Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some advice please...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I've never thought those Cycle Superstore packs look like such fantastic value, like €2k+ worth of stuff and you get 10% off, woot! Some of which you may not need or could get in increments.

No direct experience on Lapierre vs Giant I'm afraid.

IF you are going online anyway you might consider that something like the Focus Cayo from Wiggle or a Planet X will get you a full carbon bike for around the same as that Lapierre you linked to, you could build up whatever accessories you might want over time. There is a distinct benefit to buying your first from a shop though, you can try them out and get the fit right.

If you are coming from a mountain bike I would imagine just about any road bike will be a massive improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

cheers blorg. Yeah, i'm hoping i'll see a big improvement. i was looking at those wiggle bikes-the one you linked to would be out of my budget really. (i'll have max 1500 for bike and other stuff) i reckon i'll need 200 for pedals, shoes, speedo and helmet. i'll add on whatever else as and when i need it.

i was looking at the focus variado but they've discontinued my size (i'm a hair under 6ft tall with a 33" inseam) mind you the variado expert is ultegra and the same weight as the lapierre with the same spec.

the scr1.0 is 900 quid it's shimano 105 - the focus variado expert is 1200, and it's ultegra..... if you were me.....what would you do!!!!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

cunnins4 wrote:
    the scr1.0 is 900 quid it's shimano 105 - the focus variado expert is 1200, and it's ultegra..... if you were me.....what would you do!!!!!

€300 is a big price difference. If you're just focussing on the groupset, then ultegra is only worth around €100 more than 105. So essentially you're wondering about what the extra €200 will get you.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Thats a great price for the SCR 1, I paid a similar price for the giant one step below it. I would purchase that and then pick up the other bits and pieces separately.
    This is what I have: http://www.giant-bicycle.com/en-GB/bikes/road/124/28819/zoom/

Its very fast and reliable and I can only imagine that the SCR 1 is a bit better.

Just ordered the giant there. £15 delivery, so the lot comes in at €911. Now to get pedals and shoes. I should probably go to a bike shop to try on shoes i guess? Don't wanna order some piece of muck off the web and find they don't fit. Gonna get keo classic pedals-unless anyone has any major problems with them? Probably gonna get the standard T2 aerobars while i'm at it. I'll wait a few weeks to get a helmet. I think i'll be set then.

Cheers for the advice lads. Now the waiting begins. Knowing my luck it'll be two weeks before the bike arrives!

• Advertisement

Getting your first shoes at a shop is indeed a good idea, in my experience the sizes seem to be around the same as trainers, which for me are +1/2 bigger than normal shoes.

Well, this sucks. Today i went into cyclelogical and bought pedals, shoes and speedo aswell as aerobars, and then i get home and winstanleys emailed me to say they don't have the bike, and that it's discontinued, so i'm back to square one. I'll have to wait til next week now until i get paid and have enough for a different bike.

So back to the drawing board. They have a Giant OCR 1.0 - pretty much the same as the SCR1.0 for €1200 - it's 105. then wiggle have that focus variado expert for the same price, but it's ultegra. Giant have a reputation, but i've never heard of Focus, so i don't know what the frame would be like.

Once again, your views are appreciated. ughhh... i'm depressed. I was so happy getting all of my stuff today, (i also passed my college exams) and was hoping to find the bike had been delivered. Now i've a load of gear and nothing to put it on.:( :(:(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

cunnins4 wrote:
    Giant have a reputation, but i've never heard of Focus, so i don't know what the frame would be like.

I've a read a few reviews of Focus models in the UK cycling press and it was all good things. While they're not as big a company as Giant, they seem to have a very good rep.

One thing to consider- if this is your first road bike- is the fit. As such you might be better off buying in a shop. I think you are overly worrying about detail, fit is going to be more important than whether your rear derailleur is Ultegra or 105.

My first road bike was a second-hand Trek 1000 from back when they came all Sora, and it went perfectly fine, certainly was a lot more nippy than my Specialized Sirrus hybrid which had 105.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

May I ask what the difference between a tri wetsuit and the 5mm c-skins wetsuit I have in the wardrobe behind me is?

• Advertisement

May I ask what the difference between a tri wetsuit and the 5mm c-skins wetsuit I have in the wardrobe behind me is?

AFAIK tri wetsuits are different thicknesses all over so they're easier to swim in and easier to get out of at transition.

I thought about the fit thing and about going to a shop, but i'm an awful tight b*stard, and there's something about getting something much cheaper on the net that stops me buying in shops a lot of the time. It sounds stupd i know, but i spend 9 or 10 months of the year absolutely broke in college so i'm just used to looking for the best value i can get. I hope it doesn't go wrong for me and i end up with something that doesn't fit right. mind you wiggle have a 7 day test ride policy, so if it isn't right, i should be able to return it.

While i'm waiting for the bike i put the spds on my other bike and took it for a spin last night and cycled to work this morning - they're feckin deadly! a bit tricky at first, but much better than straps! sweet.

Well, the bike arrived today. i was in work and went out on the p1ss afterwards, so i only got to see the bike now. it's bleedin deadly! i'm awful drunk, but i don't care! woooooo! I'm sure i'll regret this post tomorrow. for now, i'm off to bed. hang over or not, i'm testing that thing out tomorrow morning before work! woooo!!! my first road bike! i really shouldn't drink.....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

lol, just so long as you sober up before actually taking the bike out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

lol! I would never buy a wetsuit without trying it on first, they have to fit you right or they're worse than useless. Hope your kit works out for you!

cunnins4 wrote:
    ...i'm testing that thing out tomorrow morning before work! woooo!!! my first road bike! i really shouldn't drink.....:o

Ride it like you stole it.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

el tonto wrote:
    Ride it like you stole it.

Brilliant. I'm gonna use that as a motivational mantra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 blacka01

cunnins4 wrote:
    Well, the bike arrived today. i was in work and went out on the p1ss afterwards, so i only got to see the bike now. it's bleedin deadly! i'm awful drunk, but i don't care! woooooo! I'm sure i'll regret this post tomorrow. for now, i'm off to bed. hang over or not, i'm testing that thing out tomorrow morning before work! woooo!!! my first road bike! i really shouldn't drink.....:o

Brilliant! Nothing like the excitement of getting a new bike, especially when you're half cut

Advertisement