Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband In Navan?

Options
  • 02-07-2007 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hello people first timer hear,anyone have irish bb in athlumney abbey area in johnstown navan? No line of site with digiweb,bt are a joke and eircom are costing me a fortune.Are ibb any good hearing bad reports 3meg up 3meg down? Would it be worth getting rid of eircom 2meg? Any ideas where there nearest mast is? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

their service in carlow is rubbish...so much so my friend is suing them...

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

Hi scottd

IBB's mast in Navan is on the tower at the ESB station up near the Leisure Link Swimming Pool. Athlumney Abbey should be in range in fact i know sombody in there who has it, but also sombody who couldn't get it, so you don't know until they come out to do signal test. However as digiweb are on the same tower you are unlikely to get breeze if you can't get digiweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pedropumpalot

IBB in Navan have two Breeze products:

BreezeMax & VL

Breeze Max operates around 3.5GHz and VL is about 5.5GHz, they usually deploy these two technologies on the same antenna (dual band). Because BreezeMax operates at much lower frequencies is can propagate further than the VL. So in some areas you might be able to get both, one or neither. BreezeMax goes about 10-15km without any obstructions while VL only goes about 5/6km also dependent on terrain and clutter. Whether you get connected depends primarily LOS, SNR's and the MIR (Maximum Information Rate) of the BTS which could be reached when they have 50 to 70 customers connected. The more each customer uses the greater the MIR. Hope this helps. These are both quality products and there should be no problem provided your house meets the criteria mentioned above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 scottd

Thanks people,still dont no weather 2 switch or not any other suggestions hate paying eircom rip off prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

their service in carlow is rubbish...so much so my friend is suing them...

on what grounds? interesting....

• Advertisement

Thanks pedropumpalot for the info,still not sure hearing too many bad vibes about ibb,i was with bt 2meg couldn't download a song after 6pm at least eircom seem 2 b a bit more consistant but there 2 dear,the ibb deal with 3meg up and down and calls 2 uk looks like a good deal just dont want 2 go back 2 a crappy service.Thanks 4 d help.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pedropumpalot

If you do go with IBB ask the installers if the SNR is greater than 20, if not I'd question the connection.

Will do cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

BreezeMax & VL

Breeze Max operates around 3.5GHz and VL is about 5.5GHz, they usually deploy these two technologies on the same antenna (dual band). Because BreezeMax operates at much lower frequencies is can propagate further than the VL. So in some areas you might be able to get both, one or neither. BreezeMax goes about 10-15km without any obstructions while VL only goes about 5/6km also dependent on terrain and clutter. Whether you get connected depends primarily LOS, SNR's and the MIR (Maximum Information Rate) of the BTS which could be reached when they have 50 to 70 customers connected. The more each customer uses the greater the MIR. Hope this helps. These are both quality products and there should be no problem provided your house meets the criteria mentioned above.
    Very interesting stuff that. IS this VL thing a higher-end business product or what? I'm looking into getting 2 Mbps Breeze from Mount Oriel in Co. Louth. I can see the masts and a couple of houses up the road have it but I'm a bit shy of 9 km from the masts. Any info on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

BreezeMax & VL

This is true in Navan IBB have 3 BreezeMax sectors covering different parts of the town however the one that points in the direction of Johnstown(sector 3) and thus covers Athlumney Abbey is fully subscribed and therefore closed to new customers, as is the the one that points in the general direction of the Trim road (sector 5). The other one (sector1) points over towards Clonmagadden fort and Blackcastle etc and remains open.

The 5.4 is only recently errected and covers approximatly the same areas as sector 3 and 5 on the BreezeMax although obviously does not have the same
    range. If you can get the 5.4 it should be good as it is only about 6-8 weeks since it was errected and would not have many subsribers yet. However as time goes on and more subscribers are added it could get less good.

• Advertisement

Thanks gingerGiant very helpful.

Advertisement