* **. But if the petrol inside gets hot (use a hair dryer to heat it) then the fumes will exacerbate and the flame will become more intense. Petrol remains volatile to a very low temperature. It has a flash point of 72C. Imagine a hot sunny day and a stray spark meets some petrol vapour from a tank......... Vapour lights, petrol gets hotter - then BOOM!
    Now we know what crosstownk spent his formative years doing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Nearly a Darwin Award winner.....

BrianD3 wrote:
    Now we know what crosstownk spent his formative years doing :D
    Arson about! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement