Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Value of DCU Graduate Diploma course?

Options
  • 02-07-2007 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

I've been offered a place on DCU's Graduate Diploma in IT - two year course, part time.

I've spent the past 4 years since graduating with my primary journalism degree in various sales / customer support roles and I decided that I wanted to get into the IT sector.

With the above postgrad diploma, what are the sorts of prospects out there? As the deadline for accepting the place on the course approaches, I'm getting more and more concious that it's not a degree. I keep hearing about the chronic shortage of workers in IT, but any opinions on the real value of this course? Will it get me a job or is it a waste of two years and tuition fees?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

Do you know anyone who's done the course in the last 2 years, and how did their class fare in the jobs market?

I remember from the late 90s until 2001 a lot of people did IT conversion post-grad diplomas and got jobs out of them. But a friend of mine did the UCD course and finished up in 2001, and like most of his class couldn't get a decent (or any) job in IT. Things have improved since then but I'd try and get an honest opinion on how the course graduates got on afterwards.

That said, a university diploma in IT will be worth more in the long run than an MC$E which becomes redundant in 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Andy Mc 2010

Did you ever do that course?

I'm thinking of doing the course! Any luck with getting a job out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Did you ever do that course?

I'm thinking of doing the course! Any luck with getting a job out of it?

Just finished the course, i have been working in IT since 2000, so didnt do to get work , more for long term view , but I regret doing it, if you havent worked in IT before and wish to , I would say do it, it may help, then again i know of several people who finished it , who will struggle to get work in IT....What kind of IT work would you like to do??? As an aside I know a lot of people on the course werent too happy with DCU as a whole, if I was back again I would go to Trinity, I thought DCU would be state of the art etc, not the case, plus their admin running of course left an awful lot to be desired...Hope this helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Andy Mc 2010

Cheers for getting back to me!

I want to get into IT coming from a business background! I have a little knowledge of java from projects that I'm doing myself so I would like to use this course to get a foot in the door in the IT sector as there seems to be more jobs in the area! compared to others!

They have a similar course in Maynooth! Maybe I will go there instead!!!

Advertisement