Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

peeing cats

Options
  • 02-07-2007 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Yo my last cat was a tom and he burried his business, the one I have now is a female, what are they called ? anyway she doesn't bury her business - is it a personal preference per cat or are toms just cleaner that the females

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Laura~

MooseJam wrote:
    Yo my last cat was a tom and he burried his business, the one I have now is a female, what are they called ? anyway she doesn't bury her business - is it a personal preference per cat or are toms just cleaner that the females

Hi there, the female is called a Queen and yes, they are usually fastidious in "burying their business" as you put it. It is just down to the individual cat. Occasionally, they may miss doing so if interrupted or startled by something and go off in a hurry to investigate but its quite unusual to leave matters on display. Perhaps this is a trait in a multi-cat household and used in order to tell another cat not to use their personal space ? However, during the time that we had two cats here, this didn't happen with either of them.

My cat makes such a racket burying and then picking the box edge loudly that sometimes in the middle of the night I wish she wouldn't be so thorough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

MooseJam wrote:
    Is this happening indoors in a litter box or outside in the garden?
    If it's in a litter box, is the litter changed regularly enough? (Some cats will agree to you changing it once a week, others, being more fastidious, insist on daily changing :) )
    Try different brands of litter, she might not like either the texture or the smell of that particular one.
    Is the litter deep enough? They need a good couple inches of diggable litter to make it worth their while.
    Is the litter box in a nicely private place for her? If not, she may be rushing to get out of it and not bothering to cover up.
    I take it she's not sharing the litter box? That too, sometimes encourages them to not cover.

If it's happening in your garden... is the clay soft and easy for her to dig?
    Do other cats use the garden, because if so, she may just be making sure they know it's her territory.

One of mine sometimes uses the long grass, and then spends 5 mins tearing up enough grass to cover up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

As the previous person said is this indoors or outdoors?
    Is she spayed? ( a breeding female cat is a queen, an entire male cat is a tom)
    Is she living with you for long?
    It could be a case that she is letting everyone know that this is her territory. A cat will not cover if they are trying to become the alpha.. If it's outside then she is trying to ward off others that might dare to entere her space.
    Rancid gave good advice in previous post if it is an indoor issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

It's the outdoors, i guess you would say the clay is rough, I was just curious about it, it's not something i'm trying to fix, it's not actually my cat, started hanging around and is now here all day, I think the original owners may have left because she disappeared for a week or two and when she came back she had lost loads of weight, was just skin and bone, am in the process of fattening her up now, i don't know if she is spayed or not, probably not because before she dissapeared she swelled up down below, like she was milking

Advertisement